Mercedes-Benz E230 vol. 2, charcoal powered

Wow, that first link is great! Interesting suggestion to mix smaller anthracite with charcoal, then use charcoal granules as purifying material before the filter. The practical operational details in this document are the best I’ve seen.

1 Like

You speek French Bruce?

No, but my computer does. I just hit the translate button above the document and voila!

2 Likes

Well, actually I have some experiences with DOW, but without the detour of gasification :wink:

This little loco was built in 1939 as a tramway loco. It was rescued from the scrapyard in the 60s, modified with a tender and spark arrestor to burn wood and is in service at the castle garden railway (Schlossgartenbahn) in the city of Karlruhe since the 70s. Burning only wood since then!
I’m a fireman and driver since many years now in the spare time. The little light blue car was my Trabant (sold it to a friend), built in former eastern Germany. Quite funny to drive. With its 0.6 litre 2 cyl. aircooled two-stroke engine, it is a bit different to what you V8-guys are used :wink:

The bigger loco only burns wood during firing up the boiler. The trailer load is half the amount you need for one firing up the boiler. The grate area is 4 square meter. you can have a picknick in the firebox with a bunch of people. I’m also a fireman and driver and made a driver’s licence for mainline-service in my spare time. Quite time consuming. This is one of the reasons why I didn’t had time to build a gasifier so far.

The old Land-Rover Series 2 from 1961 is also belongs to me. This will be my “victim” for gasification. No race car even with gasoline, but the low rev. 2 1/4 litre engine will give enough power to move along. In Germany, there are no emission controls for cars built prior to 1968. This legal loophole allows the use of a gasifier. Well at least, the emission laws are not the limiting factor in this case. Still not easy, the regular vehicle safety checks are very strict here, but principally doable.

Sorry for being a bit off-topic

10 Likes

You just shadowed us all. A DOW TRAIN? And not one! How cool is that?
You have got some interasting toys there :smile:

Whats the wood consumption on the litle loco?

Ha, our American friends did their share in litle Kinder egg toy cars too. @handy_andy is restoreing one of them.
Nice job on maintinence thugh, all machines look brand new!

Are you planing to char or woodgas the Land rover?

3 Likes

The little loco uses about 1 cubic metre of piled up fire wood per day (fire is burning for about 12 hours). Not very efficient, but lots of fun :slight_smile:

The big one average on 2 tonnes of coal per 100 km, shoveled per hand by the fireman.

Yes, one day, the Land-Rover will drive on char gas.

3 Likes

I have to show this train to my daughter-in-law. She is from Karlsruhe and has family living there, still. TomC

4 Likes

Hi Til
Do you have more technical information about automatic temperature control devices in the oxidation zone?

Ok guys this is it. The new throtleing mechanism.

Dont know if it shows clear enough, but basicly once you step on the pedal, the woodgas throtle starts to open. Once its WOT, it will stay that way as the original throtle starts to open. This way l always get a perfect woodgas/air mix in and, if neaded to hybrid, a perfect petrol/air mix.
Thats the theory anyhow…

14 Likes

Ah! Ha! Tilman,
your wood to shaft power experience is now exposed.
The only practical differences in wood-to-steam-to-cyclinder-to-shaft versus wood-to-gasses-to-IC/engine-shaft power is the conversion efficiency percentage. Period.
Same metals killing core temperatures.

Sure. Sure. Details.
Steam consumes massive amounts of water. Woodgasifiacation “makes” water.
The steam set up will be larger, more massive for the same usable power.

Both start with wood.
End with ash.

Best regards
tree-farmer for fuel Steve unruh

3 Likes

Wow, that´s brilliant. A very neat setup! I like it a lot.
Does it affect 100% dino pedal travel? I mean, can you still go WOT on dino?

1 Like

It effects dino throtle in no way. You can see when the WG flap is WOT, and the lever starts to push on the dino throtle, there is a slot in the lower throtles lever in wich the pin slides while woodgas is WOT and dino is opening.

3 Likes

I watched twice looking for “MB” stamped on the linkage someplace. That had to be built at the MB factory. Wonderful workmanship. I took a class in “Mechanisms” and the design of that linkage would have surly gotten you an A+. TomC

4 Likes

Kristijan all I can say is Wow, and what Jan-Ola and Tom said. Beautiful workmanship, looks like factory, you will not have to pull that part off for your annual inspections.
Bob

Hi, Kristijan!

2 computers down since 7 of November, now fighting on W10 with Firefox, Chrome seems to work civilized…

It’s sad you hurt your “aiming” eye! How did it happen?

The add-on with Dino-mix is brilliantly configured!

Seems a feather pushes open (turns) the char-gas flap, when the vertical rod allows…

Where do you have room to make the fifty/fifty char-gas-mix?

And only Dino-mix?

Congratulations!

6 Likes

Hi Kristijan,
that’s indeed a very nice mechanism!

Unfortunatelly not. All I got is the sketch and the explanation I wrote in that posting.

Indeed. The little loco with a tender full of wood is about 15 tonnes and has about 70 hp. But steam horsepower can’t be compared directly with IC-engine horsepower. Much more torque.

5 Likes

while adoring kristijans handywork, I was thinking that a throttle position sensor might work for adjusting water flow to the reactor.

2 Likes

Glad to see a posting from you Max. We were starting to fear something physical or personal had happened. What do you mean ’ fighting on W10 with Firefox? TomC ( sorry, I tried to move this over to Max’s thread but the computer would not allow it. Sorry Max )

1 Like

Thanks guys.

Glad to hear you are ok Max!
Ha, funny you mentioned good aming, its the thing l feared the most to lose.
I got a squirt of a hot mix of sulferic acid and titanium ore in my eye. Was NOT pleasant.

Correct!

Not sure yet, will see. Got any idea how a vacuum automixer works with chargas? I mean the gas composition is slightly different thain woodgas, shuld it matter?

100% dino will require a manual valve to shut the woodgas/air mix off.

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!

Needless to say you do never approach any acid processes unprotected ANYMORE!
COMPLETE!
BASTA! Curved Whole-face plexiglass at least.

As long as you dispense water in some form, and more than can be cracked, you will have about the same percentage of H in the gas; meaning the same 50/50% applies as with wood-gas.

Perhaps a “3d stage” after the Dino flap is fully open: An extra “feather excused” (in the pedal wire) movement where the Dino flap remains fully open, but the char-gas flap is “released” to be “flop closed” by it’s own closing feather?

Happy Christmas!

5 Likes