Living estate sale?

Next up on the block is a 1968 Mercedes Benz 220D. I forgot my camera on this trip so no pictures. It’s a bit rusty, but the frame seems good and solid. Like everything else, it’s been sitting for decades. Tires are rotten, but hold air. All four wheels are frozen up. It ran and drove when parked. If somebody wanted to restore it, or part it out. I’ve seen parts listed on ebay for big money. Or use for biodiesel experiments.

The conroller might have been one like this
https://www.ebay.com/i/252788630967?chn=ps&dispItem=1
Some in the DIY electric vehicle world are building their own controllers with these open source plans
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Open_ReVolt

1 Like

The only big problem working with them old mersdies is caint get auto tranny kits other than filter kits, still a good genetator or project stick shift.mine was a 1978 and no auto tranny parts 7 years ago.

next up. anybody wanting to build an electric something? I have here a 36 volt gear reduction motor from an ancient golf cart. comes complete with speed control.
IMG_5151IMG_5155IMG_5152
Also, can anybody identify this gas tank? It tickles something in the back of my head, but just cant bring it up.
Seems to be good and solid yet.
IMG_5153IMG_5154

1 Like

Rear wheel drive station wagon rear wheel arch tank I think.
Allowed center rear floor to be used for a fold up 3rd rear facing seat.
The spare tire was in the opposite rear wheel arch.
S.U.

4 Likes

Man I am glad your soo far away and I have soo little money with my long list of projects or I would pick up that motor. But I have too many projects already and too little money to do them.

1 Like

andy, you got a number on the motor ($)?

This next item is not from Dads, but something I found a while back. Was looking for a non computerized engine. If you like history, or want to actually use it.

4 Likes

I can not get my schedule to work out for retrieving the Beetle so some else better snatch it up ! !

So, Most of this stuff is still available. If you are coming to Argos, it’s just a short detour over here.

1 Like

Hi andrew see your trying too sell stuff from unfinished project, i have a few myself and have had pretty good luck at the local auction. Check around your area for auctions if you havent allready, you can kinda tell what it might go for or you can bid higher then the highest bid and keep it till later season or time if not getting what you want for any idoms. It seems there are auctions on every other street corner theses days.

1 Like

Dad’s also looking to sell his 2009 Toyota Prius. Really nice shape and current on all maintenance. Comes with all the factory service manuals too.
They won’t let him drive anymore, so it has to go.

Sorry too hear about your dad looseing his long lasting driveing privilege, my dad lost his allso at about 80 years old. He got turned around on a dead end road and was. Knocking on some ones door for direction when cop was there he turned in the report and thats probbly what got it started for reveiw.It was probbly the cop that got fired for comeing back from a emergency call from a gal and was climming in her window later after the call happen, not from my dads visit,how short life is, another 22 years i will be about 80 my self. Luckilly my dad has a wife 5 years younger in good health and she still drives his honda civic hybrid in summer time for travel.Dont move too michigan when geting older, move out before the athoritarians grab your driveing privlege.How many miles on the toyota hybrid.?

Well, my dad is 92 and his driving has been scary for a long time. I don’t know how many miles on it, Ill ask next time I see him.

I think my dad was about due for driveing stop too really. I think maybe one should move too a better situation for not needing too drive before 80 years old or so, and have bike trails too ride scooters on too and from stores.cramed in a city woulent matter much over 80 long as its not a gangster hood neyber hood and you have defence piece on board.

1 Like

That’s easy for people like you to say!!! Scooters??? Look out your window and tell me if you could ride one today!! TomC

1 Like

Hi Tom its easy too say and hard too due. Or getting old aint no fun and aint for sissis. But myself i would rather have some place that i could ride around in when not getting rides once my driveing is out of the equation for motor skills leave us all sooner or later weather we like that or not.Maybe harp can coment after spraying another million tons a of aluminum dust in the air too control the weather suposibly.Thats the kind of things that cause elsimmers, toxic metals in the blood.

Tom aging is hard on everyone. When my mother lost her licence she didn’t tell us. She told her sister and her sister drove 3 hours to come here and drive around taking her shopping. I ended up having to step up walk away from my engineering job and move back to the farm to help her out. She didn’t ask me to but there was no other choice as she was determined to stay here.
My point is as we age we need to remember that our choices effect other. Yes we all value our independence but as our skills get limited by age we need to be responsible and make hard choices. As much as we want to do for ourselves we need to realize if we can no longer do something safely it isn’t just our lives we need to think about. Cars are a great tool. In the hands of someone unable to control them or someone who can’t react to the world around them fast enough that tool becomes a weapon which will harm someone. Not on purpose but if anyone continues to drive when they know they are not in full control of the car they are being irresponsible it doesn’t matter if the cause is drinking or just age the result is the same.
Don’t get me wrong I am all for doing stuff as long as you safely can. But when the day comes you can’t safely do something we need to accept that and be a responsible adult about it. Your right it is hard to say I can’t do this and need help. But it is also the right thing to do. Sorry for the rant but this is an issue I struggle with on a daily basis. I end up playing a guessing game because mom is stubborn and won’t ask for help most of the time.

4 Likes

Before we know it all cars will drive them self. Only in a museum will you find a steering wheel.

I just learned that in four years I will be old enough to have an aid come to help me at home! Hope they know how to weld…

10 Likes

Excellent! I’m not that far behind you. God help the person they send to help me… :smiley:

3 Likes