Looking for the right truck

Hi everybody,

I first began scouring this forum 5-6 years ago. I’ve not begun a build but have began acquiring necessary tools to do so- 60 gal compressor and lotos torch.

I’m struggling to figure out what is going to work for me. I’ve got specific requirements in a truck. Must be 4 door, 4 wd and of the 450 or preferably 550/5500 class. A one ton is just too undersized for the regular work it’ll be put through- I need larger rod ends, thicker frame, etc.

To my knowledge, neither of the big three make a 4d, 4wd 1.25 or 1.5 Ton truck in the years where obd 1 would be an option.

I’ve consider d getting a newer body and putting a 460 in it. I know there’s be mods for the 4wd and tranny. I’m ok with that as well as it not being too highway friendly in terms of speed.

Or, is working with obd2 becoming more of a reality such that I wouldn’t need to find a newer model body for an older woodgas friendly engine?

Know if any builds of this nature or any advice?

Hello Chris and welcome to the web site .

I wish I could be of more help to you on vehicle selection . I can’t add much to what the other Chris has already written below .

I just know with wood gas it seems that little trucks with big motor work out very well.

http://www.driveonwood.com/library/woodgas-donor-vehicle/

3 Likes