Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Good clean easy set up i like that too. What might be the big and small charco you use.And why must charco be smaller than wood?Thanks.

1 Like

You are right about your under side intake, "make this spot a place for a woodgas throttle ". Nice job on the TB housing ,shaft, and flap.
Bob

3 Likes

I think yours might be a bit wet but thats all. There shuldnt be much soot comeing with the low velocity gas at shutdown.
My woodgas comes right underneeth the mechanism, rushing right in. Combined with a bit of oil from crankcase breather and things get messy.

Hmm good point on air filters. My guess is the moisture compacs them somewhat faster?

Kevin, charcoal is idealy smaller thain wood becouse smaller particles mean more surface area, wich means a faster and more complete reaction.

As a matter of fact, look in your wood gasifier. The charcoal there is, or shuld be, exactly the same size as for a charcoal gasifier. This size is most reactive/non restrictive.

6 Likes

Brilliant! I hadn’t thought ethylene glycol was combustible. Great disposal method. Only downside is here antifreeze had to be mixed 50 - 50 for minus 40, to give a margin over the coldest nights. But as a consumable, a person could watch the weather forecast and top up accordingly…

2 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
what kind of gas filtration do you use at the moment? Did this amount of soot and dirt in the intake just came within the last couple of days? Or was it caused already over a longer time by the engine breather’s oily fumes?

In the old books, it is written that dust from charcoal gasifiers (consisting more of ash and charcoal dust) has a more grinding effect in the engine than the dust of wood gasifiers (consisting more of soot).
But, charcoal gas is a lot easier to clean. Best is a cloth filter like you used in the your Seat-system.

Besides that the new throttle is a great idea, please don’t forget a good gas-filtration. Your engine will be thankful!

1 Like

Hi Til!

Now l used the 2 wet cyclones. They worked wery well with woodgas, expeling moisture and soot out from the gas. I left them in when testing the chargas sistem, but now its time for them to go.They cant work properly with dry chargas.

The jetronic machanisms were clean when l started. Just oily. They got sooty black when l started to DOW.
But its not just soot, its allso other corrosive compounds l was afraid of.
Its not they got abnormaly dirthy, just normal woodgas dirthy. No problem in most sistens, but (potentialy) problematic for this delicate fuel injestion mechanism.

What you say makes sence.

The new filtration. First, l will try to fit on a cyclone. It that isnt possible, the dusty gas will go trugh the cooler to the engine compartment, in a sack filter similar to the one l had in my Seat. Only change will be the new filter will have more smaller sacks with nozzles inside, thugh wich a blast of pressurised air will be blasted in dayly to shake the dust off. Collected at the bottom and auguered out. We have a identical sistem where l work, only much, MUCH bigger. Works 24/7 for years with no problem.
After that, l pulled the gas trugh the original paper filter on my Seat. Thats not possible here, so l might make a oil final filter. Will see.

I spent a lot of time in the workshop lately, makeing the new tb system. The problem is connecting both throtle bodys to work independantly and together if neaded (hybriding) with just one gas pedal. But l think l got it now and l an quite pleased with how it all looks like.

7 Likes

We are of course curious what that tb mecanism looks like :wink:

5 Likes

Hi Krisitjan,

if a cyclone is not possible, that’s not too bad. The cloth filter even works better if there is not only fine dust, but also coarser particles. They form a less dense cake, which falls off more easily.
The only problem might be that your under body cooler pipes get filled with dust over the time if the filter is in the engine compartment.

Here are two cloth filters which I like:
http://gazogenes.free.fr/tuyere_refroidissement_eau.html
Look at “Le Filtre”. The filter cake just falls down to the bottom of the box and can be collected from time to time. Filter hoses can be easily made at home, not a difficult shape. For cleaning, just open the upper lid, shake the filter hoses a bit and wait for the dust to settle in the lower box. Quite handy, but a bit too large maybe.
Mercedes-Benz used a filter like this in their charcoal-system.

