Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Yes, thanks God the frustrating days are over. For now.

I filled 2.5 gal of petrol in last week. 150 miles driven and the fuel still isnt used up. That has to put a smile on your face right? :grin:

Yes l use some wood mixed with the char or l mix a cup of water with every bucket of dry char, 2.5 gal. It sees to be just right so that no condense forms and the gas is of best quality.

Haha, if you put it that way l guess yes, she is preety unique then :smile: but lets not call her a true woodgasser yet, first she has to master maintinence&startup to earn that title!

12 Likes

My wife is also unique in that she actually rode a charcoal powered motorcycle.

16 Likes

Ha, I guess I have some persuasion to do then :smile:
…which might be a harder task for me than the actual driving for my wife. We always owned old carbed cars with manual choke back in the 90s. They always needed a little hands on in wintertime.

6 Likes

Thanks for the videos and pictures Ray and Kristijan ,

4 Likes

Wheeew! You got your wife to do it. This is a big step toward general acceptance. But she must be able to do this alone. And then if she can teach other women… I have seen women do everything. They can do it. But acceptance is very difficult. Thanks for all your work Kristijan.
Rindert

6 Likes

Thanks for all the learning vidios and photo designs’ Kristkjan,could you tell me the page number or your current down draft design ,from char at the grate too the ash bin bottom end.Are you pulling the gas through the grate then sidways before entering the ash bin…Thanks for showing your designs and walk around builds looking pro biult.

2 Likes

Let Karmen know the DOW people are impressed. Ha ha my Dana still has not even rode in my truck yet. She does not like the smell of wood gas. It’s not for everyone I guess. Charcoal gas does have a different smell, maybe getting a vehicle on the road like yours will change her mind. Just for now its time to just let Karmen drive the car. I do not make Dana do any maintenance on the car or trucks. Did Karmen need any lemons to wipe the SWEM off her face?
Bob

7 Likes

Kudo’s to the CPL (Charcoal Powered Ladies)! That makes me smile. Thanks guys!

9 Likes

Even when mine is running, my wife does not want to drive it, but she sure loves it when I take her for a ride. It is one time when we don’t have any place we “need” to go, I just drive around the country side. TomC

8 Likes

Yes sir Tom. 5 miles to get to work 40-60 miles to get home.

12 Likes

Tom, that is a true DOW fan. Take the long way home. SWEM.
Bob

8 Likes

Ha, Ray, l can defenetly see the SWEM on her face :smile:

Bob, she does this by her self as she reads DOW from time to time :slight_smile: usualy just making sure l dont type something stupid :smile:

5 Likes

I installed a new o2 sensor, the original one was broaken. Its a narrow band but it gets me usefull information.
The display shows milivolts. For refference, 0mV is wery lean, 450mV stech. and 1000mV wery rich.
I like to run just slightly on the rich side at around 800.

9 Likes

Maybe the O2-sensor needs a certain flow (amount of heat) to give a proper reading.
Did you also connect it to where it’s supposed to be connected in order to help you with finetuning for hybriding?

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan, the char gas that is coming up to your cars intake manifold is going through the butterfly valve you built, which has linkage going to the throttle body controlling it. Are still adding extra air through the Lumbar part of the fuel control manually with a valve plate? Have you checked to see if it is operating properly?
Edit: okay I went back to post 149 and found how you set it up to get the proper air ratio through the Lumbar on char gas and fuel at the same time. If it was not working properly it would not run on fuel only either.
Bob

2 Likes

Bob, that’s the thing. Kristijan has been running without sensor input so far. The mecanical AFM makes sure fuel is delivered in proportion to air. The O2 sensor input is only for finetuning. Earlier models didn’t even have it. MB, Volvo, Saab used this type of fuel injection since the early 70s.

I hope Kristijan doesn’t mind me answering. I get the feeling he’s pretty springtime busy at the moment.
Myself and the dogs are waiting for a blizzard to pass :smile:

8 Likes

Is that display showing millivolts 0-1000mv range? If so, where did you obtain that, if you have a link handy?

1 Like

JO, if l push the throtle and kill the engine the rich reading stays for a couple of minutes even thugh there is no flow trugh the sensor.

Bob, the top, original tb system is as l found it when l bought the car. And the original TB is air tight. Untill the gas pedal is pressed more thain 50% that is.

JO, l see you both suffer wery much :smile:

Steve, yes it shows anywhere from 2000mv up to 500v, you set the range by soldering some jumpers on the back side. Ha, cant help you with the link. I am old fasioned and not a fan of internet buying, whenever l can l like to see the product before buying.

5 Likes

Edit: l forgot, those two fit with the video

Loads of dust that collects on the sack then shake off.

11 Likes

A nother video, bare with me :smile:

16 Likes