Life goes on - Winter 2015

Yep. Yep. About than power out fresh made coffee PaulMcC.
I love unshelving one of the old aluminum perk-pots and then just on the woodstove top making a fresh pot. Back to getting results by the sound of the perk-bubble rate. The SMELL.
Ha! Electric drip spoiled now I do use a one of the square folded across filter papers in the perk pot now. Do pull the perked made off the wood heat to stop cooking it to acid/burn. Then rewarm cup by cup in a metal cup.
An active involved experienced human can make anything workable. Bacon by the sizzle. Welding by the sizzle and the smell.

I liked the Mercedes gasifier article. Only two rough spots in the wording “clumberson” and “any wood”. The advantage WAS it was able to be enclosed independent keep-moving transportation when the powers that be (British and American air-forces) were doing everything they could to cut off the all of the easy to use fuel flows.
Past the “clumberson” complaint in today’s world with the HOT and “make-fire” fragile componets hung out back and front this is a no-will-ever-be-allowed in today’s “advanced” 1st world driving countries. The safety grundies will get you.
Hey CarlZ only in the UK and highly influenced former British Empire areas is right hand steering wheel the standard. Germany and most all of the euro mainland has always been left hand steering wheels just like US/Canada/Mexico Japan is probably the only exception as having adopted the Brit-way of doing it. And Canada the exception as NOT adopting the Brit-way.

Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

Thanks Steve, I never noticed that.

I read somewhere that driving on the left side of the road began in Britain during the middle ages when the Knights in shining armor were mostly right handed and when they met an opponent also on horseback they would ride on the left side with their lance in their right hand. True or not, I don"t know.

In competition tilting you run your horse on the right side of the gate. Your Lance crosses over to the left close to your shield. Tilting the other way means your body is open and you can’t get your shield in to protect you… very dangerous.

More than 200 years ago every country in Europe but France had left hand traffic. Then Napoleon introduced right hand traffic in all the countries he invaded. But still after WW1 some european countries used left side. Portugal didn’t follow until 1930 and Italy used right hand traffic in cities and left in countryside for some time :smile:
Hitler made Austria, Hungary, Tjeckoslovakia and Jugoslavia follow during WW2.
Sweden escaped Napoleon, WW1 and WW2. We didn’t follow until 1967 (Iceland 1968), which of course made it a huge process. 8000 buses had to be rebuilt, city streets rebuilt and road signs changed out. Cars however have always had their steering wheels on the proper side, like in the rest of european mainland. Only asymmetric lights had to be changed out.
Only UK, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta still have left hand traffic. Probably easier to mantaine since all of them are islands.

Monitoring temps:
Outside: -12C (10F)
Inside: 22C (71F)
Radiator temp: 42C (107F)

Boiler is runnin guuud… :grin:

JO

8 Likes

Hardly ever does the truck get any attention but this afternoon I had two people that was parked beside me ask what was the devise in the bed of the truck . I got the opportunity to explain how the system works and gave them a flyer…

I used the V-10 this morning around the farm and town but used the Sunday truck to take the wife shopping. We took the long way around to the store because it was 5-6 miles further :grin:
The 95 dakota has 1200 miles on it now and running great .

The V-10 has rolled up on 25000 miles and no major issues with the truck .

8 Likes

Beautiful truck, Wayne. I think you attract more attention with this cooling rack design than your original because the classic design rack has been on plain jane trucks for a long time and just considered nothing special. Now you look like you’re on a mission.

2 Likes

Went to put a drop of petrol in the car this pm and they were almost giving it away at $1.899. What political event do we have to thank for that?

1 Like

Saudi’s driving out the Canadians and USA wildcatters. Since expenses rise to meet income, even the Saudi’s will only sacrifice their income drop for just so long.

3 Likes

Got about 10 inches of snow on the 2wd gasser right now.

5 Likes

Hi Joseph and all, we just got dug out from a bunch of snow and power outage for about 12 hours with below freezing temps. We got the woodburner out and stayed comfortable inside.
We have an outdoor wood boiler and have to keep the water circulating, Our neighbor called and wondered why smoke was coming out of our chimney :grinning: This tractor has been a BIG help over the years weve had it.

9 Likes

Thanks for the update Ron .

Hard to keep a good man down :grin:

1 Like

the sky was looking pretty dark here I think that white stuff is heading this way :sob:never ready

2 Likes

Good pictures RonL
Just in time for BillS. And a fellow MENS asking.

We are all just On The Road To Better personal freedoms
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

I new the clouds didn’t look good this morning we got a light frost.

5 Likes

So I finally got my newish Dakota up to “65 mph” (over sized tires seem to be throwing off the speedometer), which is tough since the only decent area for that is the heavily trafficked/patrolled US101 which is a 55 zone.

I’m trying to figure out how far off the speedo is by the RPMs. I’d heard that with the “standard” rear-end ratio, which I have, one should get almost exactly 2,000 RPMs at 65 mph.

Of course, that’s exactly what I got out of my little experiment. It wasn’t until afterwards that I realized: “duh, the same ‘changed ratio’ affecting the speedo would also affect the engine speed (RPMs) at the same rate.”

Apparently, I fell asleep in the middle of writing but still posted it. >_<

Hello Brian .

Here in Alabama I found some folks ( actually they found me ) that will help with your speedometer accuracy, but very expensive . I would try a GPS

5 Likes

Are they the same folks that also train in seat belt placement?:grin:

1 Like

Yes Mr. D.

They give very good instructions where the seat belt should be . They do charge for this service but you can pay by credit card over the internet.

2 Likes

I’ve actually thought of stopping by a cop RADARing people, and asking if they’d give me a speed quote without giving me a ticket. :stuck_out_tongue: