Mike LaRosa .. Linden Wisconsin

Ouch. … Thanks for the update.

Thanks for update and we are wishing Mike L the best of luck with his new wheels, I dont like traveling long distance with out testing for gasket leaks,and replacing lower hidden hoses and any weak looking top hoses,at least.

2 Likes

Finally can maybe reply here ?? …
New engine is in caddy
I’m afraid to drive it. I have taken the old engine apart to see what might have happened. I have the heads sitting next to me.
We just had a foot of snow so things are back on hold not to mention the salt on the roads … I’m driving the 93 black truck with rotten frame.
Let’s see if this goes through.
Regards, Mike LaRosa

9 Likes

Yes Mike, we got the message :grin:

Glad to hear you are still kicking .

Sorry about the snow :confounded:

1 Like

A known good engine coupled to a known good trailer gas producer sound like a safe bet.

1 Like

Good to hear from you…

Hey MikeL, you old goat; good to see you back on. Can I go to sleep now? You’ll be the growl of practical instead of me? (spell check said to use piratical . . . .? pirate-like?) Any-hooo. Spell me man.

We are all just On The Road To Better
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Hi Steve… I have the engine almost completely apart now. I think a tensioner got loose and timing belt jumped on one camshaft … Total destruction … Engine was made by Opal, I think :o) Now I own an 8000 dollar caddy … Mike

2 Likes

Pretty much the whole car is opal

1 Like

Arvin, I can’t figure this java crap out … I’m 6d plus one :o) like roman numerals LXI if I recall right … oops … Correct me if I’m wrong … Thanks, M

Arvid, oops … your reply was 7 days ago … I no longer have the real internet and this is hostile . I just got the rear seal out of my blown engine … That thing went in under a second and gave no warning and made no sounds … All the gauges were reading normal … I’ll post a picture of the block tomorrow … Maybe I’ll save a piston and connecting rod but it was near a total … It would have happened on woodgas as well … Mike

1 Like

That is a big mess of mangled parts! I hope you can figure something useful out to prevent future occurrences.

Nice looking scrap pile…

Thanks for the calls J, I appreciate them. I didn’t get a vacation this summer / fall. It happened in less than a second with no warning. The gauges were still reading normal after it happened but I was busy reacting to no steering or brakes … I hopefully will get back to Herb’s again and take him and his wife out to dinner. M

4 Likes

simple, don’t have an engine with double overhead cam and a timing BELT !! Belt was in good shape but a tensioner let loose … One of 4 camshafts jumped time and that was it … It’s a complicated engine . I’m still taking it apart but I don’t feel like dragging out 100 feet of air hose today. Hammer on breaker bar wasn’t enough … stuff happens … M

2 Likes

Advice too late MikeL!!
Last two the wife’s insisted buying have been combo belt/chain driven DOHC V-6’s.
I did keep her two back vehicle as long as possible: a nice simple single cam-in-block pushrod V-6 going for 17 years 220,000 miles. Only got rid of it cause of paint de-lamination, falling headliner, works now//works not insrument cluster, failing door locks, now Two horizontal traveling windshield cracks . . . . well you know this picture.
So . . . yeah . . . I’m now driving her set aside now “only” eight year old, 200,000 mile both belt/chain DOHC V-6. Ha! Given to me just in time for it’s 2nd needed T-belt replacement. Scary noisy if I don’t keep it at least once week driven to keep retained oil up in it’s intercam oil driven chains tensioners (two of these).
Wadda’ do? Go 'till 'ya blow. “But Honey; you can fix it” Yeah. Right. Not. This Hyundai blows and it is total loss scrap out. And I cheerfully go back onto the nice simple 23 year old pushrod Ford V-8 pickup full time.

MikeL all of the last ten year+ made pickups have oil driven timing drive tensioners and oil driven cam timing phasers. Back-to-the-Future, built-in obsolescence. All the new vehicle buying market cares about anymore is having the newest, latest, gee-whizz’s. The money men more than happy to help them with a new tech fix every 3-5 years. Personal electronics worse - on an 18 month we-re-fix-you-up “cheap” addictive cycle.

We are All Just On the Road to Better (and that means going back to basics - insisting that those basics ARE basic and not addict-a-chip dependent crippled)
Steve Unruh

2 Likes

Got my old 9N Ford tractor running. Found the valve lifters were too tight, so I bought a “special tool”, and adjusted them. Put your ear down by the engine and what a sweet sound of that light tick tick ticking. I’s forgotten what a sweet sound that is.TomC.

7 Likes

Hi Steve & Tom … My brother always says we are nothing but big apes with thumbs and car keys … Hope you both are well … We just had over 3 inches of rain. I’m glad it wasn’t snow :o) Mike

2 Likes

Yeah Mike we had a lot of rain to, first thing I heard was “there’s water in the basement again”

Tom I like that solid lifter sound too, I put solid lifters in my 429 model A engine with a roller camshaft just because I wanted to hear that beautiful sound! I’m curious why your lifters in your 8N would have gotten tight! They usually loosen up! Herb

2 Likes