Life goes on - Winter 2015

Hey WayneK this fellow shows as a listed stream vehicle entry in that Jim Mason/APL sponsored "Escape from Berkeley by any means . . . " race you woodgas drove out and finished placed in.
Regards
Steve Unruh

1 Like

It says it runs on kerosene. That idea doesn’t blow my dress up. To run it on something eco friendly would probably require a truck.TomC

Thanks Steve .

I didn’t recognize the name because he didn’t show up . However he must have registered

In the below article he is the 4th picture down the page .

2 Likes

I did an inspection today at a new industrial building while they were pouring a 2300 cu. yd. concrete pour. They sure know how to make it look easy with the equipment they have today. The power screed is guided by lasers and is accurate to about 1/8 inch throughout the whole building. They started at 3 AM and will keep 6 10 yd, redimix trucks busy continuously over 2 shifts till it is done.

4 Likes

How are “real men” going to prove themselves now?? It took a “man” to pull his end of a screed. Now they sit there and wiggle a lever back and forth. TomC

3 Likes

Maybe all the real men got tired and invented the machines and then took high fives from his coworkers who were shouting You Da Man : ’ )

Just saying

5 Likes

Well lots and lots of wind and blowing rain these last three days.
Finally woken up at 5:30 AM by the screeching AC wired in smoke detectors.
Yep. Power is out. Pulled them all down. Disconnected them. Pulled their batteries.

Re-stoked up the woodstove.
Then with LED battery head lamp on went out and retrieved the old black Lab out of the rain ran away hiding from the terrible screeching end-of-the-world’ers.
Damn! Store one pile of overstock fuelwood outside under triple tarps all layed-over palleted down and the shifting swirling wind finally got to them. Soaked unusable now.
Grump. Grump.
Back into the house with the retrieved, retriever dog and the top of the wood stove aluminum perk-pot coffees looking and smelling done just right. MmmmMm. Tasted good.
Be light in another couple of hours. I’ll wounder out, retrieve my tarps. Door knock on some neighbors houses wellness checking and sharing out some of this 20 cups of nice hot fresh wood-made coffee.
By then a few of them will have their scream-a-matic gen-sets howling to get thier pellet stoves and propane furnaces back to working. The smarter experienced will have switched over to whisper quiet inverter generators. Honda’s running a national $100 and $200 off sale right now. Nice. Very nice.
And as is typical the Grid be back on in 24 hour or so; scearm-a-matic tolerable range. Or maybe even stretch out to 72 hours Grid down; inverter/generator range doable.

Until one day it does not come back on.

Then one by one Mr Sukerburger (facebook), Mr’s Gates, Jobs and all of their kin who’ve been preaching “Better Living Through OUR Modern Electronics” for the last 45 years will one by one battery, and cheapests chip sets burnouts one at a time fail you. Leave you in the dark. The cold.
The first down will be the instant messaging insistent Hive’ers; and Game’ers no longer powered into their Matrix’s.

Come that day then it will be the woodenheaded “Power your Life with Solid Wood Fuels” like me; and the Real Using DOW members, will be the ones WITH.
With: clean safe lights. With: safe clean heat. With: operating well pumps for safe water. And, With: refrigeration for safe foods.
Until then these minor Grid-downs are just good practicing. Adrian’s “I-can-do” tent buddy in Catch 22.

Hired the 18 year old niegbor boy last late summer for wood-chucking.
His just graduated from HS goal? To go into I.T. and computor programming. My goal for him? Keep him from cutting his legs rounds splitting. Give him at least some saw-time, learning. Teach him some woodsweating for Life powering. Empower him to have the power to control his Life and his Destiny.
That there is Life outside the plugged-in, new-age Matrix’s. Real living breathing Life. In the Real bleeding World.
And that Real Life needs the best of leather gloves, good stout boots and willingness to works-sweat-it to successes.

So ALL here now insistent on electronic dependencies crippling your wood-for-power systems . . . .
You are All Part of the Problems, NOT solutions.
Your philosophies are bought-in; Lost. You design for dependencies on You. You are selling Hopelessness. But hey sells more tech’s soaps. Yeah. Yeah. Just Drone your way’s; just autotomonous Drive your ways; jetliner sky seed your ways (Gates now) to . . . . what? A totally interconnected dependencies world.
Orwells 1984 just took a bit longer to arrive. THEY just had to evolve just the right human weakness;es irresistible addictive electronics culture coolaid. Digital. Borg-on, man!!
Piss on it still works just fine. I have a pissing, old tomcat here can kill anything he can get too.

Written on my local 1 1/2 bars of 3G wireless for as long as thier battry/gnerators will stay up.
Washington State Steve Unruh

10 Likes

Excellent price on my favorite welder: http://allentown.craigslist.org/tls/5352346810.html

2 Likes

Anybody still out there?
S.U.

2 Likes

Still here Steve… :blush:

4 Likes

We are just starting to get some of the wind that was promised by the weatherman. Other than that, I’m injoying the sun shine that I have not seen in a few days here in East Wenathee. But more rain and snow is coming. Winter is here lots of snow in the mountains looking across the Columbia River to the South, West, and to the North. Still looking for parts for my Gasifier. A lot of prep/foot work involved but it going to be worth it.
Keep on Gasifiing. Bob

1 Like

Hi Chris that looks like on hell of a deal on mig welder,If i had more creadit i would grab the welder, Wayne might want that too replace that mean bull he forgot too hall in before the price dumps on beef.

2 Likes

Hello Kevin .

Too late , the beef prices have already dropped :confounded:

Hi wayne i figured they would by the way they roll the prices up and down on the poor farmers.That still might be a deal on the welder,comeing from a college,Not for sure though,long drive for a welder.It should have a fairly good size duty cycle,though i haven’t checked that yet either.

50% duty cycle at max output (250 amps). In other words it’ll weld all day long without stopping… Industrial grade welder.

Specs here: http://www.esabna.com/literature/archive/manual/f-15-001%20-%20f15-999/migmaster%20250_f-15-087-l.pdf

Thats the cheapest high quality welder i have seen too date, somebody wants a industrial mig and had the cash ,this might be the one For sure. probably about 3000 new.

1 Like

I’m feeling for you guys and your families in the Northwest! We know you are no strangers to rough weather but what I’m hearing on the news is over the top! Herb

1 Like

I’m new to my immediate area (Olympic Peninsula, previously always on the other side of Puget Sound) so I don’t have the best of frame of reference.

When we bought the house, the previous owner said (and neighbors confirmed) the power would normally go out once every year or so, and was usually back up within 18 hours or so.

We’ve had 3 outages since moving in March, (all from the same pair of power poles) 2 of which were 48 hrs+.

Also, I’m not sure exactly on where our rainfall is, but supposedly 1 of many storms was supposed to drop 80% of our yearly rain quota over a period of 48 hours by itself.

I’d agree that we’ve had some crazy weather.

Been out riding around today… Just crossed 17,000 miles on woodgas.

7 Likes

Swedish lesson… :smile:

1 Like