Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Thank you for all the beautiful pictures. I love seeing where and how other people live. To me that is a big part of riding along on WG video; to see the country side. The town in the Alps that I thing you said was your birth place, made me feel like here where I live we are getting cheated. We get the snow, but don’t have the hills to enjoy skiing and sledding. Our winter sport is snowmobileing. We do have an international ski jump about 50 miles north which is a tower on top of a slop. Thanks again. My thoughts on where you live has totally changed. TomC

6 Likes

Hi Til!

Thank you.
I empty the ash every 2-3 days. The filter l emptyed for the first time.
Ha, when l used wetter fuel l even plugged the cooler once. Now the dry gas seems to clear the dust out fine. Althugh l am getting a feeling its geting tight again. I have prepared and installed a guage to tell pressure difference from ashpit to filter exit, its all there but l havent got the time to connect it… hopefully this will show when dust starts being a problem.

Plese, do show us some pics when you start char gasing it! Have you thod any of the gasifier design?

Tom, l am sure you wuld change your mind your first winter living here :smile: imagine comeing home from work and you have a 2 mile 20%+ hill to climb, 12" of snow on the road. But you are right, we did a lot of skiing back there. Grandma lives about 1.5 miles down the mountain from where l used to live and we used to put on those short “big foot” skiis and skii offroad trugh forests and fealds down to her every day. Grandpa drove us back with his Fiat Panda 4X4, man what a machine! The litle Panda went trugh the snow like a tank…

9 Likes

Is your new lambda sensor still connected to the ECU?
Or is the new lambda probe only connected to the digital voltage display?
I love your new gasifier, I have the feeling of being three generations late with my gasifier:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Hi Kristijan,

OF course, there were days where I barely thought of something else :wink:
Years ago I was really impressed by the Kalle-Gasifier design. But I thought it might be hard to start with because of the membrane.
After reading the Swedish Gengas-book I was most likely to build something as a Mako S or Svedlund gasifier, as it was written that they can handle lower quality charcoal with some brands.
Then you guys had very good results with updraft designs, just to name some: Yours on the Seat and the Mercedes (first design), Koen, and especially the forge inspired design of Don and Gary Gilmore.
I also thought about crossdraft inspired by the Gohin-Poulenc.
Then you reported tar problems with your updraft system if not top quality char is at hand. So with your experiences I will go back close to the beginning and think of something as a Mako S gasifier, inspired by you latest compact design.

This is the advantage of beeing a later builder, I benefit a lot of the experiences of the DOW or DOC community.

I will post pictures as soon as it is worth, however, both you and I still need a bit patience until this point.

Have a nice week!

8 Likes

Haha l agree on the advantige of being a late builder :smile: but it seems in the last couple of years we as a comunity achived so much and still are, inovations and ideas popp dayly so at some point you just dive in :wink:

Your decision on the Mako is a good one. I too went for that, and cross breed it with a WK wood gasifier. Not only can it handle brands but allso a mix of char and raw wood. No traces of tar so far.

Allso l am super excited how water injection in the heat exchanger effects performance. In theory you can only preheat air 36% from the heat of the gas, but the rest of the heat culd be used to boil water, instead of heating the crows. The scavanged heat shuld allow to inject more water, thus making richer gas. Thats what l am ameing at, when time and weather alows.

8 Likes

I just realised l havent yet compared this system to others l had, in terms of performance. I have a rather rare advantige here (like Don on his Tracker too) since l had 3 different systems on the same car. In short:

• the first, wood gasifier had good top power, top speed was exceeding 120kmh, but terible idle ability. Better power in a bit higher rpm range.

• second, upraft charcoal gasifier, had acceptible power, top speed was about 110kmh, but it was no long range machine. Idle and takeoff were acceptible but not perfect. Takeoff without hybriding was a lotery.

• this downdraft charcoal gasifier l currently run is a bargain of quality aginst quantity. Its tiny and cant produce a lot of gas but the gas is of wery high quality. So; top speed is only about 80kmh, 90 if l have just cleaned the system and shaken the grate. But! The low rpm torq is fantastic! Takeoff on pure gas is never a problem. Once warmed up, it can preety much idle forever. Takes some time to do so thugh.
    So, since the gas quality is wery good, good power is achived despite there is litle gas coming in the engine. Resaults in good fuel economy. But much above 2300rpm the engine just strugles too much to suck the gas, plus l might overheat the gasifier.
    Allso, let me add the overall petrol consumption is the lowest on this system! Being able to drive on 100% char trugh the city is a huge advantige over previous systems regarding fuel ecconomy!

