Life goes on - Winter 2017

This winter I get to work in God’s garage repairing a come-a-part cummins! Time to freshen up the PT fuel pump. It is off and sent out.

Got my first 55 gallon storage rack built ! ! Snow tends to blow into the barrels. Any ideas for doors?

3 Likes

looks good guys…I think I would just die if I lived there though.

2 Likes

Jeff that looks like you will be busy for a few minutes. Reminds me of my case 5240 i need to split and rebuild the transmission. Between the two of us we have one good tractor as my Cummings motor still purrs line a kitten. Not sure but I think mine is a spring project. I still have a pile of logs to saw and a barn to repair so the cows are out of the wind this winter… tomorrow I hope to do the cement block work on my barn we are still getting some warmer days and not snow that has stayed yet…

3 Likes

I like this idea.

2 Likes

oh yeah, been doing that for smokers for a long time. My dad used to own a BBQ restaurant. We made many smokers that way. What do you want to do with it? Make charcoal?

1 Like

Brother Jeff, I would like to know more about your $12 controller setup. Perhaps a link and diagram?

1 Like

It is an inkbird. Rather common, no PID circuit just △T. I’ll post more later.

Here is a link.

http://www.ink-bird.com/products-temperature-controller-itc1000f.html

Are you kidding me? 17$? The cheapest one l found in Slovenia was about 130$!

Hi Jeff Davis
For open end covering these I’d just use one-two plywood panels propped up with some Tee-posts angled out.
10 years or more ago I started buying 4x8xthree-ply green-treated ground burial plywood sheets. Bit expensive. But they never de-laminate. None in ground contact has edge rotted yet.
I’ve turned these in to many screw-gunned togather temp projects. Wedding temp dance floor! Yard wedding wheelchair walkways. Shade cover for the chickens. Snow and rain covers for the chickens. Wood stack coverings.
Actuality hurts my poor cheapskate heart to cut one up for a permanent install usage.

And even year around left out wet soaked heavier, I am able to trundle these around for another needs re-use.
I also stocked up on some re-useable aluminum Tee-post fence corner/building clips. Also spendy buggers. $1.35x3 to make a single joint.
Ha! Four green-plywood sheets and some slammed-in Tee-post clipped togather and you’d have a temp weather cover for your equipment repair. Enough screw made edge of panel holes now to quick electric fence wire the panels onto the Tee-posts, held into place.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes

Those are great tips Steve
I only graduated to using them in the last couple years for crawling under my truck when building the gasifier, also flooring my woodshed to allow picking up stray wood chunks and sawdust

Can you post a picture or link for the clips?
I know what a tee post is but never heard of the clips

1 Like

SteveU, thanks. I’ll check with my rural supplier this weekend. And Michael, yes working under vehicle!

I installed another inkbird in the basement to monitor over temp warning last year for the old boiler but still kept it for the new one. I used an old viberscribe layed on the return duct for the buzzer. The air duct transmits noise somewhat through the house.

Inkbird comes with a button style probe but didn’t work well when taped or insulated with rag onto the pex tubing but worked when taped and wrapped with tin foil. This is for alarm.

Getting back to the boiler. Wiring diagram on inkbird.

As a side note I plan to use an inkbird to monitor the temperature of an alternator for my super capacitor inverter generator, when I can get back to that project.

I was going to make a well for the button style probe to insert into the boiler water but found the small well screw in style on Amazon. I think it is 8mm bolt thread so I drilled and tapped a pipe plug. The inside of the plug I drilled at a larger diameter to allow more water near tiny probe. Made seal washer and also taped threads. Theo the item is the solenoid that lifts the flapper that is an exhaust rain cap.

According to the specs inkbird might have handled the current draw but I installed a relay just for the heck of it.

More later because it is getting late.

4 Likes

Micheal and Jeff the alunminum tee-post clipping system I have bought is a WEDGE-LOC brand. Search shows this at Tractor Supply Co, Home Depot, Amazon, e-bay and others. I got mine at our regional WILCO Ag store.
Good system for reuseablity, again and again. For pull apart shifting though needs either over wire binding; or, a trough-bolt added.
For permanent strong Tee-post corners much cheaper to portable generator angle grind flat overlaps and drill and bolt. Or, MIG weld the overlaps.

Oh. I remembered wrong on the green-treated ground contact plywood - it is five-ply, ~1/2" thick. These do get heavy out in the weather soaking wet as full sized. Ha! Makes you stronger. Wet heavy they stay in place better in the winds.

Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

2 Likes

Never heard of those, but like you mentioned, lots cheaper to use a generator and welder in the field

OK, here is the web page:

I gave Dad my three cattle panels and the idea of using blocks and a stack of 2x6 for the foundation. I think He did good. Store a lift of wood and tractor in front of heat but.

He thought I was nuts when I mentioned cattle panels!

I guess that is about it.

The End. :grinning:

13 Likes

No, not the end. I forgot my welding trick. I need to dig up a photo later.

2 Likes

When I cut the holes in the fuel tank to allow the water tank (where the fire is) to slide in, I cut the holes about 1/4" smaller. Next bent that extra material out thus forming a lip. This lip allowed adjusting the hole diameter to the inside tank diameter and gave more metal to weld to.

That is about it.

13 Likes

I like that idea, many thumbs up. :smile:

3 Likes

Good morning all.

It being Thanksgiving day I was about to make a list of all the things I was thankful for . Soon realized I would be typing all day and through the weekend so I gave it up.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Wayne

14 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. Be safe, and be thankful.

9 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to you all, be thankful in all things. What Wayne, and Al said I agree.
I love the fellowship that this DOW site has to offer, and the community of people that it has be come from the nations of the world.
Bob

7 Likes