Mazda B2000 Attempt, or Cody's Wackadoodle Builds

It’s raw wood. Imbert style.

To be fair Kevin I’m juggling about 3 or 4 gasifiers right now :joy:

4 Likes

Rear brake drum on my 3/4 ton Dodge is 12 in Inside Dia. Would make an excellent base for a fire tube but it’s only 5 inches high. Might be good for some style gasifier.

3 Likes

I don’t have access to that but I do have a matching pair of some big drum brakes. 9" diameter 6" deep. Maybe if I build a stationary unit I’d use them for the heat retention.

3 Likes

Somehow by magic, read: me throwing it around when it died, my el cheapo Harbor Freight abrasive chop saw works again!

So I was able to painlessly cut apart the 3/8" couplers.

Huzzah!

Now I can only hope drilling out the jet holes in the plugs will go just as smoothly.

5 Likes

Nozzle tips drilled out. Couldn’t find my drill press vise, so I used my plumbers vice and an impact drill. All jetted to .25"

It’s about as straight as I’ll get freehanding a drill. I’ll take it.

7 Likes

They use a lot of brushed motors. Does it have brushes? Maybe with out? The other thing i would check is the actual switch. The switch broke on the angle grinder.

And as always double check the bearing.

You also want to make sure there isn’t a loose wire, or else it could be an electrifying experience.

1 Like

I think it was the brushes, because when I bought it, it cut one or two times and then refused to start. I didn’t want to fiddle with it at the time so I just moved it aside, and maybe from me stubbing my toe on it over the last year I knocked something back loose. Works now!

10 nozzles and 5 nozzle? Same gasifier?
Bob

1 Like

5 and 5, like a Mother Earth News. 5 point directly up to prevent bridging, and 5 straight across. According to their chart this is the right jet size, 1/4".

In the bigger engine sizes they have as many as 16 nozzles.

3 Likes

Sometimes if rotate the brushes they for a bit longer. They used to sell brushes at the hardware store. If you have right size they only take a minute to replace. Otherwise you have to fiddle with them.

1 Like

They actually came with two spare brushes believe it or not. I haven’t touched the brushes yet, hopefully I don’t have to.

I would pull them out and check. Otherwise you have an electrical issue which could be a safety concern. Before installing new brushes measure and write down the size, which will help you find new ones faster if it happens again.

10 sounds like a lot for a 2 liter until you consider how small the jets are

Sounds like what Ron L. build for his red truck and tractor.
Bob

2 Likes

Yup, exactly. He built his by the book though. I’m just adopting their nozzle layout with Ben P hearth dimensions/distances.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good solid combination.
Bob

1 Like

I’m hoping, fingers crossed, to get some preheating built in as well. Won’t be a lot but every recovered BTU counts.
:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

How many gallons do most of you guys use for the cooling rail condensate tank?

I’m thinking of using my stainless beer keg for the condensate tank, and buying a mini keg for hopper condensate. Either a mini keg or a 2 gallon stainless Milk Can.

Edit: Found a 12 liter milk can, lid already has a gasket too. Not bad. A little pricey but I’d rather buy it once and not worry about it rusting out.

Milk Can with Sealed Lid, Stainless Steel Milk Transport Cans Wine Pail Bucket Tote Jug Pot Oil Liquid Storage Barrel with 2 Handles Sealed Silicone Anti-Leak Ring Lock Belt 12 L 3.16 Gallon Amazon.com

I feel like 3 gallons is plenty for hopper condensate. 15 gallons for cooling rail condensate. Just need to get some Stainless piping to make some drains and connections.

6 Likes

Cody, I don’t think it matters much. On the Mazda my rail tank is about 4 times the hopper tank. On the Volvo the other way around. On the Volvo I drain both tanks every or every other hopper load. On the Mazda only the hopper tank needs to be drained that often.
But that’s me. Looking at @Norman89’s condensate production I guess he would recommend something else :smile:

4 Likes

I have been on the hunt for a 20 gallon air compressor tank for the dodge :joy: the Toyota holds about 3 gallon before it goes into bubbler mode but total capacity doesn’t count for much depending on where you bring the gas lines in. I’m only using half the capacity of the whole tank on the Toyota since I brought the gas lines in dead center of the tank

3 Likes