This is my first post to this forum, please be easy on me!
Unfortunately my first real attempt at a gasifier was fueled by a (i hate to
say it) MrTeslonian YT video - the one about making a gasifier out of two
propane tanks. I won’t post a link as I am unsure if it is against the forum
rules. In anycase, I have built the gasifier EXACTLY as he shows in his video
and I am having some strange problems. (Yes yes I know, everyone will say
Ofcourse I am having problems, its a mrteslonian style gasifier)
- ‘firetube’ is 8" in diameter, and 4" deep.
- there are two 1" air inlets on opposite sides of the firetube, extending roughly
3/4" into the firetube at maybe 30-40deg angles inward.
- I am using small chunked pieces of hardwood and softwood - standing dead that is bone dry.
- What kind of gasifier is this thing!? I assume an imbert style because of
the air intake, however the hearth is not like any I have read about for imberts. Seems almost like a modified FEMA? Idk…
- If this is an imbert, are the air inputs correctly dimensioned for the hearth?
- What kind of blower should I use? I tried a cheapo hair dryer, which creates draw but I still have issues - see below.
- Starting the gasifier, things start OK… I have smoke out of the output pipe,
however the hotter things get the more the air flow reverses! The point where
I shut it down there are flames (more like torches) shooting out of the air inlet pipes and smoke leaking out of the top of the gasifier.
- I do get flammable gas out of the output, and I can flair the gas however the long the gasifier runs (matter of several seconds or a couple minutes) as flames start coming out of the inlets the flair on the output starts to die.
I am really hoping I can salvage this gasifier even though I am sure I will get a lot of criticism for actually building a mrteslonian gasifier…
Thanks in advance, any advise or help is greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures and maybe even a video tonight if it helps.