Making woodgas go BOOM!

8 Likes

Thanks Mart .

Neat video :grinning:

3 Likes

Mart,
Great video, thanks for sharing the link!
Good to know what happens with different gas/air mixtures. :bomb::boom:

1 Like

I used to build hydrogen over water rockets using 2 liter bottles. Those things would go a good 200 feet!!

1 Like

Then when I tested the early blow off lids I inserted air until the gas buckled the hinges. Yup they work!!

1 Like

Great video, but I donā€™t understand why we aim for 1:1 for max power??? His experiment would not ignite at 1:1 What did I miss?

3 Likes

The video is , for us, a bit misleading. Its actually retort gas, no nitrogen present, so pure CO

If you look his other videoā€™s then you can see his setup. how he did build his gazometer and his woodgas generatorā€¦

His gas contains about 3 times more CO then woodgas and zero nitrogenā€¦

His 25 to 75 ratio seems to be just right, it takes 0,57 oxygen to 1,0 CO, so the boom is obvious :grin:

9 Likes

Carl,
Good question. The actual best ratio for running a particular engine might not be 1:1. Although you woodgas drivers find the best ratio by experience, engine sound and power, and post-combustion Oxygen sensors (rich / lean ). His wood-gas may not have been as pure, made at lower temperatures than a WK gasifier. The flame front speed and color were different for the different mixes he filmed. The water vapor may have also affected the result. Watch the explosions in slow-motion, or frame-by-frame. Very cool video! Nice high-speed camera work! :grin:

1 Like

Koen Van Looken nailed it, his other videos are also very much worth the watch. With such a device combined with a compressor seems it would be easy to compress wood gas into propane tanks.

One thing that is missing is compression of a engine piston 11:1 and what Koen said.
Bob

2 Likes

this is nice to try toā€¦ retort gas with high hydrogen contentā€¦

5 Likes

Thanks Koen,
IĀ“ve been following this guy for some time now, heĀ“s got some very interesting videos. I think heĀ“s smart. Good video to learn and teach.

3 Likes