Or a filter with a accordion shape.
For example here: Maybe @JO_Olsson can help with translating some details?
http://www.gengas.nu/byggbeskrivningar/dukrenare/index.shtml

This filter is more compact. It is used in this Mercedes in combination with wood-gas as a glass-fibre hot filter, but it would work also with cloth as cold chargas-filter.
It’s in picture 5 to 7 (counted from above). The small screws are openings for an air blast to clean it, without one has to open the filter box.
http://www.gengas.nu/bilder/gengaskalle.shtml
This is a very nice and clean build, isn’t it? Nearly stealth, except the hopper.

As cloth material: Your towel experience sounds very good! In WW2, they also used woolen felt. Maybe today, a synthetic filter felt would be best?

3 Likes

Til,
That MB-guy lived only 25 km from me. He´s gone now, but I heard the car is still alive even though i haven´t seen it around lately.
I know Max Gasman mentioned this type filter would clog easily due to horisontal surfaces. Maybe it works better with chargas since it´s dryer.
No problem, I´ll translate if needed.

2 Likes

Hi Jan-Ola,
seems that you live in a Gengas-hotspot :wink: But I’m sorry to hear that the builder of this MB passed away. Would have been nice to ask him about his design.

Well, if the “corrugations” of the accordion are vertical, it shouldn’t be too bad. The gaps should be wide enough. I think the ones in the link are a bit too close together. Maybe this filter clogged because of this? And of course the total filtration surface is smaller than the area of the sheet if wrapped around the thinner parts.

1 Like

I am not yet done with reading but an intermezzo, has anyone heared from Max lately? He hasnt posted in a long time. Hope hes OK.

3 Likes

Oh no need for a translater! Not to brag but l have learned Swedish quite well recently. l already posess a word “koloxid” (carbon monoxide) in my Swedish wocabulary! :smile:

Joke to the side, we wuld love a brief translation! This sistem seems hold lots of interasting features.
Culd you point us some information? I managed to understand he used glass fibre with 10% teflone and 3.5m2 of it. Else l didnt understand much.

Til, this kind of filter (French) l had on my wood powered Chevy. Worked well. Shuld work eaven better with chargas.

Good point on corse dust! I didnt have a cyclone on the Seat.
Yes l am afraid of what will happen to the cooler pipes. Woodgas soot washes easyaly, anyone washed chargas piping before? My fear is the dust being rather higrofobic (repelling water).

Towel worked perfectly on my Seat. The paper filter stayed clean. As a matter of fact, l still drive with that paper filter. Yet l think l will go for something denster since l will run the gas from this directly.
The Gohin-poulenc allso uses a “safety filter”! Not sure what kind thugh, the skiz dont show.

I also like “koloxid” and kolgas :slight_smile:

This was usually a fine metal mesh of bronze or brass wire, about 500 mesh/cm2. If your cloth filter is damaged, the safety filter is clogged up soon and the pressure drop is a sign that something is wrong for the driver.

5 Likes

Genious! I was thinking of how to make a indicator of the sacks ripping, you just gave ne a solution.

Are you sure you are not fooling us all on being just a “theoretical woodgaser” ? :wink: A admirable knowlidge repertoar!

5 Likes

No, just a “bookworm” on any wood-gas literature :wink:
Look at page 195 of the Swedish gengas book.

An example can be seen in this video, it is in the top of the filter lid. Minute 1:11 A bit more surface would reduce the flow resistance.

3 Likes

I agree with Kristijan. You certainly did your homework.

About the translation there is not much to add that the pics don’t tell. The importance of a proper dump and emptying it regularely is discussed. With the movements of the car the filter should be self cleaning.

Oh, l ment the whole build text :blush: you know, displacement, range, fuel consumption… does he say anything on those?

I can’t find any such information in these links. However I remember reading about this car somewhere else a few years back. It’s originally an old 2L? diesel that has been converted to spark ignition. If I remember right the top speed was 110 km/h and range 80 km.

1 Like

Til, you dug out a nother good peace of information. I havent yet seen that one. A nother pair of Makos it seems…

JO,

Ha, a diesel! Interasting. Now l am eaven more interasted. Need to look at it some more. Thank you.

In one english system, 10 square inches of 400 mesh is used for the safety filter. This mesh is now available in SS.

2 Likes