Life goes on - Winter 2021

To lighten things up: Humor.
A new welcome mat I found.
S.U.

8 Likes

The Obama policy was set up to intentionally avoid a mandate. “let’s see if we can find a cost competitive technology” which turned into two camps, v8 lurvers and tesla which squished the hybrids out of the market. but the policy itself was based on 80% adoption in 30 years basically the policy itself was designed to prevent whataboutism. “nope. got that covered” and any fights which it never was going to prevent fights, but tones them down quite a bit.

The trick is that high oil prices have contributed to 5 recessions. Having a cost effective solution, reduces that as a contributer. It was a 30 year plan. because everyone is essentially starting from scratch, and having to learn and build out manufacturing because you can’t drive costs down without it. Just the logistics of switching 50% is mindboggling.

We aren’t there yet. If we were, then no one would be even talking about oil prices. Manufacturing hasn’t caught up. It will. Prices will come down, they aren’t there yet.

2 Likes

Here i know everyone likes pictures. This is about as primitive as it gets for boiling maple sap.

10 Likes

The reason I’m focused on propane is because right now I have a 500 gallon tank of it sitting out back. I once had two five hundred gallon tanks but they belong to the propane company and since I wasn’t using enough they took one away. I’m 74 years old. That propane, unlike gasoline has no appreciable storage life as far as I’m aware. I am unlikely to ever run out in what’s left of this life if I just use it for chainsaws and if I build a wood gas truck I’ll also duel fuel that with propane. I do make small amounts of methanol in a little still made from a pressure cooker. I will take a picture of it tomorrow and methanol has some uses as a fuel but even more than ethanol it will eat the seals out of your equipment. Also you can still buy it in quantity fairly cheap or at least you could up to now. The other fuel I’m fairly adept at making is methane. Just ask my wife.

11 Likes

you must be an old fart like me. :laughing:

12 Likes

That makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why you were so focused on propane. :slight_smile: Unless you have the straw that goes to the bottom of the tank, and I think they use a different valve, you can’t refill cylinders because it doesn’t reach the liquid portion. You have to specifically ask for the tank/valve and pay extra.

Other high heat applications would be like a forge/foundry, and you could make a whole gingery set. lol Pottery, or custom brick maker, and then you could make a custom outdoor grill with the bricks. powder coating also uses quite a bit of heat. asphalt. or you can make maple syrup. :stuck_out_tongue: (yes I know those ideas are going straight to the circular file.)

4 Likes

Good point Sean. Having it and getting it out as something besides a vapour hasn’t occurred to me. A straw you say?

1 Like

The normal valve just takes the gas off the top, then it has a regulator to control the line pressure. To refill tanks you really want the liquid so you need a tube/straw down to the bottom of the tank, and it is an additional hole, and valve. You have to install it with an empty tank. The valve itself is more expensive but propane companies tend to discourage the practice because a static electric spark has killed more then one person.

Our friends just replaced the valve, and then got caught because he got a different valve then the propane company used, plus he had to pay the original empty tank fee. Then they threatened him telling him they won’t provide service. By the time they were done, he ended up buying a new tank with the correct valve, and he was on probation with them. I think they also made him tank a refill class or something like that. He was not a happy camper.

3 Likes

How time flies !!

10 years ago yesterday .

https://youtu.be/Qi51B8Ew1tE

8 Likes

What gasifer truck are you working on?
Bob

1 Like

Hello Mr. Bob

92 dakota :blush:

https://youtu.be/eS8gsxW85ow

7 Likes

It is nice see and get to review the 92 Dakota build. I am glad that I ended up with it. Even though the work you did on it is slowly being replaced, because things just wear out. Darn. But what you built is still on this site and the book is there for us all to see.
Thank you Wayne and Chris for starting and building the web DOW site and publishing the Have Wood Will Travel book. It is need more right now then ever. Lots of new members are coming to the site.
Bob

7 Likes

Always happens when Gas prices shoot through the roof. lol

1 Like

Last time 2008 it was a test to see what the economy would do they have made some adjustments and now don’t expect the prices to go down. Most people will just keep running up their credit cards higher and get another one if they hit the limit on ther old one. Pay the minimum amount and carry on. They will never be out of credit cards to use they think.
Bob

1 Like

well that is why we started pushing EVs, it happens about every 15 years and it helps take down our economy everytime. But since almost no one was working on them, we had zero options, at least today, you can get on a waitlist for an EV that is somewhat affordable (granted a lot of people a new car is out of the affordable range, I understand)

The more EVs on the road the less pressure there is on the oil market so as soon as people get their EVs I do expect prices to come down a bit. But they won’t go back to 2 dollars.

The biggest problems with EV’s is water. Drive it into water over the bottom door seal or leave your windows and soak it inside. It is going to be a electrical mess. You don’t need a mechanic, you need a electrical technician. Most people just have them insurance Totaled and get another one. Lots of them in the Tesla junk yards all over the USA and the world.
Bob

2 Likes

Not to mention unless we ramp up nuclear power plants, the grid can’t reasonably support EVs. Sure, people like us that can crank up a generator and charge via 220v can do it or people with solar. Utilities will go up with the higher numbers of EVs requiring KWs per recharge.

3 Likes

I am not sure tesla and junkyard go with water… :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it depends on the model of vehicle. I thought they sealed the high voltage electronics up watertight. I don’t know about the low voltage stuff. but that stuff has issues on regular vehicles.

In 1974 I was driving a true 27-29mpg Saab 95.
With gas rationing, and lines waiting I’d park around the corner up the street and walk in with a five gallon red Class III safety can.

By the 1980 gas crunch I’d already cycled through a 35 mpg VW Rabbit. (too many 1st generation fleas). A 38 mpg Ford Fiesta and a couple of small motor cycles. Come 1980 I’d already sold the 18-20 mpg 67 Mercedes 250S and had replaced it with a 1969 Chevy HD 2500 pick up. 292 cid. Granny gear 4 cast iron 4-speed. Maybe 15 mpg. And I had my touring 10 speed bicycle. Parked that truck a lot then. Rode the bicycle again much more again.
This actually worked out better for the $'s out of pocket. Worse of course for the young man females getting.

Live and learn. Knowing at any time at least price-jacking would come back, let alone rationing, I jumped on a family death made availed 2005 Toyota Camery. Back to 30 mpg+ on RON87. Two foster girls, one still in a booster seat, their bicycles trunked, room for another full size adult and we still go: come hell . . . or the 2nd coming.
OH. High water I switch back to the High Water capable GMC 2500 cargo box truck. 12 mpg. Or could revert back to the 'ol 94 Ford F150 18-20 MPG.
Just stay at home much more now. Booo, say the girls.
For sure now once a week stack up your go-fers.

Ha! Used economy sedans prior to 2020 were cheap, cheap. Not anymore. Don’t charge out panicked, spending out thousands, for worn out junk.
Use what you got. Drive less. Read more. Play with the kids more at home on your own place.
Opt out of the busy-busy 'cause it was once cheap and easy. Redefine Fun.

What has worked for me.
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Cody gets the Kewpie doll. It’s the E. If you start building a N. plant tomorrow it will get operational around 2028 If you can still find qualified welders and techs and China will sell you the electronics. Maybe you can cover the corn fields in the mid-west with PV panels because without NG fertilizers they are going to be lucky to grow weeds in their Round-up ready dead soils.

1 Like