Life Goes on - Summer 2024

Jan, I would politely tell him to start removing that from your property. Perhaps get it in writing for an agreed timeline so there can be repercussions if they fail to get it out.

8 Likes

Way, way too early but I have Russet Burbank seed potatoes cut drying for “my” end of the raised bed planting tomorrow. I am sure I can cover this for frosty nights.
Wife will three different varieties of potatoes plant this year in the bottoms sliced grow-cans.

And tonight we will have our own grown rhubarb pie! It’s that or a dandelions salad out of the no-chemicals yard.
Wild and gone-wild strawberries in blooms now.

Ha! And I did have a warming wood stove fire this morning. Will have a pee-looting wood stove fire this evening.

There you go TomH.
Piss on 'em in each and every small way. Them: claiming the whole world as theirs to dictate with.
Steve Unruh

14 Likes

Yes, he came now and wanted to build a space to fix scooters and stuff right next to my border, I’ll see if I could get him to make a place for his stuff at the same time on his land.
I think it would be better for him to put gravel on his land instead of mine.
Will have to try to find a good way to suggest this.

11 Likes

That’s right Cody. That’s why we were all surpriced why we would get closer together than usual with the covid distance recommendations :smile:

8 Likes

Jan, ask him to buy your land, he is using it already. In our country, if you use the neighbours land for more than 15 years it automaticly changes owner…the original owner loses all his rights.

And yes JO, Covid was in many ways a very very strange situation. Very bad for city people.

6 Likes

I don’t want to sell the land, my wife and I got it from her parents, and we want to pass it on to our boys.

10 Likes

I sure you are way more pleasant than I am Jan and I don’t know your laws. Would not be a problem for me. I’d offer to put that gravel up his ass and give him notice that the scrap yard is coming for his stuff. He is not a neighbor I’d want to associate with anyway. Just a user. I guess that’s why all my friends are in cyberspace.

I’m jealous of your beds SteveU and I can’t figure out your climate. Still a month before I’d dare plant potatoes and 6 weeks until our last frost date. I bought russet burbank seed potatoes this year. First indeterminates I bought in a while. Just growing those and my saved Yukon Gold. Giving any reds a break. They are much more prone to scab than I want to deal with this year. I like rhubarb and have had some planted for years but I don’t eat it or spinach because I"ve had kidney stone in the past and avoid oxalic acid foods like the plague.

12 Likes

He has not stayed with the couple years agreement. Time to charge him for parking spaces. It is your land.

13 Likes

I had a neighbor like that once. He wanted to park his equipment on my land because it was “hard to maneuver out of his driveway.” Right. It was hardly ever used. He just didn’t want it messing up his view of his landscape. Why does your neighbor need to use your land? He doesn’t want to mess up his own?

I would be very suspect as he wants to build a repair shop nearby. What kind of stuff will be leached into the soil? And how many scooters will have to be parked on your land? I would nip this in the bud immediately before the cancer grows. I understand you don’t want to appear to be a prick, but your neighbor crossed that line years ago. And as Joep mentioned, adverse possession of the land could cause you to lose it. That may even be the intent of your neighbor.

If you don’t want to cause a row, you could demand that your neighbor has to at least pay rent as Bob suggested. Write up a lease so that he can’t claim adverse possession in the future. Add in the lease what is allowed and not allowed (number and type of vehicles parked, modifications or constuctions, etc.). Make it very detailed. Add a penalty clause that says if any terms are violated (including payment on a timely basis), the lease is voided and he has to vacate the property or you will have his stuff removed. Maybe just facing a lease will get him to move his stuff back onto his own side of the property line.

11 Likes

Very good advice from Marty. Having 15 plus years of landlord experience, I can say that too many people think you owe them something just because you have what they want.

GC

14 Likes

Thanks for the answers, then it feels so wrong in tea that I don’t like this, but his father usually tells me, it doesn’t matter you have so much, hmm.

