Life goes on - Winter 2022

Well, the trailerproject moves forward.

Hoping to get it done tomorrow unless something else comes up and then move on to the next project, no beautyprices here but at least functionality

15 Likes

Excellent!
Johan, just for the record you may want to mention something about store bought items involved :smile: This community is kinda fond of free of charge obtainium :smile:

13 Likes

Haha, well… Found/gifted stuff is the angle irons that was used for screwing sheetmetal over insulation, supports for the bed (to be able to remove the sides and retain bedsupport) is gables for pallet shelfing, flat irons is for holding the angle irons i mentioned earlier, the plywood bed itself and the inlays I’ll put in in the sides tomorrow is from scrapped interiour in horsetrailers, and the lightramp in the back is also found although the left lampglass was broken so I had to get a new one, stainless pipes for the sliding in lockingmechanism back and front sides was found scrap, welding electrodes is also found in the scrap.
Spent on the trailer is a total of 6$ and some time of course

Edit, I forgot to mention the fastening eyes lying on the trailer is scrapped lifting points on big wooden boxes.

Edit edit. I forgot about the wheels, got them for free with the volvo 850 I bought for the gasification project, fits perfectly :smile:

14 Likes

Going to build a little NSR Constance gasifier as a demonstration piece. I may get brave and try to run a junk push mower on it. Just seems like fun and if I don’t like it, nothing permanent has been done to the pipe fittings.

9 Likes

Billy is that a worlds or allison or eaton transmission? Those years of freightliner m2 and cascadia had an issue with fuse for the tcm failing and several other fuses and they test good but hit a bump and momentarily lose connection. Every one of them i have found has been by gently pushing sideways on the fuse and you will see it break co tact as if the fuse popped. Flex it back and it comes back to life. It sounds dumb but i have caught it 3 times now in my work fleet

13 Likes

Is it in the fuse box or one in the battery box or the big main trans smart shifter motor maxi fuse? I will check all. But if you know where to start…man, that’s what I was hoping for. Someone who has seen it. It’s a total zebra.
F9 is the TCM fuse. But the shift motor uses a big maxi.

It tests like you said, but admittedly, I have not done a “push-to-the-side-and-test-if-it’s-a stupid-idiot-fuse box-engineer-design-that-apparently-needed-to-justify-his-existence-by-reinventing-a-perfectly-established-and-functional-piece-of-technology-that-has-been-around-for-45-years-test”.
I should have thought of doing that one.
I’ve done so many of its cousin tests through the years.

I’ll let you know.

12 Likes

I got impatient and went to the Mom and Pop hardware store.

Guess I’ll have two(or just spare parts for better projects)

My dog Sadie for scale with Polly off to the side, she doesn’t look too impressed.

10 Likes

didn’t find anything like that on the fuses Marcus. Any other ideas?

1 Like

Always wait for the plumber discards. :slight_smile:

It looks a lot like the Frosty T propane burner. :slight_smile: Which incidentally, I saw Digger using to fire up a pot still on moonshiners. (which is completely fake and scripted show).

1 Like

I wouldn’t even know where to look for plumber’s discards. Just call a plumber and ask?

call a few of them or stop by their shop. they have a scrap metal bin. Sometimes you can find that stuff at surplus types of places as well.

1 Like

Ok, so it’s probably time to move on, maybe electric vehicles?
Got a really strong bid on the Chevy, guess it has to go, going to miss it.
Altought, the Ferguson gasifier stays, and the moped.

4 Likes

Goran, are you going to sell the Chevy? Well, I also thought about an electric vehicle some time ago, but I abandoned the idea, it’s not in my lifestyle at the moment, wood gas and testing gasifiers is more fun, I have some “new” ideas about the construction of gasification devices, the latest experiments are opening my eyes new horizons and a slightly different approach to gasifier construction. :woozy_face::thinking::grin:

13 Likes

Yes, there are a guy that calls himself “Loof Lirpa” he’s into self sufficiency, and really wants a woodgas truck.
But i don’t know, a woodgas truck fits my lifestyle more than a EV…

12 Likes

Me too. Or a horse even :smile:

10 Likes

I am getting too old to divide my energies between projects now Goran, and it’s in no way a priority or necessity for me, but I would like to build a truck exactly the way I would want it from the ground up. It would last a hundred years easy and every thing would be accessible with about three sizes of bolts and a butt load of the Stainless you Swedes seem to find under every rock.

13 Likes

Fellows there is a common theme running through these last four exchanges 872-876.

Obtainium materials and machines become obtainable once they have been in widespread usages for several decades.
Scrap SS and affordable new SS fitting are actually fairly common in areas that had papermaking mills; dairying processing plants; some chemicals making plants; fertilize makers; and other need chemical and corrosion resistant materials handling.

WayneK can garage sale level find cast off’s from his in state rockets making activity.
Me . . . used to be a lot of aircraft cast off’s from Boing to the north.

So . . . the cheap, affordable EV’s pieces to build with will have to wait at least another decade to evolve down to lay-abouts.

TomH, still in theme of this; for a grit-duty personal truck it will always be far more practical to take an old, common chassis, and repower it. Make it equipped with all the best, longest lifed, easiest to relace, and repair sub-assemblies.

S.U.

11 Likes

Oh Nooo! And I haven’t even seen it live yet. I’ve been meaning to take a roadtrip down your neck of the woods Göran, but things never stop interfering with plans.
BUT - you got to do what you got to do. Good thing is the truck seems to end up with someone who knows its value.

5 Likes

I know if some one would offer lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for my truck, it might make me think of parting with it. I did say think. Lol.
Bob

5 Likes

Hi David, What refrigerant gas does your heat pump use? If you are chasing efficiency then refrigerant type can launch you miles in front! Heat pumps are quite amazing. Our hot water is very efficient…nearly 500%. Seems crazy when we put fuel in a car to only get about 30% efficiency and then get 500% from a heat pump! Sounds like over-unity.
Clearly it is true to say that heat pumps dont “manufacture” the heat, they just move heat to wherever you want it, or away from where you don’t want it!
800% percent is supposedly the peak operation that a heat pump can do…I have often wondered what can be done with such easily amassed heat?
If you can have 8 units of heat for only 1 unit of electrical energy…Could a Stirling engine generate that 1 unit of electrical energy and have some excess power left over?
Do let me know what refrigerant gas is in your unit. If you don’t know look for maybe R134a or R32 or R410a

3 Likes