Life Goes on - Summer 2024

Yea, count your fingers for sure. But those exposed power take off shafts really scare me. Yikes!

8 Likes

I found this on Temu. Some may laugh, or others just admit it is true. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Hey @Woodrunner , you need a display like this for your shows, but with your collection might take a half a log truck to set em all up :grin:

11 Likes

Interesting map when it comes to drying chunks.
Hours of sunshine Europe vs US.

17 Likes

Wow, had no idea you guys in middle to northern Europe were so sun deprived! Explains why rickets was so widespread there.

8 Likes

This map seems highly accurate. The boundry of zones goes exactly between Tone and me, and even thugh we are less thain 50 miles apart as the crow flyes our climates are vastly different

12 Likes

Apparently Europe is getting more sun on average now.
https://climate.copernicus.eu/ESOTC/2019/sunshine-duration-and-clouds

4 Likes

On my way to work, stopping at the road side to check
the straps before I enter civilisation.
Second pic - obtainium hunt. Johan found some sturdy 1/2" firetube material :smile:

24 Likes

Is this true? A new rule in the EU bans garden fires. All in the desire to limit CO2 I suppose - a gas that is 0.04% of the atmosphere and is necessary for plant life. Well, I will continue my efforts here to keep that level from falling.

"People will be banned from starting bonfires in their garden to burn garden waste such as grass, leafs and sticks.

This is because the new law requires that food and organic waste be sorted and recycled.

Meaning that people who are tending their garden will have to either compost their garden waster or deliver it in for recycling.

In Scandinavia it is tradition in the spring where homeowners tend their garden and start bonfires to burn up garden waste, which will now be banned."

9 Likes

In our state, we already have bans for what they call ‘open burning’ for probably 2-3 decades. It started with burning trash in the 70s because people burnt plastics, which created dioxins. Then particulate emissions were added in the air from the smoke especially leaves, and fires that got out of control and spread. Nothing to do with CO2 at all. Even a firepit for a bonfire has certain regulations like it has to be in a ‘container’. You can still burn brush, but you need like a 50 dollar permit, and are only allowed to do it on certain windless still damp days, and I think they might inspect it.

Burning of coal for home use is essentially banned as well under the same air quality regulations.

5 Likes

Read about that, but from what I understand - at least up here - it doesn’t apply to “ordinary” people. I read some municipality officals already made statements to calm upset people down.
But what the clerks down in Brussels don’t seem to understand is that Scandinavian countrie’s freedom to roam is written into our constitutions. Directly translated from Swedish “every man’s right” means you have the right to hike, bike, ride, swim, pick wild berries and mushroom, camp and make a campfire, on any land - public or private. Comes of course with responsiblities such as - not close to someones back yard, no littering and no damage of crops.
No, our bonfires, campfires and garden fires are here to stay. If not, we’ll join Norway and go Swexit :smile:

17 Likes

Ours was initially a ban by municipalities, and in towns first.

We still have the right to an open fire for cooking. If you make a big bonfire have a pack of hotdogs or a cooking pot handy.

7 Likes

Martin, I think the law is according the the reasons Sean is mentioning. Especially in the country side some people burn their trash and smoke neighbours out of their houses. I have seen it, some people are just stupid. Again, the same as with woodstoves, if there is no smoke, nobody is complaining.

Yes JO, I heard about that and wonder how that works in real life. Just people walking and camping in your garden? Or your gardens are so big you dont see anyone?

5 Likes

Look at the people who make all these laws. Giant ticks in suits and ties. The create nothing, build nothing and know nothing. I have found it best to ignore everything they say.

11 Likes

I think it’s about a tradition of common sense, but that’s getting harder to maintain with an increasing number of forign influx.
If I remember correctly I think the law says a minimum of 150m from someones house or lawn. In reality - out of sight. If you’re born and raised here you wouldn’t want to disturb anyway. We’re generally quite shy and introverted up here :smile:

14 Likes

I’ve read that in Scandinavia and Finland, the “personal space bubble” is much wider than in a lot of other countries.

8 Likes

When you talk about this, I have a summer neighbor who parks an old car and has 2 snowmobiles, built a roof over the snowmobiles on our land, and yesterday he wondered if he could put gravel under the place for the car.
I don’t like this, but don’t know if I’m being ridiculous?

10 Likes

Much of this I believe comes down to population density.
I’ve been to Brussels and surrounds.
Byciled around the low countries including edges of France and Germany.
Dense populations.
Been in dense parts of the US and Canada.

Now go out into the low population density areas and things you do individually are much more just your own concerns.
A few area neighbors here live in self-made junk yards. Their concern.
Yet here if you hunker down along public street-sides; spilling out into sidewalks and occupy take over camp-trashing public parks it is terrible too. Have to have written laws with enforcement powers.

I really see our current “You Musts” of today as conducting a religious level belief of cultural conquest insistent that what offends them cannot not be allowed anywhere in “their world”. Just read thier stuff. Actually listen to them. One of the most recent claims coming out of California:
One small yard and garden IC engine running for an hour will pollute as a much as a Toyota Prius driving from L.A. city to Denver Colorado city.
Those types of overblown claims are actually believed by too many here.

One gardener fall or spring burning off their garden space declared as a climate changing Selfish.
Yet the decreased impacts of those who local-grown ate off of that garden: versus truck-rail-ship-airfrieghter eating now said to be B-a-a-a-d for the planet in academic papers. Sheeez.
Shows you cannot reason with the the hard core Eco-religious, Anti-of-everything traditional. Let alone ever compromise with them. They will not quit. They want it all.
Do NOT allow them Progressive marching room to inch their way to dominece over you. That’s their game to win.
At least make then pay hard for every inch. Be the fish that throws the hook and swims away.
Steve unruh

11 Likes

I think it is all up to you and how you feel about it, if you don’t want gravel there then say no. After all, it is your land and you decide what to have on it.
Otherwise, where does it end?
Some people feel entitled to a lot of things but it is not up to them in this case.

7 Likes

I don’t want to disagree with him either, but the point is that he asked if he could put a scooter on my land 5-6 years ago, and promised on honor and conscience that he would remove it in the spring, now it is 2 there and a roof, i am getting a little angry. Don’t know how to tell him.

10 Likes