Life goes on - Summer 2023

Since it started in 2006, and we didn’t start the whole global warming stuff until 2010, it is probably more of a safety issue.

My issue with it is, they are supposed to be tamper proof, and CO sensors don’t last very long. 5-7 years is the expected lifetime.

This is where I get into a quandry. It actually encourages people to not be safe because it is supposed to automatically shut off when you aren’t operating it safely. It may also shut off when you need to save your life and the sensor is malfunctioning.

6 Likes

What do you think SteveU? Wasn’t it your premise that the wise course of action would be to live where enforcement is just too much of a hassle for them? Sage advise. Laws are already to complicated for me to remember what I’m supposed to do and not do. I have always chosen to just go with I won’t mess with you if you don’t mess with me. Never cared about drug laws, emissions, mandates of any kind and my middle finger has always been my favorite one.

7 Likes

Sorry to see and here your gardon damage from hale- I wounder if sweet potatos would be recked from hale since the plant lays close to the ground and potato’s under the dirt. hope you can recover some big portion of your gardon? Would a green house roof hold out the hale you all had in the area.I see now that you say potatos are some what hale resistant or servivable. My tomato plants 48 of them i planted late in season are just limping along- and i planted cherry or mini tomatos by mistake from the green house tags.THEY are slow i think they were in the tini pots too long.

3 Likes

I think some basic safety laws are good. I worked as a forensic engineer for years and some designs were just plain dangerous. However, things have improved to the point where a lawyer told me he might have to shut down his business because all the safety measures in factories has lessened the amount of injuries.

I think, though, that safety is like any medicine. You can easily overdose and do more harm than good. It is a little ridiculous when building codes tell you the minimum distance between stiles on a staircase (so child can’t get his head trapped) and that you can’t have a light fixture in a closet (you could start a fire).

When I lived in the Massachusetts, there was this beautiful set of waterfalls and glacial potholes on the Deerfield River. People would always hang out in summer and enjoy the water. That is until someone slipped and sued the town. So they closed down the attraction and made it illegal to use. So many things are like this. You aren’t allowed to endanger yourself.

In Chile, there is so little of this probably because it is not a litigious society. They realize there are risks in life and they take responsibility for their actions. And if you do something stupid and kill yourself, well, the gene pool is improved.

So for your safety, you can’t have a generator that puts out too much CO because you might use it in your garage. You’ll soon won’t be able to have a gas stove in NY - too much CO in the air. Funny, I have never killed myself yet with a generator or a gas cook stove. Maybe I’m just not trying hard enough.

10 Likes

Not joking. Gas ovens were a popular way to commit suicide for a while. As was running the car in the garage. And possibly some of the accidental generator deaths were also suicides.

The stair example, I can actually get onboard with because having standard heights for stairs makes it easier to climb. If it helps a kid not get stuck that is fine.

I didn’t know light fixtures weren’t allowed in closets, but with incandescent bulbs I get that they could easily start a fire. It is probably about the same as it being illegal to sell Lampshades without fire retardent.

4 Likes

Unfortunaly sweet potatoes are hit and miss in our climate…

In hail storms like this even the greenhouses get destroyed. It has to be a strong mesh, and done correctly not to collapse under the weight of hail.

Same here. For some reason, this year tomatoes and peppers grow nowhere…

7 Likes

I would look at the hoop house style that Bill Schiller used. It is just livestock panels bent in a U shape and covered with plastic. Hail might puncture the plastic, but he said it didn’t collapse with their massive snowstorms. Clear packing tape might fix the holes in the plastic. It is just builders plastic they use for a moisture barrier.

2 Likes

This is what I have on the top of my greenhouse. 14 mil UV resistant. It’s been on there for 4 years now with no deterioration.

6 Likes

The plastic we have on our hoop house is very stretchy, when I put it up I made the error of ’stretching’ the arches outwards as much as possible to make for a bigger area inside, well that was a mistake as well as stretching the plastic only by hand which meant that when it rained it got trapped between the arches and the length supports and hung down there.
The plastic stretched down about three feet and had roughly 80-90 gallons of rainwater in it, there were about six of those ’pools’ on the greenhouse so I got sick of dealing with that after a while and simply poked holes in the plastic so it would self-drain, expecting it to pop like a balloon, it also collected loads of snow so we had to go out and clear the hoophouse everytime it snowed and that is not wanted.

