Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Thanks Kristijan

Enjoyed the ride .

2 Likes

That was a good ride. A little spooky coming down the mountain, while you were fidgeting around with the gasifier. The thought came to me, if the engine stops running and you loose power steering and brakes, the would really get exciting. With a stick shift all is well. Around your place up on the mountain I didnā€™t see and fields to grow crops. Couple of nice tractors Your last video I was impressed with the modern town-- not what Ihad expected.
Very shocked to see you donā€™t have snow on the ground and even one person on a motorcycle. That helps explain a little bit how you get so much work done. We have gotten one snow storm after another with NO thawing between. Suppose to have a day above freezing tomorrow, so we will get rain, then that turns into snow of between 8-12 inches
Hope to get another ride like todays when things turn green. TomC

3 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom

Are you aware you can pull the older model MB off just like you can a stick shift .:grinning:

2 Likes

Well its kinda hard filming, driving and buckleing a seat belt at the same time but other thain that not much more fuss with the DOW then on petrol. The change on the A/F valve was expected as l mentioned before the drive.

Ha, why do l get the feeling you think l live in some third world place? :smile: l think l shuld make a sight seeing video

Oh, you did see fealds. Its just that they are all at at angle :smile: Wifes father and his family had 15 fealds, some tilted at a angle most people wuldnt even think of walking on and l am not exhagurating. We only cut hay on those fealds now and you need a pair of strong hands and knees to hold the BCS walkbehind grass cutter.

On weather, its actualy rather bad. We had wery litle precipitation last few months. Plus this recent warming we had is highly unusual. I cant say l dont like it but its just not good.
You didnt see motocycles becouse it just stoped raining. Warm weather will lure them out soon :wink:

Btw, are we close to see Tomā€™s drive video?

6 Likes

Sorry but yes I did think you lived in close to a third world-- I donā€™t even know what country you live in. I wish DOW would list the location of itā€™s members. I thought at one time your country was under Russian rule is where I got the idea. Your video of driving around a parking lot in town was very enlightening.
In '47 my folks took us down to Tennessee which is hilly like your land. They pasture cows in those fields and I ask my dad how the cows could walk on flat land with the legs on one side shorter that on the other. I had a walk behind grass cutter, but it didnā€™t work well without a real on it to pull the grass into the blades.
I mentioned motorcycles because you did passe one in your video which indicated to me, that it wasnā€™t too cold.
"Tomā€™s video??? Who knows. Tomorrow it might get up to 37 F which is the highest it has been in over a month. Then it drops back to about ā€œ0ā€ for who knows how long. I bought a 40,000 BTU heater for the shop, but it just does not get the job done when it is in the area of ā€œ0ā€. TomC

5 Likes

Not far from here a couple old brothers lived all there lives in their parents house. They were called ā€œslopeshoe brothersā€. They did everything the old way. They scythed their steep hayfields and had attached angeled heels to their boots for the purpose :smile:

6 Likes

Kristijan, I never realised you live so close to town. Is that Celje? I remember you said you have a 20 km drive to work, but thatā€™s maybe on the opposite side?

3 Likes

Kristijan, Thanks for cleaning and startup videos. I like your innovative simplicity and your sense of humor. Your input to DOW is greatly appreciated.

7 Likes

I live in the same country your first lady was born. As a matter of fact, if you remember, l promised you a ride trugh her birth town about 2 years back. Its only about 25 miles from us. Sorry, hadnt yet got to it.

Nope, never under Rusia. I shuld check, but l think we are about as close to Rusia as you are.
Well, only 2 things that are third world here. Our politics and the roads. You may have seen in the videos, the older roads are all pached up and in a bad condition.

JO, no, thats the begining of town Å entur, Celje is a nother 10 km further. The actual own starts later, when l stoped the video l entered the ā€œsuburbiansā€ so to say.

8 Likes

Kristijan,

What are your latest charcoal consumption numbers and how far can you go before refilling? Did I understand correctly that with your downdraft design, you can refill while the engine is still running on chargas?

3 Likes

To be honest l havent yet got a number but for sure the consumption is higher now that l drive on 95% char.

