Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

did I understand well ?
Entering the gasoline and coal gas in intake by different valves avoids disrupting the computer!
Do you think that this way any vehicle, even recent, could be gasified without decoding the computer?

Thierry

2 Likes

Well this sistem will work for any vehicle with this kind of fuel injection, Bosch K-jetronic. Unfortunaly l think modern MPFI engines will not perform the same. They read vacuum in the intake manifood as their guide in fuel metering, this is unchanged by my sistem. The vacuum will still change eaven when the original throtle stays closed.
But it will help for sure! If one has the ability, l wuld recomend duel throtleing no matter the injection stile.
Oh, allmost forgot. This design wuld be great for carbourated motors! A k-jetronic is basiclily a more complicated carbourator.
My car doesent eaven have a computer, just a O2 sensor but l found it does litle in terms of fuel triming. Not sure why its there actualy.

6 Likes

Hmmm, Makes me want to want to go out and get a Bosch K-jetronic or carburator. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: NOT. My understanding is that older MPFI systems, like my 1991 Ford Ranger, use an O2 sensor, a Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor, a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, Throttle Position sensor, Humidity sensor, Crank Position sensor, there may be a few more I don’t know about. All of these send signals to the computer, and software decides everything.

So… I want acess to this software. How can I write some software specialized just for woodgas? Maybe I am brave or foolish. I don’t care. Sign me up! I want to go there. :grin:

Rindert

1 Like

Talk to Koen, he’s the master of that black art…

1 Like

Kristijan, don’t forget K-jet still offers the most important feature to us. It’s multi point injection (no gasoline mix in the intake)

Maybe something is wrong with your sensor.
In my experience it’s capable of trimming the fuel almost all the way down to zero when running woodgas.
Just guessing, but could be that in the MB application it’s limited to fine tuning.

2 Likes

JO, faultyness is possible. l guess l shuld test it somehow?

Still DOW everyday, but today the gasifier a specialjob.

My foot powered forge is faulty, the gasifier was a eaven better replacement.

Allso, some interasting observations.

The rpm has risen from 700 to 1000 when l put the cleaning cap on. Shows the inportance of nozzles for gas quality.
And! I decided to squirt some water in the hot nozzle pipe. Rpm risen from 1000 to near 2000! Seems l need a water drip after all…

9 Likes

Wow, from 1000 to near 2000 is quite the jump. Since this is a no load situation, you get the best results from the fast burning H.
It will be interesting to see what kind of boost you get while driving.

8 Likes

Nice looking Mercedes forge :smile:
Is the big plug down to the left your new dump?

2 Likes

Wow, a little water and the H2O cracked into Hydrogen, hook up a variable mister nozzle like Bruce and you be set for more power going down the road.
Bob

2 Likes

On my lawn mower gasifier I found the air intake end of the nozzle outside the vessel was hot enough to make steam. By dripping it out side the gasifier no worries of flooding the gasifier with water.

3 Likes

Yes, the old new dump :smile: the new new dump will be on the bottom. Unscrew and dump some ash.

I was planing to video a complete maintinence/lightup/drive video but it seems l will have to grab a shovel. Its snowing realy hard :unamused:

6 Likes

Hope you will find some time for the video soon.

In the meantime, I found a video with an old Wolga with a charcoal gasifier in the trunk, similar to your Mercedes. A bit more crude.

I don’t understand anything, nor can I read Russian or Ukainian. But if you search youtube, there seems to be a lot wood and charcoal gasifiers running in this area.
Here is a Mercedes:

Sad there is a language barrier between me and the details.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting this. I like the mercedes ofcorse :wink:

I managed to understand him saying 3kg wood replaces 1l petrol and he has a range of 60km. Not bad. Allso, he makes his wood with a circular saw and thats about it :smile: where the hek is his gas cooler???

4 Likes

I remember a Slovenian guy once had an unvisible, under the car cooler :wink:

6 Likes

Ha, that guy is a joke :smile:

7 Likes

The trunk lid of the Mercedes says “240D” so it at least started automotive life as a diesel! :relaxed:

3 Likes

I installed a emptying hach on the bottom of the gasifier yesterday, ash acumulated over the last month making startup harder.

There was about 5 gal of ash inside! But wery litle clinkers.

I wanted to make a closer picture of the nozzles but l culdnt reach down there.

Anyway, thenozzle is intact. The new hach can allso be seen in tge picture.

Allso, l damaged the rockwool lining while poking the other day, so l had to take it out. Will see how it works with just char/ash for insulation.

9 Likes

I have not lived on the dark side, but wondered-- 5 gal of ash between the nozzle tip and the gas outlet pipe-- doesn’t the ash smother the fire at the nozzle? TomC

1 Like

I don’t think we ever saw the perforated outlet manifold. Never plugs?
How much ash/soot does the cyclone catch compared to the amount of ash in the gasifier?

3 Likes

Tom, for me it tends to tunnel through the ash until it sniffs out charcoal.

3 Likes