We ended up taking the plastic off last fall and this spring we pushed the arches together as much as possible instead to raise the roof and get different angles so it wouldn’t happen again and tightened the plastic with pulleys and stretched as much as I dared and then a little bit more. Now it is like a drumskin, very tight and no water collects anywhere, we’ll see about the snow later.

My point is that the greenhouse plastic we bought is very moldable and can take a lot of weight (not sure about hail impacts though) and it actually retracted mostly as well surprisingly enough.

I bought it from an old grower/greenhouse salesman that actually wanted to help and not just sell stuff so with his help we decided on this plastic. Not sure of the thickness or even brand but it is pretty thick and very ’fat’, no tape really sticks on it (not even greenhouse hole-patch tape) and uv- resistant of course. Very stretchy and I know he said he imported it himself from Israel, perhaps it helps someone.
Oh, and it was surprisingly cheap, I bought almost 400m2 (3500 square feet) and only paid 450$ and that was with the shipping included (which was close to 100$).
If anyone wants to know I can dig a little to see if I can find the manufacturer at least, just ask me.

Long story but I felt the context was needed.

9 Likes

Does that have reinforcing threads in it like a poly tarp? That is a very good price. I bet it’s much more now. I have several rolls of regular 6 mil visqueen, 20X100 ft unreinforced. I bought to store for preps. I paid $79 dollar a roll for it several years ago. Now it’s at least $150 a roll.

6 Likes

I think I bought it in 2019.

No reinforcements in it.
This is what the marks on it looks like

12 Likes

That logo I posted above is from a company called Ginegar in Israel

2 Likes

oh the threads would block some light but stop tears, wouldn’t they?

Can’t say for certain but doesn’t seem to hurt anything… I did have a branch fall through the roof and only made a small hole which would have been a tear without the reinforcing. When I build a tunnel it will be one of these designs. Big fan of this guy. I’ll wait until after the pole shift to do it though, if I’m still respirating. .

2 Likes

Years apart I made up two overhead covered chicken pen extensions onto their 8’x8’x8’ chicken house. I needed protection from hawks, owls and even now eagles.
I used the 16 foot by 50 inches welded rod galvanized cattle panels; arched bowed at 8 feet across.
These have mostly 6 inch by 8 inch grid openings. One I covered in 1/2" by 2 inch galvanized cage wire. The other in just plain 1 inch chicken wire.

(the original one now has a 10+ year old volunteer apple tree growing up thru-it and across-it the wild birds planted)

Both of these did accumulates up to 18 inches of snow. Inches of freezing rain accumulations. And the occasional hail storm. Small hail. Never larger than 1/4" 4.5mm.

For big hail resistance as Kristjan is seeking these done instead in a Gothic arch shape I think would be very large hail protective. You want the hail striking to hit obliquely. Never at a straight on.

Others have covered these panel bow covers with clear poly with 1-2 year success. Poly thickness and especially stretching it tight to not be able to winds flap, and contact abrade, like JohanM does extends the service life.
With 6" x 8" supported grid I do not think additional plastic reinforcing filaments would be needed.
S.U.

11 Likes

I have so many zuchinnis this year, l used them for target practice :smile:

Well we probably all know what this realy is, but l must say lm amazed. Not a single matured one rotted, they scabed over and healed, and those were serious deep blows. Nature is resiliant.

17 Likes

Aurora Borealis?
No.
Alpenglow.
We get that a lot here. Photographers and nature spiritualists wait often down on Silver Lake’s edge viewing eastwards for the magic moments.

It was stronger, brighter. I just could not get to a camera quickly enough. Ha! There had been a half moon in this view too. The clouds thickened, obscuring.
S.U.

13 Likes

The weather calmed down a bit and the atmosphere cooled down, and I took advantage of this to concretize the floor slab and straighten and harden the surfaces in the surrounding area. I am still waiting for the construction of a wooden building, similar to the existing one.

21 Likes

Very nice Tone, you’re an artist :+1: :+1: :+1:

11 Likes

Goran, thank you. I have to prepare a place, if there might be a meeting of wood gas drivers in the future, dry fuel must be at hand… :grin:

14 Likes