7 Likes

Ah, the old communist philosophy “from each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”. Never has turned out well in any country that embraced this ideal.

12 Likes

JanA. you helping adults, “growing them” is no different than growing children.
You helping them must result in their growing less-needs-from-you.

An adult asking for more, needing-more; is a strong signal to back away from them. Cut them loose. Even to the point of forcing physical distancing. Forcing uninvolments.

You’ve let him show his intents long enough.

It is really a matter of Respect. He does not respect you, and your property.
And if you cannot respect others that is a clear signal that person cannot respect themselves. Then anything, everything is possible to them. No limits at all to that persons actions, and demands.

Cutting him loose - HARD. NOW. At least that will give you hope maybe he will be shaken and grow up a little more. This can be your service to him.

Regards
Steve unruh

14 Likes

Hey TomH. I did say I/We are this year now on our first living here Spring; out first use of these high raised beds are forcing trying possibilities.
Weak North Pacific storm low-pressure now for two days. Then Mid-continental “Canadian” high-pressure bubble for the following two days. Morning frosts for-sure.

Out here far-west wetside the growing of storable carbohydrates is always the severe challenge. Too wet. Too short of seasons for good grain crops. Too cool for rice and such. And potatoes tend to blight badly. The Native Indians out here mucked out lacamas root-bulbs from bogs and shallow lakes with their toes for their modest starches.
Ha! Ha! That eat all meat diet; and weeds and grass diary works here for known reliability.

But I do love potatoes . . . easy to just annual buy bulk from Idaho . . . easy to just buy bulk rice from California and Texas . . . but . . . everything has to work to to deliver.
S.U.

10 Likes

Tell him no and make him sign an agreement. Joep is right, in some countries, you could lose your land. We call it squatters rights and with nothing on paper, you have nothing to back up your story that you just let him build a shed and a driveway on your property. He can just deny it.

or just tell him no, and put up a greenhouse or something there.

8 Likes

btw, if you don’t want to tell him personally. They invented lawyers for this very purpose and it is well worth the couple hundred bucks to protect your property rights, and go through options. They might suggest say a survey first or draw up a rental agreement. He might be betting that you aren’t going to do anything.

5 Likes

I doubt there is a ideal climate for a wide variety of food crops Steve. We adapt because we a stubborn species and don’t like to be defeated.
I knew people in Montana, now deceased, who were able to buy hundreds of pounds of potatoes for chump change because they were not pretty enough for store sales or whatever. Michigan is a big potato grower as well and if you want to drive to the mid-eastern side of the state similar values are available. Still, I like to know I can provide for myself even if it’s not necessary or even economically advantageous. Jesse, the NO-Till guy says he pays 5 dollars a pound for certified organic seed potatoes because that’s his business but all my self grown, self saved seed stock is organic and probably pennies a pound. The new seed stock I just bought will be organic in another year. I Paid $80 cents a pound for it. I’m not sure growing potatoes in your expensive raised beds will provide you with the best bang for the buck, but even if you were just growing for seed in the event you could no longer get commercially grown, that would make the used space worth growing in. I have never had any success growing potatoes vertically in pallet bins but I bought the russet burbank indeterminates this year because I want to experiment with a few different “tower” systems I also like the way potato plants look.

10 Likes

It always reminds me of the guy that had gnarly carrots and decided to machine them into baby carrots and sold them for a premium. :slight_smile:

Mustard is effectively used to control some fungus and blights in potatoes.
Here is one article on it.

6 Likes

I have always wondered how turpentine and tar are made. I figured out tar, all on my own. I am willing to try this on Pinus sylvestris or Scotch Pine. We have it here and it is useless for anything else.

6 Likes

Being from a major Turpentine area, it’s neat to be driving by and see some cat faced pines.

I like to think of Turpentine as Maple Syrup’s red-headed cousin. I’ve heard and seen some videos about how it’s good for adding to veg oil to thin it for diesels and can allegedly drop crud out of solution.

6 Likes