Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Rindert, the beauty of the K-jet system is it doesn’t have a computer. No electronics at all actually, until 1988-89 when the cat became mandatory and a lambda circuit was added.

This video is old but very informative.

5 Likes

Bob, thats great news! Looking forward to what you come up with!

What you sayd. Its for sure a small thing but damn hard to find! More l look at it, more it seems like you guys are right. I am extremely buissy at the moment but as soon as l get some free time l will take a look at it.

Yesterday l went all in. I loaded half a hopper with wood/char mix, the other one with pure wood. The idea was pure wood starts burning when the gasifier is at optimal temperature. And it worked :wink: idle good, power slightly reduced. But today the throtle was slightly sticky. Barely noticable. I know my limits now. Althugh l think long highway 100% wood drives might just be possible! But its true, charcoal allows for a longer range.
Oh, l allso opened the filter today. Nothing but dry fluffy dust in so it seems the gasifier does make dry gas even with my wood experimentation.

11 Likes

Thanks Jan. That is a very nice system. I don’t understand everything. I have to think about it more.

2 Likes

Its a big national holiday rangeing from fryday to wednsday and we decidedto visit the bigest carneval in Slovenia, in our oldest city, Ptuj. Here are some videos wife shot on the trip :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/UKtNUyKd-4g

Good solid 100% woodgas power :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/gxrPc9sDc6k

Unfortunaly we were a bit too late to get a good standing point to look at the main event but we did get to see the guys at the end of the show.

This is a traditional character called Kurent, it predates Christianity. You can see many different forms of characters, devils, wiches, angels… but the main is Kurent, the pegan God. They all have their simbolic meanings but the point of all this is only one. Make as much noise and apearance as possible to chase the winter away. The Kurent suit is made out of the fur of a special kind of sheep, with many simbolic acessorys like goose wings, boar tusks etc that all serve a simbolic purpose. Enormous cow bells around his belt is what makes the noise.
Make no mistake, performing in this costume is serious work. Its wery heawy, hot and dificult to carry. You can see people in the film are all red and sweaty. Its hot as it is and the characteristic dance they make to make the bells ring… hard work! But like l sayd this is at the wery end of the parade where many Kurents took off the mask already. Alltogether over 800 kurents chased away the winter!
I hoped to see and film the “crackers”, groups of men and boys with long whips that make a wery loud show, but l was too late.

A nother traditional character, the Gipsys.

I will focus on woodgas tomorow, wish you a nice sunday.

9 Likes

Looks like the MB is running great!
Funny, in the black forest there are groups of so called “witches” that look very similar.

1 Like

I didn’t realize that your son would inhairet your mustachio at such a young age. Good to hear you took time off for the family. You are such a work horse. TomC

4 Likes

Ha, he wanted to be a firefighter for this years carneval. Guess what the moustache is made of. Daddys motor fuel :wink:

Now for the woodgas part. Prior to the 80 mile roundtrip l emptyed the ashpit, shook the grate and cleaned the filter.
Here you can see inside the towel sack. A thick lair of dust over it but the inside is still clean and dust free.

I toped up with 50/50 mix of charcoal/wood. With the system all clean and breathable l can open the air mixer valve 100% and still run a bit rich.
This was the first real highway drive. One video is in my previous post, it was shot soon after joining the highway.

I never intended this system to be a highway machine. Top speed of 50mph is what l amed for when building it, rest l planed to top up with petrol. But l decided to see whats the top most power the system can produce so l went fifth gear and WOT, for a while top speed was constant 90-95kmh (58mph) like you can see in the video. Keep in mind my speedometer shows 7-10 kmh too litle.
But then something weird append. The car just kept pulling and pulling and l reached 110kmh on pure woodgas! And that was not just temporary power, it maintained it for about 20miles. Hopper vacuum rised, hopper temp stayed at working temp (60c).
How such a tiny gasifier can produce that much good gas is beond me. My first guess was the gasifier was owerdrawn and l was runing on rich tary pirolisis gas. But no! Not a trace of tar was found later anywhere. Just dry dust and the throtle is nice and loose.
My guess is when the system got hot enough the superheated air alowed the wood to burn fast enough to keep up with demand.
At the way home the charbed started to plug and l was back to normal power and l had to restrict the air a bit. If l had a remote grate shaker l wuld have the power again.

This is our drive back from the event. Gasifier not quite up to temp so l pushed the hybrid throtle geting out the roundabout. You can see the hasitation l talked about earlyer. First wery lean, allmost stalls, then it pulls good on petrol.

And a bot refuel.

I am so sory for the rotated video. Wife held the phone wrong way. If you can, look at the video on the smart phone with screen locked.
Ofcose things always go wrong when you film :smile: the wood sack got stuck under the daughters seat.
Anyway, l open the hopper lid slightly for the engine to draw the smoke. You can see even thugh l use wood there is not much hopper smoke! Or temperature for that manner. My guess is charcoal being such a good insulator and radiationt absorber, it prevents heat to escape in the hopper much. Plus l have a restriction between hopper and firetube.

