Life goes on - Winter 2016

Yeah, it’s time… Continuing the discussion from: Life goes on - Summer 2016

Carry on!

2 Likes

Yes, winter is here , thanks Chris. I’m sure I’m not the only one, BUT I didn’t get all my projects done that was planning on completing by this time. Well, if the temperature stays above freezing I might get a few more done.
Bob

3 Likes

Bob,
You got a LOT done!

2 Likes

It was up near 90F today . I can’t get much done without my big straw hat and a gallon of water real handy .

3 Likes

Yep I know the felling 80 the first of the week then the high this weekend 64 been trying to fill my front porch with fire wood not fun in 80 deg. weather and I will be fishing.

2 Likes

@Carl please tell Miss Ruby that we made bean pot tonight, and it was a big hit. Thanks for the recipe!

2 Likes

Video just turned up in my Youtube list. Carl doing an excellent job at Belton last year.

11 Likes

That was a great presentation Carl, I enjoyed it very much thank you. And learned something new. 1 to 1 wood gas to air, 1 to 50 gas to air.
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks for the video .

I believe I could listen to Carl all day :blush:

1 Like

Well . . . ain’t actually winter just yet.
Has been a “squish, squish” now, shocker into this Fall alright.
13" (33 cm) of raining in the first 18 days of October here so far. I DID see the sun for 45 minutes, the day before yesterday.
At least now the temps down from too warm 60’sF, to the 50’sF so reasonable raingear can be worn without too much internal swaeting.

Life in the PNW westside cloud RainForest. Rains makes for the Greens and trees.
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Wife went to the PNW for the weekend. She wasn’t impressed with the weather and is doing the best she can to get back home tonight. Our trees are yellow, gold, red brown and green.TomC

4 Likes

That’s what the tree are doing here, I’m on the East Side of the Mountains and Steve is on the West Side, the WET GREEN side.
Bob

3 Likes

We have been in exceptional drought conditions for a while . I usually start feeding cattle in mid November but this year I have been feeding for the last month like it was mid winter. Also keeping a close watch on cattle water.

No problem with wood drying :grin:

5 Likes

I would love to give you some of our rain (NE Indiana). We were supposed to be in a dry year. I’m guessing Steve U. would offer some rain too. I have been mowing grass every week, or more often since spring. It needs mowed again, and too wet to mow. I wish I could send you some hay! :grinning:

4 Likes

I saw this “Steampunk” (lots of decorative flair) motorcycle on my Facebook and noticed what appears to be a small gasifier on the front of the sidecar: a round sprung hatch with a flex tube doing over to the engine.

Would folks agree? I couldn’t find any write-ups about the actual bike; only blurbs about the design aspects.

It’s listed as “59 KMZ K-750 steampunk bike at Hot Rod & Rock Show”

4 Likes

Michael Gibb show up at the house today at little after 12:30 pm with my Jet Band saw. We set it up and did a little cutting. That thin blade doesn’t make much sawdust compared to the tablesaw blade. Thank you Michael. @mggibb
We looked at the future wood chunker that is deguisded as a New Holland Square Baler.
Emptied some water and tar out his trucks tanks. Looked over his new cooling tubes on his hopper, you know they are working well by the amount of water that came out the water/tar condensation tank.
Showed me where the gas line and clamp had slip and was letting in air, causing a lean mix on the engine.
We went for a drive and I could tell a difference on idling and take off. It was a great drive and the truck ran very well.
Drove back to the house.
Then it was my turn, I emptied my condensation tanks and cleaned out the drop box of charcoal, and also cleaned out the the ammo box on the passager side and under the grate the day before. I even fired it up and took it for a short drive before Michael arrived.
Michael had the honor of being the first to ride in the truck since it was rebuilt. We got it heated back up to 800*f plus at the grate and went for a drive. I had butterflies in my stomach and sweaty palms. GEZZ, I WASN’T THIS BAD ON MY FIRST DRIVE. It turned out to be a Wonderful, Great drive. I only killed the engine once turning around coming back home. My fault not the automixer’s. I had leaned it out on the highway showing him how I could make adjustments and the automixer did not sense it with my 3/4" air line. I had the valve full open.
It proved the automixer will not compensate for the extra air. It just kept it at a 1 to 1 ratio gas and air on it’s end. It will not idle running that lean.
Over all it was a great day to always remember, thanks again Michael. SWEM.
Bob

5 Likes

Our youngest (8 weeks) family member is home.
Welcome home, Folke!

3 Likes

Cute!!! What does Folke mean? TomC

I don’t think Folke means anything. It’s just his name.
Folke and Svante, which is our other dog’s name, are rather unusual names now days. That’s why we shose them. Gets lots of smiles. People come to think of 90 year old men.

How is your sketching going? You know we’re all waiting.

1 Like

Using product endorsement.

Sea Foam brand “Deep Creep” multi-purpose lubricant for weather exposed key locks.
I have used the German Wurth brand of Maintenance Spray in the past for this. I’ve lost my supplier for that.

Our four driveway and field road access gates all have paddle-locks. Also wet, wet here and even the vehicle doors locks will moisture fill, key dragging in and out, and then can freeze. Needs a moisture displacer/lube there, too.

Both of these products DO NOT leave any staining or greasy residue to cause, the-wife-will-beat-me-with-a-stick, problems.

Pure silicone’s, and benign WD40’s do not lasts long enough here in our raining conditions.
Most other lubricants “stink” smell.
Theses two are lady-acceptable. Nice smelling.

Regards
Steve Unruh

7 Likes