Life goes on - Winter 2016

Has it been one year? My one year badge I just earned, said so.
Going for two now.
Bob

4 Likes

Our first soya beans harvest today! The pods look nice. The frost shook the leafes off some, shuld make it a bit easyer to peel.

4 Likes

Didn’t know you had frost already ???

1 Like

What do you use soya beans for? It looks like individual stalks which indicates they are probably for domestic use. We are just about to the end of the bean harvest here. Beans and corn are alternated in the fields. The beans add nitrogen to the soil for better corn crops. TomC

2 Likes

JO, yes, first frost was about 3 weeks ago. Ruined my buckwheat crops.

Tom, these soya beans will all be saved for seed. I only got a handfull of non GMO soya beans a few years back. 2 plants sprouted, l have been saveing and multipiying seeds every year since then. This year l hope to get enough seed (about 20 pounds) for a small field. Some will then be eaten (dont eaven know how it tastes like :smile:) most will be used for our animals. Here soya based animal feed is more expensove as meat, and thats all GMO.
Yes, the corn/bean combo is great! Its a habit here to plant them together, l got about 25 pounds of beans growing on corn stalks in the edge of our small cornfeald this year.

3 Likes

Fermented soy in the form of Natto or Nattokinase is very good for preventing strokes.
Fermented soy in the form of “Avemar” is very good for fighting cancer. http://www.avemar.com/
Straight soy is not fit for human consumption.
http://healthwyze.org/reports/205-soy-is-unfit-for-human-consumption
http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
It is an endocrine disruptor and causes a lot of problems. Most people don’t think to look into it.
Then, there is soy milk; 10 Reasons to Never Ever Drink Soy Milk
Beer is safe. :smiley:

6 Likes

Dont get me wrong, l am not one of those Soya “meat” and “extra low fat bio organic vegetarian raw exotic/expensive superfruit with fancy names” kind of guy, l like to hold on to crude scietific facts when it comes to food and above all, my instinct.

I have read it shuld be roasted for animal feed allso. It blocks protein absorbtion raw.
The deer that served it self some fresh soyabeans last night might get some hickups. She has completely mulched about 3m2 of soya.

We are on the same side, barley and hops rull :grin:

4 Likes

Happy Birthday Wayne. And many more. If all your “friends” sent you a dollar, you could retire instead of having to “hustle” cattle, and make gasifiers :grin: Proud to know you, and be in this circle!

6 Likes

I am not a vegetarian but sometimes wish I was. I like steak, fish, and chicken, but I will not kill to get them ( forgot venison ). If someone else kills them I have no problem. I lived in the very south most part of Michigan as a kid and we had NO deer. You had to go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to hunt deer. Up there they lived off pine trees needles and were quite small. Now that they grow corn and soy beans in the south, they are over run by deer and they are big. Health food people will tell you to much corn and as you pointed out soy beans are not good for us. The deer don’t read those articles. TomC

6 Likes

Happy Birthday Wayne, many Blessings to you on this day and forevermore. Thank you for everything you have done in the World of Gasification and DOW. I am honored, and proud that I know you, and own one of your Gasifier builds.
Bob

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Wayne. You’ve inspired so many, especially me.

3 Likes

Anyone up for a project for next year’s Argos? I couldn’t find this video on youtube

4 Likes

Are you going to be able to supply that many chickens for us. ??? TomC

4 Likes

Thanks Bill,Bob and Carl,

Carl , No worry about the dollars . Having friends like you and all the others on the DOW I’am already rich and on top of the mountain :blush:

6 Likes

World fastest rotisserie.
Bob

2 Likes

Happy Birthday Wayne,

Thank you for all you have done for your members including me. You have the greatest kind of success of all and the wealth of family, health, farming, sawmilling, many good friends and a solar powered truck.

I am also very honored to know you, thanks for sharing it all…Bryan

2 Likes

Thanks very much Bryan.

On another note .

Six years of driving the wood burners to ball games and practices came to a close last night .

Nothing wrong with the wood burners but we have run out of football :cry:

10 Likes

Real Farm Boys come to High School Football pre-conditioned. They far exceed their weight lifting treadmill running video game playing friends from the city.

Offbearing and turning logs by hand on a sawmill. Bulldogging / tackling calves out in the pasture or sorting pen all afternoon at 100 plus degrees for ear tagging and shots. Feeding, loading or unloading cattle in all weather conitions. Working in the seemingly endless hay fields. Cutting, splitting and in Tally’s case chunking firewood. All these things forge a unique combination of timing and strength in body and mind. These traits are all very rare these days.

I am sure you are both very proud of Tally, I hope someday he recognizes how good he has had it growing up on the Keith Farm if he hasn’t already…

Bryan

8 Likes

Happy Birthday Wayne, thanks for doing all this, and letting us be a part of your family.

3 Likes

Look at Tally … HI HI … Wayne, I hope you didn’t catch a cold this year … I’m on social security now but still working … I crawled under a lot of fences today … Can’t jump or go through them anymore after what happened … Hang in there … Mike

3 Likes