Life Goes on - Summer 2024

Hey TomH. I guess this should all be on one of the grow-foods topics . . . But . . .

This cover is to keep the white eggs laying moths off of our cabbages. No more birds problems either.

Look at these 32" high metal sided . . .
Think we will have a slugs problem anymore . . .
With three dogs out and about no rabbits, skunks, raccoon problems either. No more deer in the dog fenced yard. These are within that dog fenced yard.
No more moles problems. No more dogs digging for moles problems.

Nothing more disheartening than to lose irreplacable 6-8 weeks of growing season to any of these.
The wife and I only need 400-600 pounds of potatoes. She found early seed potatoes for $1.00 a pound.
S.U.

12 Likes

Im going to make some tar and turpentine this spring, i may start a thread about it?
(Not in my gasifier i hope :rofl:)
Some youtube videos is planned, i just need to harvest some pine stumps.

13 Likes

That would be greatly appreciated, and also what to do with the tar.

8 Likes

What i have in mind at the moment is to repair my “gĂ€rsgĂ„rd” translation?
Dip the poles in tar to avoid rotting.

9 Likes

Yes, but the tar I get is so thick, so it can’t be used, unless I heat it very much, and then it should only be on the outside of the wood.

7 Likes

I have not seen that type of set up for those beds Steve. Impressive. I’d be thinking about a way to duplicate that netting with plastic for an early season grow house next year.

8 Likes

Yes, please make a new thread. Very interesting, looking forward to that :smiley:

7 Likes

You can also use the resin from pine trees to make a flux for electronics by dissolving it in isopropyl alcohol.

5 Likes

Yes, the old soldering tin, i love the smell of resin flux, much better than modern synthetic :smiley:

6 Likes

Not quite summer here yet, supposed to have a few days of this, darn global boiling.

17 Likes

I heard it was supposed to snow there today. Look like it’s back to winter again.

The last few days it’s just been raining here.
It makes it difficult to work on stuff and not get to wet.

13 Likes

Ouch. Dare I put up my own this morning’s picture??

Many, many (TOO MANY!!) do move out here far-West wetside of the continent for the milder marine climate.

We had to sheets and blankets cover last night for this morning’s clear sky frost.
This house and garden corner spot is our sunniest on the whole property.

S.U.

18 Likes

I made a pic and some of tou guys were wondering how the haywagon worked a while back.
I picked up another one for free a week or two back and there were lots of things the previous owner took off it to use for other projects and I have been fixing it up these past few days to store firewood on as well as to use it as intended to begin with.
I made a short movie after I fixed it so it runs in case someone still wonders how it works, this is the testrun.

16 Likes

Cindy wants to say hi to uncle Tom :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

No BS. I was just wondering how you guys were doing, yesterday. You tell her I said she was a sweetie pie.

9 Likes

Haha, looks almost the same as oldest daughter’s late Cocker Spaniel Harry. Only he had more extra skin under his eyes and looked a bit stupid :smile: But a heart of gold.

9 Likes

“More extra skin under his eyes”-you haven’t seen Cindy when shes tired, i wonder how shes able to see anything with that hanging face :rofl:

7 Likes

A short video from yesteryear I forgot I had :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Another new type of IC engine.

13 Likes

Thanks Don this is amazing!

8 Likes