Life goes on - Winter 2023

Ha, yeah you inspired me, and old Volvo’s seems to love woodgas, sturdy engines.
The white is a -91, with Regina engine system (which i dont like, hard to troubleshoot) interesting to see how it likes woodgas :smiley:

8 Likes

Just a guess… :slight_smile:

13 Likes

But that means you can adjust timing advance, right?

6 Likes

Haha :rofl:
Well, a friend gave me a pair of these, i had them on the chevy but the chain broke.
I think the volvo is more like a cow…

6 Likes

I think so… i need to check that.
Otherwise it’s always a way to fool sensors and electronics.

5 Likes

You brought a tear to my eye Goran. After all, a Chevy without balls is just a Ford.

12 Likes

No like from @trikebuilder57 , as expected :smile:

6 Likes

After some investigation I finally realise - that’s what I have as well. No wonder it runs just fine with the MAF sensor disconnected - it doesn’t have one. That’s just a temp sensor :smile:
Also, when I first started to DOW with the Volvo, I removed and plugged all the connections to the manifold - iac, crank vent and few more small ones. I left only brake vacuum and one more tiny plastic hose that it didn’t want to run without. That was obviously for the MAP sensor :smile:
So, I wonder if my timing advance efforts - grounding those connectors in the computer and changing polarity on the crank sensor - were to no use, since it may apply only to the LH2.4 :thinking:

6 Likes

Which detail in this picture will our Goran like the most? :grin:

11 Likes

Everything!, ok, most the chainsaw, an Echo?
Edit: i hope that bottle is’nt used motor oil for chain lubrication?
Not so much it makes the saw a mess, but the chain throws it everywhere, in small droplets, and even vapours, you shouldnt inhale that stuff.

8 Likes

Hi Jo, i really have to go through your volvo thread again.
Thanks for reminding me of that crank sensor.
I had forgot i had one on this Volvo, i think ill try to build a “sensor wheel” on the front pulley, with a movable sensor mount, to see if this changes ignition timing.

7 Likes

Goran, I lubricate some parts of the log saw with this oil.
Ha , ha , …Echo 452VL , yesterday was a rainy day , and I made a “new” housing for the starting mechanism , …

11 Likes

Tone is your long square threaded lifter rod and hand wheel from a wine or olive press? Books binding press?
Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Steve, I don’t know what this threaded rod is made of, because I’m not the designer of this saw, I bought this saw as it is, but I modified some parts a bit, the price was 1000 Euros. However, the pitch of the thread is very well chosen, so that one turn represents 1 cm of movement, four bars are welded on top of the spindle, which serve to precisely adjust the desired position.

11 Likes

This is the slab pile of a local sawmill. I’m not even making a dent in the pile.

It’s all hemlock but I was told take as much as you want any day except Sunday. Probably a few days next week before the weather changes again. Most of the slabs I’m getting will be for heating the house but I plan to collect some of the coals as generator charcoal fuel. Not as good as hardwood but free.

Any left will be burnt when the snow gets deep enough not to be a fire hazard.

14 Likes

Score, and it is a great free score of wood. Free fuel that will work. Build your gasifiers and tune them to run with this free wood.

11 Likes

I knew hemlock burnt fast but it would make charcoal quick.

I really need thicker gloves but easily filled a cast iron Dutch oven to put it out. Then I dump it into my steel barrel. With a bigger container I could have easily gotten a lot more.

This was mostly smaller or thinner pieces and we’re pretty dry plus the furnace has a blower making it burn like a forge. Not much smoke, the house radiators are warm, and I got some charcoal for running my generator. Not bad for free slabs.

10 Likes

Hey Brian. Fill the Dutch Oven with wood and put the whole thing in the fire for a couple hours. Makes good quality ashless charcoal. I did that with alder and a stainless stewpot.

10 Likes

Hunting season. This story is just as true as any other you get in the news.

A hillbilly went hunting one day in West Virginia and bagged three ducks. He put them in the bed of his pickup truck and was about to drive home where he was confronted by an ornery game warden who didn’t like hillbillies. The game warden ordered the hillbilly to show his hunting license, and the hillbilly pulled out a valid West Virginia hunting license. The game warden looked at the license, then reached over and picked up one of the ducks, sniffed it’s butt, and said, “This duck ain’t from West Virginia. This is a Kentucky duck. You got a Kentucky hunting license, boy?” The hillbilly reached into his wallet and produced a Kentucky hunting license.
The game warden looked at it, then reached over and grabbed the second duck, sniffed it’s butt, and said, “This ain’t no Kentucky duck. This duck’s from Tennessee. You got an Tennessee license?” The hillbilly reached into his wallet and produced an Tennessee license. The warden then reached over and picked up the third duck. “This duck’s from Virginia. You got a Virginia hunting license?”
Again the hillbilly reached into his wallet and brought out a Virginia hunting license. The game warden was extremely frustrated at this point, and he yelled at the hillbilly, “Just where the hell are you from?”
The hillbilly turned around, bent over, dropped his pants, and said, “You tell me, you’re the expert!” :joy:

13 Likes

It is fall, 1943 in Sweden, a very dirty chimney sweeper walks in on a small café, which is a popular place for the citys taxi drivers- one of the taxi drivers jumps up from his cup of surrogate coffe, with big eyes, shouting to the chimney sweeper: WHAT model gasifier you use???

True story, that become a popular joke during the woodgas era.

19 Likes