Making Torrefied Wood

5 years towards pension for each 4 years service on the batteries.
Its a bargain with the devil some people were willing to make.

2 Likes

Been part of those bargains before, with little upside, the lot of many working men…

2 Likes

It basically the charcoal making concept. The materials and process are usually different. They both drive off impurities through heat.

The coke is denser and more consistent. Wood density varies by species this the resulting charcoal varies. Thus harder to control the process, more material and harder to do.

I think there swiss have a process for smelting steel without coke.

1 Like

Hello wallace,

For the coal of the earth, it pollutes three times more than the charcoal, the old mine workers with their respiratory problems at the end of their career and a life time below average, reminds us of the reality, the Children in China with coal-fired power plants pay a heavy tribute, they do like Western countries, it is moving towards nuclear energy in the future,
During ww2, my father not to go to the compulsory labor service in Germany, he worked in the coal mines 50 km from his home, with no good memories,
Currently, although the Germans have a program to limit CO2 emissions using coal as energy, but I do not know if this has been successful.
I am distant with the coal coke .

cordially

2 Likes

Maybe @Chris can start a new topic for this so we can get back to see wood supply?

2 Likes

They have cut down a lot of their black coal use, but have only reduced their lignite use by like 10%. They import black coal which is significantly less polluting then the brown coal (lignite) that they mine locally. They also tend to gloss over the fact they export a lot of electric made from the brown coal.

3 Likes

Thanks to sean and wallace for the coke making videos.
i use coal coke when I do forge welding and have still got about a ton of the “4 X 6” size that I break up as needed.

Change of subject, a bit:
Back to charcoal- Somebody asked how charcoal was made in “the old days”. I don’t know how “old” 1960 is, but here is a pretty good look from the US forest service on how it was done back then, and earlier:

Back in the mid 1970’s this booklet was free, on the bookstand at most Ag extension offices in Wisconsin.

Pete Stanaitis

4 Likes

The most economical way to produce roasted wood is the use of a bread oven, after drying the wood, you cooked your meal.

4 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes

sécheur bois

3 Likes

Site appears down for maintenance.

1 Like

The charcoal making pdf worked for me just now. is that the site that you found to be down for maintenance?

I see that whole link address wasn’t posted by this forum’s system, but it did work anyway. I just tried to repost the complete link but I got a message saying the i already posted it.

1 Like

It seems to be OK, now, Pete, thanks.

1 Like

https://freightlinerads.azureedge.net/3642-new_cascadia_natural_gas_sell_-2018-08-13.pdf

I was thinking of possibility of running truck on torrefied pellets

2 Likes

How do you plan to make your “torrefied pellets”? Any plan yet? TomC

1 Like

I think there was a commercially wood gasifier for cars in England during WW2 that only used one fuel, wood cubes all from the same wood cut to the same size , I am not sure if they were polished or had tax stamps on each one .

I was only thinking of using Blackwood technology black pellets and they would have to only provide pellets of a specific size . for the Freightliner

Blackwood said their enterprise would fail if they continued to be the only company to produce these pellets . In order for their pellets to succeed they would have to have universal availability .

2 Likes

What is the energy density of the torreified pellets? The son of a friend of mine says that semi tractors that run on CNG have pretty short ranges already. I thought he said something under 100 miles between fuel stops. So he went on to say that CNG fueled trucks are only good for local deliveries. By the way, I haven’t seen any LNG pumps at gas stations in our area, but I do see a few CNG setups.
My point: If CNG makes for local use only, then pellets or even charcoal would limit range even more.

***I did look at the Freightliner link. I note that they said:
“Cleanest engine available when using renewable
natural gas to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG)
emissions”
I didn’t know that natural gas was a “renewable” energy source.
Dumb Me.

Pete Stanaitis

4 Likes

They are selling it , I am not sure it exist .
There are processes that are applicable to making it .Most are experimental .

2 Likes

I would suggest a rotating kiln for torrefaction. But it would be nice to have a purpose for the excess energy produced- space heating seems a good fit. Graded wood chips, or pellets.

2 Likes