Yes, this is correct. The design of this gasifier even alows a smoke free hopper since there is a restriction between the hopper and the gasifier. In this case there wuld be a ā€œleakā€ established in the hopper and the speed of air going down from the hopper counters the uprise of the smoke, but l havent yet tested this!

5 Likes

Kristijan, I looked up Celje, Slovenia and it looks like a very nice town. It showed an old castle that was in very good shape for the age. In the US if a building gets 70 years old we tare it down. In the early 30ā€™s we built many schools, all about a like with red brick and sand stone window sills. Now they are hard to find because everyone wants a new school and they tore the olds down. I have always kidded JO about Sweden having the most beautiful girls, but now you tell me Melania Trump is from Slovenia, I have to have two favorite countries for beautiful women. I canā€™t look up the other town you mentioned to JO because I donā€™t know how to make an ā€œSā€ with that curly que above it. TomC

3 Likes

Yes, every major city had a castle on high grounds. Thats from medieval times, where we were under constant atack mainly my the Turks. Our capital Ljubljana has a nice one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Å”entjur&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiIuJSz6tLgAhWRO1AKHaHsCPAQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=Å”entjur&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.12..0l5.37846.44378..49409...0.0..3.196.1979.1j15ā€¦0ā€¦1ā€¦0ā€¦0i67.zvohRjp5K84&ei=X79xXMiMN5H3wAKh2aOADw&bih=560&biw=360&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=imvn&hl=sl

Here you go. Its a small town not much to offerā€¦

Rather check my birth vilage, in the hearth of the Alpes

https://www.google.com/search?q=podljubelj&client=ms-android-samsung&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjo6JL-6tLgAhXmp4sKHWNOBVYQ_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=360&bih=560&dpr=3

Edit: you might imagine moveing about 100 miles south where l live now was a good idea regarding woodgas :smile:

7 Likes

Kristijan,

It is amazing to me that you donā€™t use a cyclone and only filter the chargas through one bag made out of a bath towel. You have explained how it works and I see it collects a lot of dust. Do you find dust collecting in the engine intake? Have you ever had to disassemble one of your vehicle engines to clean out the dust that got through? Do you have to change oil more often?

4 Likes

@KristijanL Thanks ā€“ will see if I can find an equivalent; that info is helpful. I definitely understand wanting to see/inspect products first before buying. I wish I had the option of such things locally available, but Iā€™m stuck with ordering sight unseen.

2 Likes

The intake/piping is as clean as it was on petrol. That was the case with the felt sack. Nothing went trugh that. With the towel we will see.

I changed oil when l started this system and it seems to have good colour. Perhaps even less black thain petrol.

8 Likes

I think you are onto something with that cup of water in the pail of charcoal to keep dust down and make h2.

8 Likes

It is amazing that such a simple filtering system is so effective. You never know what will happen when you dare to try the unthinkable. Great job on this and other aspects of your designs.

4 Likes

Don, unfortunaly this will only work with a downdraft gasifier. Maybee crossdraft.
Allso l must say l never like to take credit for oters ideas, this one was from Til l think.

Steve, the felt fabric was wery effective but prone to plugging with traces of tar. Still far from saying the towel eliminates all dry dust. I know it does eliminate all moist dust from a updraft gasifier (Seat Arosa thread)

6 Likes

Dear Kristijan,
great system and performance! Really enjoyed your videos, thanks a lot for sharing your experiences!
Few questions: How often do you have to clean the ash bin and the filter? Also, do you have to clean the gas pipe and gas cooler frequently, as the filter comes later? You mentioned the gas pipe once, if I remember correctly.

Regarding the moist charcoal: I just brought it up to this discussion, but have read it in a report of WW2 experiences (I think it was about the Kalle gasifier).

Iā€™m about to pull my old Land-Rover out of the shed where it was stored away for more than 4 years now. Have to check everything and bring it to the vehicle inspection, which is mandatory in Germany. Hopefully I can let it breathe some chargas this year, but this is another storyā€¦ Your experiences definitely make my excited to try it.
Well, I will keep you informed if there is some progress worth to report.

Have a nice Sunday evening!
Til

7 Likes