Making strong,high temp. gasket material

This is a short video on how to make very strong high temp. gasket material. This is in sheet form and great for flange gaskets or anywhere requiring a flat high temp. gasket. I made these after just using silicone by itself and having to replace it with new everytime I took the parts apart. This gasket material is very strong and reusable. Hope it will help solve some of your gasket problems. Dan C. http://youtu.be/vNWsOJbn-ME

Good video man .Looks like a great way to make a gasket .

Danny,
You mention using a hollow pipe to make holes in the gasket for bolts etc. I am assuming you do that after the gasket is dry?
Thanks,
David S

Thanks Johnny; Works great!

Good video Dan. Hope you get more rain so you can keep em coming.
Don M

Hi David S.; Yes, after it is dry, although I never tried it wet. I take the pipe or bushing or whatever hollow tube I use and sharpen the outer edge a little then pound her through. I do this with metal underneath for clean cut, but it does not make the punch last very long. : )

Thanks Don M.; Rain will certainly keep em inside because I’ll melt. : )

By the way David, that’s a nice looking gasifier you have there! Dan

This is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!

Your very welcome Chris, glad to contribute.

Morning Dan,

Thanks for postings . Reminds me of getting some of the RTV on my cloths . It doesn’t come off!!

Thanks Dan. Final assembly is happening this weekend and over the course of next week. Hopefully to be ready for Argos. I may not test fire it until then however, not sure yet. I have quite a few flanges like you do, and I was wondering what I was going to do for gaskets instead of a “wet joint”. Now I think I know. Just have to get some fiberglass sheet.
Thanks again for posting!
David S

Good Morning DannyC
Do you think you could distill this makings down from 15 minutes to a 3-5 set of stills pictures please. Still over half the World does not use high speed. Past 3-4 minutes of video we genrally go out and do something else like grow food, tend to critters or just smell the flowers.
If the Rapture is announced at minute 5 I’ll be missing that call.

Thank you
Steve Unruh

How about this Steve.

Looks fine ChrisKY
This same technique with a woven stretchy fabric core could be used to make woodgas proof diaprams for those who have questioned me about “vacumn pot”, " pressure pot" engine mixture controls.
Thanks for sharing this DanC.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hey Danny,

thanks for sharing this awesome idea! Really nice!

I figure if you would punch the holes with a piece of hardwood underneath instead of steel, your punch would last much longer…?
Or maybe you tried and it didn’t cut those glass fibers?

Thanks again and cheers!

Sam

PS: Maybe anyone can help me out: What does RTV stand for?

Room Temperature Vulcanize. And I’m wondering how long it takes to vulcanize inside that wax paper? My experience with red RTV is it is s-l-o-w in air. I’m glad it works Danny. I will give it a try soon. It looks like fiberglass “mesh” is different then woven?? Part # 488 or 499??

Thanks, Carl,

I would have n-e-v-e-r guessed that correct in a hundred years!

Cheers,

Sam

Dan,
So what is the “dry to use” time on one of these gaskets? I know some others here are forming and drying gaskets made solely out of red RTV (no fiberglass mat). I know Sean F. has and I am sure others have followed suit. Maybe they could input some on what thickness they are forming solid RTV and how long they need to dry to use.
Thanks,
David S

David, I will remove wax paper tonight , let dry a few hours on each side.If needed I will add more high temp. to underside.Will flip back and forth occasionally for a couple of days and they should be ready to cut,punch and mount. Keep in mind it’s hot here. Dan