Making charcoal, wood burning

Lets say you dig a big hole start a wood fire, but a big metal box over it and fill it with firewood that will become charcoal.

Doesnt this system burn off all the wood gas that we want? How can I capture the woodgas while making charcoal to use for something useful?

2 Likes

Use those gases to more efficiently produce your charcoal. Or use it for heat and hot water.

Do you not need heat or hot water?

1 Like

Hah, I just posted something about this somewhere but I’m senile and can’t remember more than a few minutes at a time.

1 Like

Can the woodgas coming off the charcoal finish makeing the charcoal charcoal? So i could have a primary fire, then remove the container with the charcoal once woodgas started coming off, and put a new container with more wood on the primary fire until it starts releasing gas and so on and so forth

2 Likes

Yup, but why? Just burn all the wood in a single burn tube. The oxygen fed in at the bottom will be consumed before it can get very far. All the heat is now just simply applied directly tlo the fuel verses heating a vessel.

This is one of those things it is so simple to do our complex minds will not except it and we must make it more difficult and complex to make our brains happy.

Create fire in a tube and make charcoal. Use the heat the best you can. Create water drip and a gasifier that you can run a mixture of raw wood in with your charcoal. If all are achieved you will have a more practical and efficient system than you can otherwise.

Yeah Im one of those people. Too simple to comprehend, me brain no compute :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for being so knowledgeable matt! Should I google tube charcoal? or is this something that you do and others dont? I do not quite understand how to make it work

2 Likes

just research Youtube, “Charcoal making” learn the basics there and then expand from there on your own

1 Like

ok thanks Matt, will do.

I have a small backhoe and am hoping I can make a big tube/trench in the ground for charcoal production. Do you think that would work?

2 Likes

Watch the videos …

1 Like