Life goes on - Winter 2016

I guess this is a universal tactict. My entire upbringing when my parents were talking, if something came up that us kids were not supposed to hear, it went straight to Frisian mid sentence without skipping a beat!

But, it’s not so far from English that we couldn’t figure out the gist of what they were saying on occasion! :grin:

2 Likes

My mother and grandparents would revert instantly to Hungarian. My father and grandparents would go to Quebec french. They would all kinda giggle, too. Darned if a kid didn’t almost die from curiosity.

4 Likes

Wayne K Good after noon it looks like your alibama general got excepted, maybe we can get more energy independent from the fosil fuel imports while running the cleanner of many fuel choices (Gasified Wood).??

When talking to TomC the other day he was a bit concerned about getting nothing done due to -10 F temps. I agreed watching Westerns all day long gets boring in the long run and I suddenly remembered this old trick.
This is probably something that should go into the “Tools, tips and tricks” category, but it’s not really woodgas related so I put it here.
Anyway, this tool is for anyone feeling a bit down. Just put the rubber band behind your neck and the paperclip hooks in the corners of your mouth. I realise it’s not needed much within the SWEM DOW community but you may know somebody that might benefit from this invention - wife, work mates…

11 Likes

You made me and my whole shift laugh :joy: Looks like this tool doesent just work phisicaly :wink:

2 Likes

I tried it but got frost bit. Stay inside when using this device!

4 Likes

THANK YOU JO. Without even trying it, but just seeing it has changed my frown to a smile— even a chuckle. My truck is down so I haven’t been DOW and my wife knows how “grumpy” I get when I have to buy dino fluid. When we pull in for gas the next time I am going to hook this thing up and it will absolutely drive my wife crazy trying to figure out why my big smile.TomC

6 Likes

Aye, 1.10/litre here this am, or about 4.16 CAD/USG

Or 3.18 US dollar for 1 US Gallon. That’s probably near 1.00/gal more than the actual US market price of gas.

1 Like

6.20 US dollar for 1 US gallon here, but no reason to get grumpy no more :grin:
When I DOW I actually save more money as long as my little motor is running then I earn spending time at work - if that makes sence.

6 Likes

Wow if we had to pay that much for gas here something would change for sure.

2 Likes

But still…
One of my former work mates turned pensionist 2 years ago. He had the same work almost all his life. He told me that back in 1970, when gasoline was considered really cheap, his monthly salary equaled only half the amount of gasoline. And that was when swedish people were ranked no1 richest people in the world. We’re way down the EU ranking right now and people are complaining about ruff times and still we’re better off than ever. Something is wrong.

3 Likes

How much of that $6.20 is in taxes?

1 Like

Ouch! I guess I better stop grumbling!

Looks like a bit over $3.00/USG via a quick Google search.

Yep, I’ll stop complaining :innocent:

Of course Jan is saving huge on property taxes compared to us, so it all comes out in the wash.

1 Like

You’re saying the cost of driving on gasoline per hour is more than you earn after taxes per hour?

1 Like

66% incl sales tax and everything in July 2016. Gasoline tax is reasently up even more since then.

Yes, that’s right and I earn above avarage. Chunking woodgas fuel is the best payed work I’ve ever had :smile:

6 Likes

Could you please explain this.

66% is outrageous!
That would put a serious burden on any transportation business
I was spending about $100/week for gasoline before I retired last year at about $2.50/gallon
Now that I can DOW but have no reason to commute i seldom travel more than 30 miles/week

But sill smiling

4 Likes

I finally finished snow raking off the greenhouse from the last bad storm. Just in time for tomorrow’s dump. I usually rake off the top half then shovel away the sides to the 4 ft mark.

7 Likes

Any costs incl fuel cost are of cource deductible for transportation businesses.
Btw. Gasoline prices are about the same in all of Europe.

2 Likes