Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Jeff, that’s what I think is happing in my charcoal unit. Very good observation.
Bob

3 Likes

Tom, those 5 galons are dispensed trugh all the gasifier. However most of it is at the bottom. Wormholes are created in it so that the gasifier still works, its just slower to start and burns higher-less miles/hopper.

JO, no, the perforated sieve is there from the begining.
No cyclone anymore, all dust goes straight in the filter.
Had problems with lean gas mix lately (remember-l have a fixed air setting), bad idle, slow startup… so l investigated and found a brounish filter cloth. It seems l got a tarry bach of charcoal in the hopper and it ended up in the filter. No worryeas, easyer to change a felt sack thain a engine.
I am actualy wery pleased as this felt cloth seems to work as a safety filter for tar!

10 Likes

The felt sack, althugh a bit brown and stiff from tar, still feelt no resistance when hooked on a shopvac. Hmmm something else is goeing on. I folowed the golden rule in gasifier troubleshooting, first check for air leaks.
Bullseye.

A snowbump must of pushed the filter houseing up to touch the belt puley and it made a nice hole in it.

New pipe was connected and it runs strong and crisp once again!

10 Likes

Hi everybody:
Working closely with Kristijan, he very kindly, accepted to share the details of his reactor/hopper with you all guys. He is a generous man.

Krisitjan, let me thank you in my name, and on behalf of all other people that may use, now or in the future, all or part of your build.
Eddy Ramos (Argentina).

PD1: Same will be for Bruce Southerland, who also kindly shared his info.
PD2: Kristijan. I will like to make a drawing of your filter. Can you send me the dimmensions?? Thank’s Eddy

9 Likes

Thank you Eddy for taking time to make such informative drawings. I am from the very old school and these types of drawings make the most sense to me as apposed to computer generated 3D drawings. TomC

5 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
I see that you have only +/- 25 cm between the nozzle and the exit of gases. I think Koen recommends 50 cm. Does not the gas come out a little hot?
the 5 holes of the nozzle are of decreasing diameter, remarks you a better distribution of the fire in the firebox of the gasifier?

Thierry

1 Like

The thanks goes to you Eddy, for all the time invested in your drawings!

Trierry,

Normaly 25 cm wuld be much too low yes but dont forget this is multi nozzle gasifier :wink: so instead of haveing one long reaction zones l have 5 shorter ones. This lowers it conciderably.

Edit, oh, nozzle diameter. It was observed with same dianozzles that the last pnes had more flow thain the first. Thats becouse the rushing in air hits the wall and builds more pressuure. This configuration equalizes all nozzles to the same power.

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan, how is the lower box temperature area doing with out the insulation on the side walls and bottom?
On my unit it was getting to 450* f in spots, with the insulation and a stainless steel liner in the burn chamber, mainly where my two barrels are welded together. My having cross flow design vs. Yours have the perforated gas exit tube above the tube nozzles.
Are you still running cooling tubes under the car to the filter?
Bob

2 Likes

Hi Bob, yes the mailbox is considerably hotter. Its winter now and not much problems but l will need to fix it before summer.

The fact that l extract gas as soon as it ends reacting keeps the hopper cool before loading time.
Yes its still down there but l only use half the cooler. And l will ditch it all together, there isnt any need for it. The gas culd cool enough runing trugh a pipe in the power axle shaft. This cooler is great and hidden but it does lower the car about 2" so its a snowbump catcher.

Slowly runing out of charcoal and my Kursk and firewood are under 2-3 feet of snow :unamused: Wayne l envy you…

7 Likes

Kristijan, so even in the hot summer time you will not be needing the extra cooling tube. Do you know how warm the gas is going into the filter tube and out?
Bob

2 Likes

No idea. A few ° higher thain ambient l guess. I can hold my hand for a few seconds where the gas enters the cooler after a hard pull so l guess about 250f? (My hands dont realy feel much heat anymore :smile: usualy l smell skin burning before l feel heat :smile:)

3 Likes

Great my charcoal gasifier is about the same temperature going into the cooling rails. Thanks.
Bob

2 Likes

Weekly maintinence

14 Likes

What is that black mess you pour into the trunk ? :smile:
Sorry, I couldn’t help it :smile:

1 Like

Thank you Kristijan for weekly maintenance video. Very informative the bag filter seems to be doing a great job on filtering dust out. The end cap just pressure fix on? No clap to lock and hold it. Just vacuum.
The vacuum pipe for cleaning ash out is ingenious. I am going to make a vacuum prob for cleaning ash out of my unit.
What a great idea, hopper swipe bar for spreading the charcoal to the corners of the hopper when filling.
Do you have a mileage on how often you refill when driving, on the average, now that you have been driving it every day?
I am looking forward to getting my unit in a vehicle and on the road.
Thanks for showing the amazing Mercedes-Benz gasifier build.
Bob

4 Likes

Thanks Kristijan .

I like it !!

4 Likes

Kristijan, I just had to watch the video again. I still can’t get over how completly stealth your MB build is. Noone could ever suspect you’re DOWing (or DOCing).
Inside that felt filter, is that only a 2" plastic pipe that is pushed into the rubber seal? Doesn’t the felt ever plug?

4 Likes

Thanks for nice coments.

Haha, JO, this black stuff is peletised CO2 from poluted air :wink:

Bob, those are sewer pipes that already come with a rubber seal inside. The seal is shaped like a mousetrap, so its hard to pull the fiting apart while easy to asemble.
Range. If conditions are perfect, meaning clean gasifier, full of hardwood char, l get about 45 miles out of it. In reality on the road about 30.
However l am planing on some changes when time alows, to utilise all the hopper volume, shuld allmost double the range.
We all wait with anticipation when the day you drive on char with your new ride :wink:

JO, not sure if its 50 or 40 mm pipe inside the sack but yes, thats all there is to it. The pipe has a few holes in.
No, never pluged yet. I like to empty often as the amount of ash in the sack tells me how breethable the charbed is, but l had it half full of ash with allmost unnoticed power decrease.

7 Likes

Hi kristijan

very informative video, thank you
you have the gift of simplifying your constructions
I think there is a tight separation between the passenger compartment of the car and the trunk?
this separation is it of origin or you sealed yourself this place

3 Likes

Correct. The only potential leak between the cabin and the trunk are the speakers.

3 Likes