Now to see what water injection does to it. It shuld boost gas quality even more!

11 Likes

Haha, that’s funny Til. I think most of us can relate to that :smile:

7 Likes

Would it maybe be possible to position the water tank low in the trunk so that water would only be sucked into the heatex at high vacuum, when extra power is needed? That would prevent excess moisture and plugging downstream.

7 Likes

Thank you for the explanation of how this kind of TB works, I have never see one up close to look at. I did not know they were use back in the 70’s. Wow the American cars were still using the old aspirated carburetor type fuel systems on most of the American cars.
Bob

2 Likes

I love going for a drive with you, Kristijan throughout your countryside in your car, what a beautiful land you live in and a wonderful place you call home.
The simplicity you have built in your new design, the Down Draft WK Charcoal/Wood Gasifier, is just brilliant and being so small and hidden in the trunk under your front bumper and under the hood of the car stealth extraordinaire.
Hope to see more videos as time permits.
Thank you Kristijan for all your hard work.
Bob

4 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing the Land-Rover running on chargas Til, that might be a first for this DOW site.
Bob

1 Like

Bob, it’s actually a multi point system. Spring loaded fuel nozzles with constant spray. The airflow meter governs the fuelpressure regulator. Both are mecanical. No electronics needed. This system is still prefered by racing guys.

5 Likes

Continuous flow fuel injection is still used in aircraft for it’s simplicity:

Part 1
http://www.flight-mechanic.com/fuel-injection-systems-part-one/

Part 2
http://www.flight-mechanic.com/fuel-injection-systems-part-two/

Part 3
http://www.flight-mechanic.com/fuel-injection-systems-part-three/

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this Jeff.
Bob

2 Likes

JO, that wuld work yes but not quite what l wuld like to achive. I wuld like a constant air/water ratio being drawn in the gasifier. That way l get constant quality gas in all throtle positions and rpm.
The thing is l dont have much ability to advance the timing on this engine so it seems the rise in torq l am seeing now is due to higher hydrogen content, thus higher flame speed and better efficoancy.
I do plan to put the water tank in the compartment left of the gasifier, about same level. A corbourator seems to be most logical solution.

While on fuel injection. I noticed it is geting slow. There is a lag between (when l push the pedal down to hybrid) the pressing and when the engine actualy responses. Lambda shows this too. When pedal is pushed, it suddenly goes extremely lean for half a second, then it goes back to rich. My thinking is since l rerouted crankcase breather, it doesent asprate oil droplets in the AFM anymore to lubricate the mechanism. @JO_Olsson you think thats possible? Soot is inpossible becouse at no point the woodgas can get in the AFM.

4 Likes

I don’t think you ever answered wether you connected the new O2 sensor to its terminals or if you’re using it for your display only.

Now, if your new working sensor is connected, I think this is what happens:

The sensor will recognize your rich mix while running chargas and will make the fuelpressure regulator trim down the fuelpressure to a minimum. When you suddenly step on it, the airflow meter opens up the fuel plunches but there is very little pressure behind them.
Now, with a sudden lean condition it will take the regulator a while to restore the fuel pressure.

You explained the symptome so well I can still remember the feeling when swithing to hybriding with the Rabbit.
Try running a perfect a/f ratio on chargas and then step on the pedal. The fuelpressure should be trimmed to fit your needs emediately.

With your homemade linkage for hybriding you don’t really need the sensor input. If you disconnect it and use it only for your display there will probably be no more hesitation.

4 Likes

before changing the lambda probe, was there already a reaction time?

1 Like

Hi Kristijan
according to a study “https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/01651c85-8ee7-45d4-a205-1a1fda07c174/language-en” unhappily French

“The use of a gas with a sufficient hydrogen content dispenses with an ignition advance correction with respect to gasoline”

He speaks of 10% in water weight vs air

it warns, also not to exceed certain proportion of hydrogen that can cause auto-ignition

Thierry

4 Likes

Hi Thierry, when mixing fast burning gas with slow burning gas, isn’t there a counter acting affect with mixing them together? I would think the anti-knocking sensing device would correct the timing on most newer vechiles to a point.
Bob
Edit: Just realized you talking about pre-ignition in the cylinders, yes that could be a problem if that would happen.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Bob

2 Likes

JO, no, the lambda is disconnected! Only the two white wires are connected, those are supposed to be the heater.

Its interasting that the hasitation si not always the same. Its worse sometimes and better on the other days.

Thierry, l am not sure. I think it was ut not to this extent.

But if l remember right hydrogen is wery resistant to pressure preignition? Aka has high octane number…

4 Likes