Life goes on - Winter 2017

Andy , DOWcycles are formed by draining ones condensate tanks in our 30+ below zero weather.

2 Likes

Happy New Year 2018 everyone.
May you find dry wood on every corner and a reason for doing trips with a lemon in your mouths

11 Likes

Hey Billy ,

This is heater hugging weather way down south !!

6 Likes

Happy New Year to all who make all kinds of gas from all kinds of wood. Wishing you more power per pound, and a safe and warm winter.

11 Likes

Happy New Year Kristijan, Iā€™m still stuck in the year 2017. Hey when ever I talk to you Iā€™m talking to someone in my future. Time talk travel Is possible.
Bob

7 Likes

I just want to wish all you guys a happy new year from the great frozen north.

7 Likes

Happy New Year to both of you, Koen.
And the same to you on what you have said.
Bob

2 Likes

HAPPY NEW YEAR! To all

10 Likes

Hm, thatā€™s madness. Wouldnā€™t some kind of fireplace count as insurance in case of a power out? I was under the impression you heated with firewood since you were busy splitting last spring.

Any bio power is encouraged here.
It seems to me you are actually more regulated across the pond, when it comes to every day life. We may have higher income taxes but it doesnā€™t bother me as long as I have a low income :smile:
House heating and motor fuel now being taxfree for me, the only thing that bothers me a bit is food production. I still buy most of my food and I really should take up gardening. Itā€™s just that wood is much more fun :smile:

8 Likes

Winter has hit Dixie !!

Inside the house the temp is 75- 80 F. Out side the wind chill factor is 0.

After being out in the weather for just a few minutes this morning and coming back in the house I checked carefully to make sure I hadnā€™t lost a couple of body parts !!!

Happy New Year to All

9 Likes

Happy New Year -18f here feels like -18f no wind to speak of. YET

7 Likes

-22F this morning, a little break from the few mornings of -30.
You know itā€™s cold outside when the toilet paper in the outhouse is frosty and sounds like removing masking tape when taking it off the roll. Hahaha
Happy New Year everyone

9 Likes

Kicking out the old year with some sledding at a friendā€™s place. -30 celsius 14 kids 15 adults.

!

Happy New Year!

7 Likes

Happy New Year 2018 to everyone. I did the usual went to bed before midnight, it seems to me the new year did not need my help. Had a great night of sleep.
Bob

10 Likes

Hey Bill that toilet paper might stick like masking tape when used.

_4 here this morning. Had to build a fire in the truck this morning to get to start.
OH i have to do that anyway, warm or cold.:grin:

11 Likes

I woke up in the middle of the night from the freezing coldā€¦ had to put a t shirt onā€¦ 24ĀŗCā€¦ how cold can it getā€¦

9 Likes

Yes, itā€™s a ridiculous situation. The math is a little complex between the different factors. Our electricity is extremely cheap. In towns the electric grid is very reliable, particularly in the winter due to the cold, little chance of freezing rain, and with frozen ground no chance of toppling trees. Transformers tend to burn in hot weather. The extra insurance charged would offset 2 or 3 months of heating (at my costs) Since my house is relatively small, it made more money sense to focus on air barrier and insulation, lower annual expenses. Our major heating season is from mid November to end of March, the rest is negligible.

If my house was bigger, or with the average poor insulation it would make better sense to heat with wood, but only if not buying the wood, and not counting my labour and time. So for most people if buying poplar and hardwood at 150 to $250 a cord delivered, handle and store, and then tend a stove all winter burning 4 - 5 cords, really it costs them more. Good insurance, and good exercise, greater comfort, but greater cost.

The insurance industry is a profit free for all, and looking to pad their accounts by any means in light of recent catastrophic losses, such as the 9.9 billion USD fire in Fort Mcmurray. They donā€™t like or understand remote boiler stoves, they charge the same as if the fire was in the house, and the city outlaws them.

Canadian jurisdictions tend to have very restrictive ā€œNanny Stateā€ regulation, very restrictive building codes, very troublesome inspection processes. Last year in my town it became law that no fire greater than 20" can be made, the "spark arresting " enclosure must be previously inspected by the office of the fire commissioner, $200 fine for first violation. But their law permits such a fire to be within 4m of the side of a houseā€¦ They are treating people like children, who might burn their fingers without expert supervision. And after decades of effort, the public is de-skilled enough to finally bow their heads.

So I burn wood without insurance in my cabin, and for sale to others, which does make money.

You are lucky in Sweden, here there is no official concept of wood as green power, I doubt we will see any official or cultural recognition until we hit another energy crisis. And by then it will be practically meaningless, as only one in a thousand will know how to tend a fire.

6 Likes

A few photos. No break in sight. Most of my free time is being consumed by winter maintenance.

Cheers !

Edit: spelling error.

8 Likes

What type of furnace/heater do you have with electric, - forced air/radiant/baseboard or other?

1 Like

et tu, also, Al. Thatā€™s Latin for and you.