Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Hi Krisitijan.
Do you mind if I can try lo layout your chargas gasifier system?
Truly yours.
Eddy Ramos

2 Likes

Hey Thierry,

What leads you to think of charcoal being damp?

I dubt it thugh, i use freshly baked ringing charcoal.

Eddy, by all means, if you need any help let me know.

3 Likes

Hi Kristijan:
Thank’s for your permission to make a drawing of your system. Actually, I was amazed by your horizontal nozzle long time ago, so your gasifier system was the first one thatI tryed to draw, but I have being following you on this and other topic, specially the Nozzle one but it was and is hard, for my, to complete understand how your systems works. I think that the best way for me to start a nice drawing of your design is if you can hand draw a very basic sketck of your system, so then we can go from there.
Looking forward for that.
Best Regards.
Eddy
PS: Make a very basic drawing, take a picture (JPG) and upload the photo.

1 Like

Hope this helps! If you need anything else let me know.

2 Likes

Hi I Krisitijan.

Til points out that 1 liter of gasoline equals 1.25 kg of coal. But you your results say rather 1 liter / 1 kg. I wondered if the humidity in the coal would not explain this good result

I built an aluminum bath nozzle with a heat exchanger inside. The idea is to cool the nozzle by extracting calories transferred in water vapor
So that I can inject steam into the nozzle it must overheat. Then protection of the nozzle, control of the reaction temperature and production of rich gas
The temperature of my gasogene does not rise (no slag, no signs of overheating, red oxidation zone …) I deduce that the temperature is self - regulating thanks to the water impregnated into the coal.

I see. The thing is early ww2 gasifiers did not have EGR or steam injection. Charcoal has a exess energy content in related to energy content with the gas. Simply sayd, if you inject only air in a charcoal gasifier, you produce exess heat and in term have worse efficiancy, meaning bigger fuel consumption.

I realised this fact recently, while reading some papers on Kalle gasifier.

Have you performed any further testing? Were you able to hook the water to the nozzle yet?

Hi Kristijan and ramosedmundo,
I used a program (free) called Print Screen. It allows me to copy anything on the screen and reorient/resize it.
I thought this would be easier to read.
Pepe

6 Likes

Thank you wery much Pepe!

2 Likes

Thank’s Pepe for this info. It seems very helpull, it might same me time and the use of a photo camera to download the drawings. I will look forward to downloaded it and see how to use it.
:+1:
Eddy

1 Like

Hi Kistijan:
Thanks for the sketches. I will star working on this and will start shooting you with some questions.
B.R.
Eddy

1 Like

Came home from a sucsessful road trip yesterday eve, visiting my father. 340km both ways, all charcoal with occasional hybriding. What a great feeling.

The way there we drove on slow sideroads with lots of stop-driveoffs, traffic lights, hill climbes etc. I neaded to adjust my idle and fuel injection at idle, the screw for idle bipass valve came loose from vibration. This too low idle caused mild backfires at driveoff, allso l adjusted the timing resistor to fully advanced. That seems to fix it.

The way back, l decided to go for it and try the highway. Bought a year highway alowance (many €€€ :unamused:) and go for it. Till now, l was afraid of the highway mainly to overheat the small gasifier. But the fear was unnesesery!
Here is a clip from the highway drive.

Hard to see, but this is a solid 110-115kmh cruise, 100% charcoal.
I stoped after about 20 km to see how it all looks behind and to much of my surprise, the gasifier was much COOLER on highway thain on sideroad driveing! Better fuel consumption too!
I later thod about this and it does make sence. With lots of stop-driveoffs and acceleration etc l usualy drive WOT and at about 2500rpm. At highway, l drive 75-100% throtle, but in fift gear and at 2000 rpm. The woodgas throtle is smaller, so it is inpossible to overpull the gasifier at 2000rpm.

I do however accelerate on petrol when joining the highway, once l hit 100kmh (60mph) l kill the fuelpump and enjoy.

At this point l dont dare To ask for more. Its SWEM, if it stais this way.

A few pics of our trip

image000000h
The Slovenian Alpes.

image000000k
The right snowpeak is our destination. My father lives just under snow border.
image000000

And just a few miles before my father’s. The same peak from the pic before. The top of this mountain is Slovenia-Austrian border.

Edit; may have mentioned before, my speedometer is faulty and show 10-15km too litle. I was lucky l discovered this soon enough to avoid high speeding tickets! (Driveing 65 instead of 50kmh in residential areas cost 250-500$ + 3 penalty points)

19 Likes

Great to see your successful trip and highway drive.:+1:
Beautiful landscape. A friend of mine is a great fan of Slovenia, I can see more and more why :slight_smile:
By the way, how is your slotted poking rod for the vacuum cleaner working?

3 Likes

Oh, l forgot all about that!

I drilled aditional 4 6mm holes in the poking rod. It seems to work great! However, l did empty the gasifier before the trip just to be safe. I cleaned out the britle slag that the vacuum poker can not extract. Allso, l had a lot of dust in, it wuld be hard to vacuum it all. Its nessesery to vacuum the dust out regulary.
The poker works for light dust and ash, but periodic emptyings will still be nessesery. Thats why l will make a biggee emptying cap on the bottom and clean with a 2" auguer.

One other thing. It seems the gasifier retains less ash at long drives. I think the main reason is more constant draw.

8 Likes

Congratulations Kristijan!
Nice pics!
You saved 50€ in petrol money on this trip alone.
You should make a trip like this every day and you’ll have a decent income :wink:

11 Likes

This is a perfect DOW post. Beautiful, practical and personal. Thank you for making this online community vibrant.

11 Likes

Wow Kristijan, you are all riding in style now. This is great news on the performance of the gasifier. My hat is off to you, on how you thought this whole process out on making it impossible to over pull the gasifier. I know you still have some plans to improve it and will look forward to seeing them. Enjoy the beautiful drives with the family. Have Charcoal Will Drive. (HCWD).
Bob

8 Likes

Thanks for the post Kristijan.

My hat is off to you also .

Keep up the good work :grinning:

8 Likes

It doesn’t get better than that ! ! !

4 Likes

Hi Kristijan:
I started working on a drawing of your system. I have some trouble understanding it. Do you have an e-mail address so I can shoot you with hundred questions and drafts before we can post here the final results?
Eddy Ramos.

1 Like

Eddy, l sent you a pm here on DOW, we can arrange things here.

Thank you

1 Like