Life goes on - Winter 2016

Happy Birthday Wayne and many MORE!

Greg and Tyler

2 Likes

Happy birthday Wayne, and thanks for shareing your hard earned knowege driveing on wood, and other Life’s experiances.Nice too have found the drive on wood web site, hope to make it too the next wood gas meet, or once i learn the 75 percent.Droping the burner in truck in few days, havent started the rebuilt 350 motor yet though.Happy graduations to your son.

3 Likes

Happy birthday Wayne
You and Chris have started a movement of true pioneers

5 Likes

Back home for a little while, so I pulled my truck apart for some suspension work. The new tires I just put on need an alignment, but the shop won’t do it until I replace some stuff, and tighten up the front end.

• ball joints, upper & lower
  • rack & pinon (old one was leaking)
  • tie rod ends
  • rotors
  • repack wheel bearings (part of rotor job)
  • replaced one of the bearings, cage was cracked
  • brake pads
  • adding sway bar… truck came without one

It’s all shiny new, for now!

7 Likes

Are you going too rust proff the frame, oil or tar. And are you driveing on wood much with your new job.

1 Like

At some point I’d like to oil the frame. We don’t get much snow and salt here though.

No driving on wood lately, some guy from Washington State took off with my truck … :wink:

I haven’t built another one since then.

2 Likes

Ok yes i was unsure if you had built another wood gas unit.I will post pics or short vidio when mine is done, It wont take long too nail another Wood gas unit up with all the experiance you have gathered.Thanks for all the profesional experianced help from DOW.

1 Like

When gas hits 5 bucks a gallon again, people will take an interest again. in the mean time most of my vehicles are still dual / triple fueled … I’m running out of strength and time … I carry a 380 all the time now too after what happened to me. Any woodgasser is welcome to set up camp here for a few days … I have to shut the water off around christmas … Things should flush till then. Hot water burned out years ago and I couldn’t even get it out with the impact wrench … I have a magnetic heater which should get it up warm enough for a quick shower … regards,. Mike

1 Like

Tractor traction reaction! \o/ New 850hp John Deere diesel vs. 1800’s steam tractor rated @ 18hp. Millars Tractor Spares: https://youtu.be/FLQhvruimfs

I get the jist of why the steam tractor puts out more torque, and obviously just has better sand traction; but could someone please describe a bit more about steam vs diesel in terms of low-end torque?

1 Like

Good morning Brian .

I think the above has very little to do with horse power and much more to do with weight and towing angle.

Example . I could back my 100 hp log skidder up to a 500 hp road tractor ( freight truck ) and pull it backwards with not much more than an idle . .

The point of hitch on the road tractor about two foot of the ground. The point of hitch on the skidder is 7 foot in the air . :blush:

2 Likes

43 days now without any rain :cry:

Life goes on .

I ran 60-70 pounds of wood through the work truck Saturday and 50-60 pounds through the Sunday truck yesterday . Nobody noticed :relaxed:

9 Likes

Wish we could send you some of our rain
Wettest October in recorded history in Seattle

5 Likes

Not sure if you have done ball joints on a Dakota before. After I did one side, the ball joint popped out of the threads. I was told then to just hit it with a welder in a couple of spots. That worked well for me.

5 Likes

Bob, that Deere is kindof a joke. Why build it with all that HP and no weight. It has twice the HP of “Big Bud” but, couldn’t touch it in a pull. Could you imagine that Deere in mud with just the 2 tires on the back?
A diesel engine has a very short duration torque spike. The steam engine has a very long torque spike. That is why a steam locomotive will WAY outwork a diesel/electric when it comes to plowing snow.
The “Big Boy” steam locomotive could start out a 5 mile long loaded train. A steam loco will start more than it can pull to speed. An electric will pull more than it can start out.
They are restoring one of the “big boys”. It has 16 huge drive wheels and 762,000 lb to try to give it some traction. The torque is still high enough that it can spin it’s wheels. The total weight is 1,250,000 lb

5 Likes

Good morning DOW.

A gas line explosion about 30 miles south west of me may cause disruption to the gasoline supply for the south east and east coast .

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-01/u-s-gasoline-surges-after-blast-shuts-nation-s-largest-pipeline

4 Likes

My oh my how you gonna run your farm with no gas. :smiley:

5 Likes

Yesterday I was out in the sunshine - chunking.
Today I’m in my pajama bottoms in my basement office. Sitting in the armchair next to the roaring boiler - chunking.
Christmas is coming up.

8 Likes

I saw that and mapped it. A little closer to you than the last one. I’m using a lot of gasoline right now, but hope to get started on the repairs this week. We’re under a burn ban too.

3 Likes

Wayne’s gonna running a bootleg taxi service if this keeps up :slight_smile:

2 Likes