Life goes on - Winter 2022

We might be tied BOB M-i got about 10 gas saws need carbs cleaned or spark plugs cleaned- i got about 4 electric chainsaws that all work- i just need a good wood gas charco powered generator- and be off petro smoking saws all together. I caint saw any harder then the electric saws any way. And them big 20" gas saws make me tiered looking at them.

6 Likes

Hmm thats a first. Never had this kind of a disc explode… l can not imagine geting this in to the eye…

17 Likes

Ouch!! Kristijan. Right above a gloves line. Where the most of my scars are.
If plastic face shields bother you as much as me, try a woodcutters screened face shield instead.
Regards
Steve Unruh

10 Likes

I cant count how many flapper disc i have used up over the years and never seen that happen before. But that does look like a fiber composite center, which is strange all the ones we have around here have a plastic center hub?

7 Likes

Hi Giorgio, i found some old pic’s in phone.

The one in the back is the Dolmar C 1936, this one is not in my collection anymore.

My French Rexo RS, 1946.

Canadian made Power Machinery Universal, a real “widowmaker” :hushed:

Norwegian/Swedish Como Comet, diesel(!) Actually a semi-diesel with hot-tube ignition, before starting one have to preheat the ignition tube with a built in propane burner, propane is stored in the handle.
Just some of them…
And my thoughts has gone in the direction of a woodgas chainsaw, my conclusion is the only practical way is a woodgas powered generator, and a electric saw, cordless, or with cord, even looked upon some pretty powerful 12v corded chainsaws (gained some popularity in the 1960-70s) should be nice with woodgas powered tractor, bigger alternator, and just a cord from the tractor in the woods (just to be prepared)

10 Likes

Ouch! That happened to me once, hit me in the chest, sunny and warm summer day, no shirt.
Looked something like i’ve painted a happy face, with a happy, bleeding, mouth right over my belly…

8 Likes

Yeah, it is very normal, sickness always occurs when one’s off work. I guess the body is relaxing in a way.
I haven’t felt anything so I guess you were considerate to not give any of it to me (either that or you just wanted it all to yourself), thank you :smile:

9 Likes

That is such a cool teaser of your collection. It must be an impressive collection, I imagine.
Have you run them all (those that are in running order that is)?

@KristijanL I have never heard of a flap disc breaking like that before, it looks kind of rusty around the center hole, could it have been outside in bad weather for a while? Dont know if that would affect the glue/flaps in some way

7 Likes

Yes Sean, if I had a charcoal Gasifier on the back of my 1996 Subaru Out Back that has been built but I still have not put it on the vehicle yet (dumb) . I could light it up a go to town. When runnig my genset off of it, I would light it up and in one minute it is producing good gases. For short trips I think this is the way to go. And now my gasifier would be portable too with the genset to generate A/C 110 volt power. The little 1500 watt unit is just right for runing small hand tools remotely.
Bob

8 Likes

Okay Kristijan, that is a big Oucher for sure!! Glad there is no veins cut. Okay thanks for the bloody teaser now. QUESTION: What are you working on that we do not know anything about? Hummmm???
Bob

6 Likes

Wow I am glad I do not have to lift those saws to use them , heck I do not want to put them up on a shelf ether.
Bob

5 Likes

Goran, incredible. Is it possible to get some more info on the semidiesel?

The anglegrinder was in idle when it exploded so l think it must of been fractured. Its entirely possible l steped on it or something like that. In my mind this shows that usualy good work practice is better thain safety gear. I learnt never to have the tangent to the disc anywhere in the line of eyes or other vitals.

Bob, lm experimenting with a new hoe design actualy. Forging a tool to use in delicate, tightly spaced crops.

Its high carbon, hardened steel blade on a soft steel frame, weighs less thain 2 ounces (45g). Serrated edge.

11 Likes

Wow, lucky it isnt deeper. Looks just like my discs. Never happened and if so it is hard to hit me. The grinder is in my left hand. If a disc explodes it doesnt hurt because it cant hit me. The gearhead is in between. Flapperdisc is another story. Strange but lucky.

7 Likes

I forgot some flap-discs outside for a year (or two) i found out they was very prone to break/explode, if its the sun (uv) that breaks down the binding, or moisture i dont know. They was so bad, even cheap me hesitated to use them, most scary is the unstable, shaking grinder, when a big piece comes off, and all balance is lost.
As for the semi-diesel, what do you want to know? I have somewhere a manual, and some ipl’s, i can post. Otherwise it’s pretty simple, two-stroke, slightly higher compression, a nickel tube where sparkplug should go, fuel is injected into crankcase by a simple pump that just “squirts” in fuel with the air.
Intended to be run on gasoline with 7-10% oil, or kerosene with 7-10% oil, or diesel with 5% oil.
They run best on gasoline, and don’t smoke to bad, very sensitive for idle, gets to cold and starts to smoke.

10 Likes

It appears as though that is a multi-tool that slides right on your fingers like what Freddy Krueger had. :slight_smile: Keep that one away from the wife. :slight_smile:

Commercially, a lot of times they use a rotary hoe with tines which works better in fairly loose soil, and IIRC it isn’t what you have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have made hoe blades like that just by cutting down a regular hoe. Very handy for cutting weeds between plants. Now I try and avoid weeds altogether by covering all my beds with weed cloth and using containers.

Not a wood gas chainsaw but about a year ago I bought a four stroke chainsaw. 50cc. My intention was to convert it to run on a small propane bottle. It’s still sitting on the bench, never had a drop of gas in it yet. I don’t know why. I’m embarrassed to confess about it especially after I promised to do a video review of it on Gas.

8 Likes

You gat all the saws ever made :joy: some of them saws might be contacting the manufacture,see if they would like too buy it back, since it might make a good sales pitch, showing how long there saws lasted…ANY way are there any 4 cycle chain saws light enough too handle.Or have you seen any. THANKS. NICE SAW COLLECTION.

4 Likes

Sean yes l thod about the finger hoe model too :smile:

Goran, this alredy clarifyes some things. Is the fuel injected in the air intake?

On woodgas powered chainsaw… one day l will try it. My idea is a backpack gasifier with a flexible hose runing from the left arm to the saw, quick detach joint in between. Practical? Probably not :smile: just a proof of concept.

Old slow turning big cyl Stihls might work. They are 150ccm l think? Forgot the name, here we call them contra Stihl. Dr Goran?
Only problem is they are hevy as a sow on their own, letalone the gasifier :smile:

7 Likes

Hi Kristijan, yes the fuel is injected in air-intake.
Yes, Stihl Contra in Sweden too, in US it was called Stihl Lightning. Good choice of saw by the way, very sturdy, all parts are available cheap from China. Contra 103cc Contra “S” 140cc.

4 Likes

Hi Kevin, no i got far from every saw… :sweat_smile:
I like to collect odd ones, small series.
My favourite brands are the American brands, McCulloch, Poulan, Terrill, Mall…and so on.
There has been some early four-strokes, Very heavy and Very vibrating, then the interest woke up again in 70-80s to today, mostly to keep emission standards, there are some China made four-strokes on the market today, don’t know much about them, we have to wait for Tom’s opinion.
Probably much trouble with small parts hold up, and a good lubrication system, that works well in all positions.

8 Likes