Life goes on - Winter 2018

Most of the water filter systems you see in homes have charcoal filters as well.

2 Likes

Garry looks like we’ve been shopping in the same stores! That kimchi looks awesome! The girls have not developed a love of spice yet so its just me eating it these days. I will steal your recipe next fall…

2 Likes

You could make a “gateway kimchi” for the kids, just use paprika and a tiny trace of cayenne, then step it up over time.

I figure expose kids to everything while they are young, makes them easy to feed later on.

Kimchi soup is worth making a batch just because…

2 Likes

yup that is probably the ticket. They both love fermented pickles and sauerkraut so I just have to step up my game I suppose.

2 Likes

I have to say this is making me long for a reuben sandwich it has been too long since I had one.

1 Like

I had my first Reuben sandwich about 40 or so years ago
in a little place in Montreal, Que. What I remember was just
about the most piled on with meat sandwich I have ever seen!
Great taste, too!
If you don’t drink a beer with it, they throw you out! Just kidding.
I have to say this is making me long for a reuben sandwich it has been too long since I had one.
I wonder if that little place is still open, I’m only 45 or so miles directly south of Montreal! Driving
in that Montreal traffic is just plain nuts, though, no fun. Guess I’ll stay home.

2 Likes

More stirling fun!

8 Likes

Really great Andy; I am not a fan of the Stirling Engine because I have never seen one do any work. It bothered me that you were wasting a cup of good coffee but then I thought if you put an electronic pick up that was in front of the CD, maybe you could play tunes with it.:grin: TomC Seriously, it looks like you put a lot of work into this, balancing the disc to the cranks,and the baffle. Very good job

2 Likes

Tom here is an interesting read on Stirling engines. They where used for water pumps for a while before gas and diesel engines just became cheaper and easier to move around.
They are also used some in modern solar electric systems but I think PV panels have become cheaper by now.

2 Likes

One only needs to know where - to see them working a wee bit. :star_struck:

Some really blow!

10 Likes

That looks like a nice show. The antique engine show here in NH has some every year as well. I haven’t gone in years thought as it is too hard to make the time to go from the farm.

2 Likes

Those old cast iron Stirlings may not win any races, but I bet they could pump water for 100 years. Looks practical enough for my tastes.

4 Likes

I so want to take one of them for a backup generator and space and water heater. Improve the fire box so it has secondary air and a complete clean burn and they look perfect for a shop to me

2 Likes

what was the name or where was it if you remember. If its on St Laurent it had to be Schwartz’s… still there. I do a pilgrimage to montreal at least once a year to revisit old haunts.

2 Likes

I see a gasifer discussion over reubens in the near future… too bad I don’t have a passport.

1 Like

Actually for me a classic smoked meat extra fat…

1 Like

I used to think the same way until I butchered my first grass feed beef cow. I find the flavor is far better then the fatty grain feed beef we raised in the past here.
Now I just need to make a place and start raising my own pork…

2 Likes

Agreed, and there is only grass fed in the freezer at home. As a treat though that several day marinated smoked brisket is just plain yummy. I should try to get a grass fed brisket and see how it turns out.

2 Likes

You just need to find someone like me local to you and buy the full side then you can have it cut however you want.

1 Like

And make charcoal - that was my dream for years ! ! !

4 Likes