Life goes on - Winter 2015

I new the clouds didn’t look good this morning we got a light frost.

5 Likes

So I finally got my newish Dakota up to “65 mph” (over sized tires seem to be throwing off the speedometer), which is tough since the only decent area for that is the heavily trafficked/patrolled US101 which is a 55 zone.

I’m trying to figure out how far off the speedo is by the RPMs. I’d heard that with the “standard” rear-end ratio, which I have, one should get almost exactly 2,000 RPMs at 65 mph.

Of course, that’s exactly what I got out of my little experiment. It wasn’t until afterwards that I realized: “duh, the same ‘changed ratio’ affecting the speedo would also affect the engine speed (RPMs) at the same rate.”

Apparently, I fell asleep in the middle of writing but still posted it. >_<

Hello Brian .

Here in Alabama I found some folks ( actually they found me ) that will help with your speedometer accuracy, but very expensive . I would try a GPS

5 Likes

Are they the same folks that also train in seat belt placement?:grin:

1 Like

Yes Mr. D.

They give very good instructions where the seat belt should be . They do charge for this service but you can pay by credit card over the internet.

2 Likes

I’ve actually thought of stopping by a cop RADARing people, and asking if they’d give me a speed quote without giving me a ticket. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Brian and all; I would suggest that you take a 100 ft tape measure and mark off a 1/4 mile on a back road. Using an accurate stop watch or a watch with a second hand and clock yourself holding the speedometer at a constant speed. You can calculate the “actual” speed using the time and distance. Convert that to a percentage of the speed the speedo was reading and you can calculate the speed at any speeo reading.
I am not a Dodge man – GM is my bag. Here is what I found for GM’s and there maybe something for Dodge like this. If you read the article, he has recommendations that corrections can be done for a couple of dollars or go to GM dealer and spend big bucks. The best I thought was to send your DRAC to him and for $100 he will calibrate it.

http://www.tbichips.com/drac/

TomC

1 Like

Hey Tom, there is forgiveness for being a GM man, all you have to do is repent and turn from your wicked ways and promise to never do it again!! Herb
Sorry couldn’t resist!!

2 Likes

Caddy is a gm product aint it?

2 Likes

Yeah but figured if I ruined it I wasn’t losing much!!!

Please don’t think I’m serious!! If it runs I like it!!

2 Likes

Seeing Andy’s avatar and reading that line gave me a belly laugh.

Guy can’t get away with nothing round here

Just needs a video of Andy spitting a big stream of tabacker juice

3 Likes

I’d be happy too oblige on the video cept I haint never learnt to spit proper like.

3 Likes

What the heck just happened??? I get told by the Pope that to go to Dodge I have to repent and never do it again. Then therea wan’un ta spat tabacker juice at me. I’m going out and sit in my Chev where I am loved.TomC

4 Likes

Note to self: dropping a 130 lb sheet of plate steel onto a concrete shop floor from chest height is REALLY loud!

Self: Rubbing ear WHAAAT?!?

Luckily, I missed my toes/tools/etc.

In other news, my new welding table is ready for use… I’ll probably trim down the top plate (the thing I dropped) which is currently 6 inches wider and 4 inches longer than it needs to be.

1 Like

You can do many things with an engine crane, when you lack a tree or a roof for lifting…

Don’t get too excited, this isn’t a woodgas build starting. I’m going after leaky fuel lines, on top of the gas tank… the irony is killing me.

5 Likes

That’s pretty impressive lifting engineering!

Brian
Glad you missed your toes.Have seen several large sheets of steel drop even from a distance it leaves you shaking.

Chris
On these newer trucks it’s way easier to pull the box than drop the tank. In a worst case you can call on 3 friends and a 12 pack

1 Like

If anyone else has to replace Dakota fuel lines, at least on a 92, you need the Dorman kit labeled for Fords. 3/8 connector, 5/16 line, side clip. Don’t bother getting either of the Chrysler ones.

2 Likes

Happy Thanks giveing dinner and weekend too Brother Wayne K and Chris S and family’s,and all the wood gas truck build,and gasifier helpers,THANKS

5 Likes

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!:poultry_leg:

1 Like