Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Thanks for the video Kristijan .

BBB

3 Likes

I have a question for you guys that made small WK style gasifiers. This is a skech of what my gasifier hearth looks like. Eddy has offered to draw them in detail when we get the time to work things out but for now, this is the crude drawing.

Note this has many features of a WK gasifier.

-8 large 9mm nozzles
-restriction at the bottom
-extensive air preheat with a finned heatex

Now this gasifier is designed to run primarly on ground aka ā€œengine gradeā€ charcoal but the idea was it culd allso be tuned in to run on raw wood. My question to you guys is what do you thinkā€¦ Will it run on wood? I mean tar free ofcorse :smile: i have been throwing in peaces of half chared wood with the char with no tar so far but pure wood?

8 Likes

Hi Kristijan, Im no expert on WK design though my thought is if your char bed is smaller you may make tar when bridgeing of over pushing the system thus depleating your reserve char, thats too me one of the main benifits with actual WK design, EXTRA CHAR= more time too shake out a bridge, and extra passing fuel before char gets depleated.Once char is depleated as you know, you loose power or start makeing tarry gas. i hate too use up the extra height in my little s10 so i am mounting my next gasifier on trailer too lower the wind drag. Hope i dident read your Questain Wrong, Just plain knowege. Glad you found the faulty filter, were back too makeing sure are filters are easy access, or change out.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Iā€™m glad you found your problem.
I guess your gasifier could run on wood too, but with limited power. Some of the space in the heart would be used for charing wood and the charbed pretty shallow. What @kmrland said, that might cause tar to sneak by if things donā€™t work perfectly.

4 Likes

Kristijan, my question is were is the tar going to go and the extra moisture that can not be used. The Charcoal in your retort with some brands might be aright. Iā€™m with Kevin and JO, straight raw wood might make tar very quickly and tar up you engine.
I have used wood that showed 5% to 10% moisture and that was to much for my wood gasifier and I had water and tar going to my Condensation tank. The wood was 20 years old and was gray wood, fur poles.
Does your filter bag stop the tar from going to you engine?
Bob

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback guys, l agree. I will stay with charcoal and maybee mix in a chunk of wood or two for a test. That shuldnt hurt.

Bob, yes it catches a lot of tar but not all.

4 Likes

What did you resolve about your cooling rails freezing up with water, that wasnā€™t suppose to be there in the first place?? TomC

3 Likes

To tell the truth l dont even know what exactly was wrong. Most likely a combination of small factors. But for now it seems to work great!

There was talk of the gas blowers in Waynes topic. Here is what l did 2 days back.

Ping pong ball non return valve

The blower l sneaked from wifes small battery vacuum cleaner. She was not happy :smile: but the motor is rated at 7.2v and you can imagine how that looks like hooked to 12v! It sucks like crazy. For how long, we will seeā€¦

11 Likes

Kristijan I hope you are looking for a newer replacement vaccum cleaner for her. For your oun sake, and not a new broom and dust pan.
A happy wife makes for a happy husband that DOW.
Great idea with the ping pong ball non return valve setup. So simple.
Bob

5 Likes

I like that ping pong ball idea too- but looking at the picture I cant quite tell where exactly the gas is going? It seems that you are sucking on the pipe to lift the ball, but where is the outlet (or is this just a test?). I also advise caution when it comes to disassembling your wifeā€™s things, and on Valentines day no less!

7 Likes

Youā€™re treading in thin ice, my friend.

5 Likes

No worryes, l allready payed her back by taking her out for dinner :slight_smile: Drove there on wood, wich counts double l guess :smile:

Carl, the gas goes nowhere. Its sucked and vented out trugh ports near the motor. On top of the white houseing. I built a cover to vent the gas away from the car but l am not sure l will install it, its more prone to clogging the motor with tar, condense and dust that way.

I decided to test raw wood anyway yesterday. Well, a mix of about 1/3 dry wood chunks 2/3 dry engine grade dry charcoal by volume. So far this shows great promise!

Good power, no hopper smoke and no detectible signs of tar. For now l will only use this fuel for longer drives where the temp in the gasifier is high. I will move from here.

8 Likes

Are you still using a slycone type filter up front in the engine compartment after the filter sock for moisture trap?
Bob

1 Like

You can make her happy again when you attach a central vacuum hose to the house at 12vdc. :rofl:

4 Likes

Kristijan, is that the front cooler you attached blower and ping pong valve to?
Do you still use the towel instead of a felt filter?

3 Likes

Bob no, the only moisture trap s the cooler being so low. But with practice l figured out eactly how much water l must add to the charcoal so none gets by in the first place. There is only dry dust in the cooler/filter now.

JO, no, the filter box. Yes l stiched the towel stronger at home and filled in ss dishwashing pads for support.

5 Likes

I donā€™t want to be a pita, but sittning here gasping for breath in a nightshift coma, I wouldnā€™t mind being entertained. How about a lightup video with that new blower of yours? :wink:

7 Likes

Well l guess you had to wake up from the coma without my help but l still made a couple of videos.

8 Likes

I planned to fech my brother at the train station later and make a video of the startup too but he didnt need a ride so l did not have a reason to drive. We did go visit the swiming pool but at the time it was too dark for the video.

But! There is a bonus video for you guys.

On the way home it was wifes turn to DOW :slight_smile: only a second time in her life, first with the Mercedes. She did a great job. The truth is the two-in-one woodgas-petrol throtle makes DOW as easy as a ordinary drive. One just needs to keep track on the hopper temp and be carefull not to rev the engine too much, not to overdraw the gasifier. 1500-2000rpm is the sweetspot.

Edit: on occasion l killed the fuel pump secretly to see if she was cheating, pressing the pedal to petrol mode but she was a good girl all the time, driving with suns power :sunny:

15 Likes

Ha, lotā€™s of videos, like Christmas to me :smile: Thank you.
You seem to be up and running just fine by now.
Do you still use slightly moist char, or did that cause to much bridging?
Oh, and I wonder how many women that have been DOW since WW2 :smile: Not many I suspect. Does Karmen realise sheā€™s unique amongst billions of women in the world?

9 Likes