Limited Slip Differential for Dakota

I’d like to make my 92 better in snow. I use good tires and weight but it still could use improvement. Looks like Summit has a sure grip and Jegs has an auburn. Any opinions on performance or installation one versus the other?

1 Like

Tire chains, studs or 4wd. A 2wd with chains or studs will do about as good as 4wd better on ice.

That came up as a recommend post I didn’t realize it was so old.

Dick, I’ve found that positraction can have a real drawback. If you give it a bit too much gas, you will spin one tire on a slippery curve. You still generally track in the direction that you want. With positraction, you are more likely to spin both tires. It is easy to lose directional stability. An air locker would be real nice. More weight is always a good idea.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. I’d forgotten I’d posted this one. I did decide an lsd wasn’t worth the bother. I grew up driving rwd (except for my dad’s '61 and '65 saab 2 strokes!) in VT and am quite used to it. I remember unplanned 180s riding with friends in their posi equipped cars and just wondered if they’d gotten any better. Not that it matters much. We’re having another low snow winter here.

1 Like

I know this is an older post but the information is still relevant. I had a V6 89 Dakota that had no trouble with snow up to the pumpkin even on most hills. Add weight over the rear axle or a little behind, just not so much that the front end gets light. Sand, stone, concrete, wood, or even water, will work.

Be careful to strap that weight down. I had a weight go through the fender well of a pickup and thought well atleast that wasn’t the back I’d the cab. After that things got strapped down in the bed.

Securing any load should be a given but it isn’t. A shifting load that causes damage but not disaster can be a great object lesson. Accidents that bruised my ego more then damaged my vehicle is how I learned to drive on wet roads, snow, ice, and mud. I only had to do each one once to gain a profound respect for driving conditions.

1 Like

I knew a fellow who drove into an approach (drunk), the sudden stop projected a refrigeration compressor through the cab, removed his head. I shudder every time I see people carrying firewood, or frozen sand bags in the back of their trucks for winter weight. I came up with a better solution.

I made up blocks of steel plate, through drilled, underslung on both sides of the tow hich. Perfect weight distribution, leaves box unobstructed and free of deadly projectiles. If the weight ever did come loose in an impact it would shoot under the truck. Mounting and removal is easy with a trolley jack.

The truck is up on my land, I will have to search for a pic, or take one once up there.