Life goes on - Winter 2017

Now that´s a new trick to me. I like it.
We use to joke about turning underwear inside out for another round to save on washing or wearing two socks at the time when holes are on different places. But I never heard of the glove trick. Thanks Allan.

Also an oldtimer here used to wear one shoe and one rubber boot with a cut off bootleg. One shoe and one boot was ok, so why scrap all four? :smile:

6 Likes

The heated hand warmer on a 4 wheeler and the thumb warmer on the throttle are priceless. I had a spell where I spent the winter playing on a 4 wheeler good snowmobile suite and heated hand warmer plus a scarf or the ski hat which tucks into your shirt to keep the wind out.
That is the same snowmobile suit I still have today and it was a Wal-Mart special back 25 years ago.
As to gloves the only winter gloves that hold up at all for me are Carhartt Men’s Insulated Grain Leather Work Glove with Safety Cuff i also order them from amazon 2 pair will last me a year before the fingers ware out. They are ok for warmth not the best but they are the only ones which will hold up to handling wood and bales of hay.
One thing to remember with winter clothing is do not over dress if you sweet in the winter your looking at trouble fast and need to get some layers off. It is common for people to dress so they are warm before they start working and then over heat working outside. You don’t want exposed skin to the cold and wind but you defiantly don’t want to over heat which most people don’t realize can happen in the cold.

4 Likes

I’m enjoying this winter-wear discussion and want to share an insight that has done the most to help me thrive in any weather. This simple statement comes from a guy I met who has been working in Antarctica for many years.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, there is only bad equipment!”

Before I heard this sage observation, I had a victim mentality about winter weather. I suffered and complained every year. Since hearing that simple statement, I feel in control. I now adjust my accoutrements and go about my business.

7 Likes

Bill, I must be a bigger wuss than you. I haven’t worn my Charhearts for a few years now. If it’s that cold out I’m not staying out long enough to need them.
I agree with all said here. Layers are everything. No one mentioned sweatshirts. I usually just wear a sweatshirt with as top quality flannel shirt and fleese lined jeans. Seldom wear gloves, they are useless when trying to do anything. That being said I DO always keep extra warm gear in the vehicle s

2 Likes

It is solid ice outside, freezing rain last night. My daughter Millie came over to drop off the children to go to work. She came down the driveway and could not stop with studded tires on, hit my 2003 Dodge truck, small ding in it, and big ding in her Subrau. Oh well, Thank God no one was hurt. That’s the important thing. Lots of de-icer to spread.
Bob

3 Likes

Wish I could send some of this 46 degree weather we are having today
That would make short work of your ice.

Maybe you will get the Subaru back?

1 Like

Hey thanks, just you mentioning it the temp jump up 10 degree here and climbing. The Sun just came out behind the overcast day, come on solar sunshine give us some heat.
I don’t see any Subaru coming back to me in the near future. I will just have to find another one. One thing nice in this area it seems everyone owns at least one.
Bob

1 Like

Well, hey, it just got up above water freezing temp. finished a small roof for my dad before lunch. and shedding layers as we go. Looking up.
Bruce, I like the sentiment. I agree with you in theory. But having a hard time making the adjustment in reality. Maybe that means I still don’t have the right clothes. LOL

1 Like

Hi bob mac whats the big deal on superu’s, i thought honda’s were the best, A guy over near me used too just sell superu parts on line, I been woundering what the Likes are of them, good on fuel,space,confortable, any clues,??? What do them superus weigh, and mpg.I KNOW YOU SAID PARTS ARE AVAILABLE,so thats good reason.

Hey Billy North,
much truth in the statement that where you live will have what you need. Really tough here to find cotton bibs and straw hats.
Layers. Layers. Layers.
In my wet cold it is thin wools 50F, wet and below. Merino is the new wonder next to skin fabric. Hot wood stoveing and polyester Under Armor is a no-no. Same with all of the poly/nylon outer wear. No one Cascades westside wet here wears down insulated!
My go-too is the area Pendleton Woolen Mills outlet store. HERE, this stuff does show up in thrift stores.

Three days this winter I had 20’s F cold and dry and used the Sorel canvas outer ware. Wet cold rains/transitions in-and-out this stuff will soak up and weigh a ton - take forever to dry.

45-50F wet and transitions and I use lighter canvas’s and/or corduroy shirts and pants. With a Healy-Hanson flexible durable light weight outer layer. Bibs and jacket. These lighter open woven/knap cottons soak up and hold much less wet than heavy denims. Body work heat dry much faster. Insulated vest up the core to force warm blood out to the extremities. I own and use a lot of different weights/materials of vests.

As said if you are somewhat cold before you work it is just about right. Work to warm. Never slow down until back into space heating.

Gloves? I use rubber dotted knit wool finger types - always. Wring out when wetted. Rough working - overlayer with thin pigskin leather outers.
As said - findable, here.

Regards
tree-farmer for fuels Steve Unruh

3 Likes

I have 7F and high winds trying to clean out a foot of snow that keeps blowing around. Just stopping to warm up by the stove because I got off the tractor and couldn’t feel my feet they where soo cold. Just a few minutes by the stove and they are back to just cold in a few more minutes I can go back out. That steal tractor with no cab sure does get cold in the wind. I am about half done and probably won’t finish today. Starting to get late it will get dark soon this time of year. Well I guess enough standing by the fire back out to work I go.

Hi Kevin, the older ones have metal intakes and for snow I tbink they are the best. Hoping to find a 1995 for $300.00 in good shape. I also like them for everything you mention.
Bob

1 Like

Engine exhaust to warm hands. Have to get them stinging cold then warm them up with engine exhaust and your good to go for some time.

Like the cheap cloth gloves or the yellow chore gloves and have extra.

Buy expensive insulated boots from the local ag store. Lowest temp rated.

In high winds, low temps and snow l wear a snowmobile helmet.

1 Like

Come up to Manitoba, easy crash course, then the light bulb will be on permanently. :smile:

5 Likes

Yellow chore gloves your nose just gotta luv em

2 Likes

I just tried something last few days, I had some mylar bubble insulation left over, so I cut insoles for my boots, wow! really kept my feet warm. Temps. here have been -7F to +15F Thought too of making a vest out of it

7 Likes

Grate idea al, i use bread bags over my socks too cut fire wood and it keeps most the saw dust off my socks,and it seem too keep feet warmer, even though my feet sweat it ok for few hours when heated home is there. I might try that now.

1 Like

Now a days I carry a rag for that… :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve been putting my warn out socks over my good socks in order to keep my good socks cleaner.

2 Likes

You’re right, Jeff, a great use for the holey socks. A money saver, too. I do it all the time.
Tip from experience, don’t walk around the house in your socks.

2 Likes