10 Likes

Wow, very impressive Kristijan, the remote grate shaker will make a difference for sure. Your gasifier is working great. The long all metal cooling system is doing its job. And the filtering box with the towel sack is keep char soot out of the engine intake. My hat is off to you in what you have achieved with your 50% wood, 50% charcoal fuel gasifier. And not to forget to mention the stealth when you fueled it up and driving on the highway and in town.
I enjoyed watching the other videos of your cultures of your past history. My Dana is of the Hungarian gypsy ancestry. Thank you for the videos.
Bob

4 Likes

Thank you Bob.
The city we visited is wery close to Hungary.
The gypsys in the pics are just costumes but there was a group of the real ones playing their music at a bar we went for a drink at. Acordion, drums and brass. Man those men can make your feet ichy. The energy of their songs is amazing. Im sorry l didnt film them for Dana.

3 Likes

A very well working system Kristijan.
50% wood + wet char and still no excess moisture downstream?

Oh, and nice Slovenian views.

4 Likes

Oh no, the char is dry when mixed with wood. Its only when l use pure charcoal that l add some water to it.

5 Likes

Thanks Kristijan .

You put a smile on my face on an early cold and wet Monday morning :grinning:

8 Likes

What everyone has said about your gasifier, I agree. But the video of your country has completely charged how I think of Slovenia. Still not sure that I could point it out exactly on a world map, but now I would come close. My fat finger might cover the entire country. Thanks for an interesting day. TomC

5 Likes

Tom, that has amazed me about the sizes of some countries in Europe vs the USA. And yet we have with in our country, the state of Road Island very small vs. The state of Alaska the size of half the USA.
I believe it is not the size of your land that is important it is the the size of the loving hearts of the people of the land, or country that makes the country Great. This is directly related on how much they will help other people in need with out expecting anything in return. Inside and outside there own land or country.
Bob

10 Likes

Kristijan, I’ve watched your videos over and over again. Especially the refuling part. The first time I didn’t realise the engine was running during refuling. Interesting how much opening the hopper lid affected rpm.
What was the range on a 50/50 hopper?

8 Likes

Dear Bob,
totally agree.
I have visited a couple of countries. The vast majority of people just want a healthy family, a house, food, a job from which they can live and a social life and peace with their neighbours. It depends on local culture and history how things look like. Most people I met like to help each other.
On the other hand, there are big interests in power and money. They like to make you unhappy to sell more stuff or anxious to follow them (long story very short).
Use your mind, ask yourself which action/statement is to whom’s benefit and don’t forget that across the border are just humans like yourself.
There is a proverb: “War means that old men are talking and young men are dying.”

Enough off-topic now, sorry for that.

10 Likes

Til, I agree 110% of what said. What Kristijan is doing is for the benefit of everyone, just like we are all trying to do with the DOW site and not expecting anything in return, and yet we are all receiving so much more from each other. This principle works in all goodness for mankind in everything we do.
I’m glad that it is the basis of DOW. I know Wayne and Chris and other members have put their all into DOW. Like the Argos Wood Gas Events year after year. Not expecting anything in return. But Blessings come back over flowing in many forms. This is just one kind of way we can manifest Love to each other in acts of kindness to each other, and to be Blessed over and over again.
Thank you Til and Kristijan.
Bob

9 Likes

Hi Kristijan , great video’s thanks very much for them even the one where my laptop was tilted on its side so i could check out your stelf refueling :grinning: , one thing i noticed that your system is missing in that large boot of yours, is a hand basin with hot and cold running water and towel rack for clean ups after refilling :joy:

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
you probably already know or it is no big surprise that Mercedes-Benz built a charcoal-gasifier car (a version of the model 170 V) during WW2.
I found this picture

:

It is a crossdraft-gasifier at the backside and a sack-filter at the front. No EGR or water. Nozzle was a quite massive cast-iron piece that still had to be replaced frfom time to time.
Not very stealth compared to yours :wink:

10 Likes

Tom, search between Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia. A small spot on the map in the shape of a chickhen :smile:

JO, good eyes and ears. I think what happens is when the hopper lid is opened the high moisture gas from the hopper gets sucked trugh the hot charbed, making wery rich gas. But you may have noticed, when l finished refueling, the engine barely idles. Charbed cools so much from all the steam. But without air preheat and the flywheel effect, idle ability wuld be as miserable as every of my previous systems.
Range. 50/50 mix of mainly softwood charcoal and alder/wilow chunks, engine runing top power most the time, l had to refuel just before we arived there thats about 60km.

Its a honor to give back to such a generous society. Althugh l am seeing a trend lately, people are becomeing less greedy and selfish with knolidge. Finaly! In my opinion NO knolidge shuld ever be for sale. Thanks god for internet.

Dave, belive it or not, l actualy seriously concidered that :smile: l need a water tank anyway, when l start experimenting with water injection.

8 Likes