Life Goes on - Summer 2024

Well, my personal opinion about bicycles is it’s a good transportation device when beer or alcohol consumption makes motor vehicle driving dangerous/illegal :woozy_face:
Or just for shorter trips.

About duck eggs i don’t like the stringy texture, or the slightly “fishy taste”, but it could be different from another duck breeds?
I’ve heard the eggs from musk ducks (translation?) should be pretty tasty?

6 Likes

I got one of those too, but with the floor sanding attachment. One coffee and it’s good for several hours.

6 Likes

I will go out on a limb because I haven’t had duck eggs since I was a kid and say the taste might be relative to what they are eating. The meat flavor is affected by what they ate. If they are eating swampy stuff like duckweed or algae, then it will taste fishy.

5 Likes

Learned a little FreeCAD today to make a part from a reference image. Needed a block-off plate.

As long as you know the dimensions and you have a good picture taken from a square angle it’s a good way to reverse engineer things.

Part is printing right now. Just filled in everything but the bolt holes.

13 Likes

Congrats! How did you like freecad?

7 Likes

It’s alright, I have no other frame of reference and I think that’s a good thing. Everyone that’s spoiled by the paid CAD programs say they dislike how the program is configured. It’s alright for me because I don’t have to unlearn anything.

8 Likes

Exactly. Its from geting from A to B.

Ok that makes sence. All we ever had were Muscovy ducs.

8 Likes

I’ve worked in several CAD packages over the years. I think you get hooked on the first one you use and then it’s a real pain to relearn how to do things. I started in 2D with DesignCAD back when it had a DOS interface. Shortly thereafter I had occasion to use AutoCAD and it was gibberish to me. Things definitely got better when Windows came along, but the 3D stuff is very different in various programs. I liked 3D in 3DStudio, Solidworks not so much and DesignCAD it’s horrible, although DesignCAD 2D is still my go to drafting program. Maybe I’ll try Freecad some day, but haven’t had the need to do 3D stuff in years. Maybe if I get a 3D printer… :thinking:

7 Likes

I just wondered if you had issues and struggled with it, or whether it was fairly straight forward.

Especially if you use the first one a lot. I had a hard time in the 2d world switching from FreeHand to Illustrator. And even when I am using FreeCAD, I am still find myself thinking about drawing it like I was in FreeHand, and I haven’t used that in 20 years. :slight_smile:

It is also why I say bite the bullet and just start with FreeCAD rather then “an easier” program. The easier programs may get from point A to point b faster for something simple but don’t have the capability to get to point B for something more complicated, and then you are back unlearning what you know while trying to learn a new system.

3 Likes

First cucumber in the new greenhouse, it will be fun to see if there will be any corn and Brussels sprouts.
Not too long before the tomatoes arrive either.

20 Likes

I picked my first cuke yesterday as well Jan. Kind of a miniature thrill to finally see some result after months of work. I have a bunch of clusters of little green cherry tomatoes too. Don’t forget to shake those corn stalks. No wind to move the pollen in a greenhouse. Your set up looks great. I’m a big fan.
Weather has cooled down enough that I can function again. I’ll have a full day just getting all my tomatoes tied up. Way overdue.

13 Likes

Thanks Tom.
I had to go and see if there was anything to shake, and when I looked closer I saw that it is coming.

15 Likes

Happy midsummer everyone. :smiley:
Why not swing by, grab a plate for a piece or two and sit down for a chat :blush:

19 Likes

I don’t have a car :sob:, but oh how good it looks, happy midsummer to you all.

12 Likes

Happy Midsummer my friends.

Here follows some pic’s of a nearby midsummer parade.

21 Likes

Happy Midsummer Göran, you look like you’re having a lot of fun down there.
I think that song was the only one my father could play on the accordion.

12 Likes

I always wonder why the the summer solstice is celebrated. I just means we are losing daylight from here on out. I think maybe the wicca people celebrate here. No one else seem to pay much attention. Cindy must be the Midsummer queen with her crown of daisies.

10 Likes

Well Tom, I’m going to celebrate your solstice here. It means the days are going to get longer for me! All a matter of perspective I guess. :wink:

14 Likes

Happy midsummer!
Grandkids, flowers, playing, good food and drinks. No gasifier lit during this day, but other than that it was perfect.

22 Likes

Beautiful! Big thing overthere, midsummer?

Overhere it is still mid autumn :neutral_face: But I like the light and enjoying the long days.

10 Likes