Mike LaRosa .. Linden Wisconsin

Hi Sean and Wayne, Transmission blew in the Cav today and Sue got her first lesson in driving a vehicle in tow. Of course she drove over the chain while we were hanging the U turn on the state highway and we had to stop while she was across the road and I had to re-route the chain so we could get rolling again. Of course she had it in park to begin with and I had to holler back at her to put it in neutral even though that was the first thing I told her. Fun Fun … Otherwise we pulled it back into the trailer slab and I will drop the pan this weekend and see what might be up. It doesn’t smell like it burned at all. There is a slim possibility that the screen is plugged. It ran perfect all day.
Back to Sean’s question. I don’t do much driving. Most of my driving is in my survey truck and that is probably around 150 miles a week, max. That is gasoline only. I usually drive to town once or twice a week and that means 18 or 24 miles round trip depending which town I go to. I like to drive to a local lake with it and that is around the same. I try to do most of these trips on woodgas. I looked at my pictures and see I moved the trailer over to the cavalier in June after the Argos trip and not March. I had the trailer hooked to the truck for the Argos trip. It did fine. I really don’t know as I don’t have a written log in the Cavalier but my guess is I’ve put 500 or so wood miles on it. That isn’t much compared to you young folks :o) but that is probably it. I noticed the bumper was starting to fall off the car a month or better ago so I had to add some threaded rod etc in there to hold it in place. I welded that to the latch plate as I could not drill through that hardened metal. Bottom line by me is that I KNOW that I can run an OBD2 car now and in some ways they do better than the OBD1 cars. I’m looking for a small pickup to work with. One with a stick and not rotten … I like the 2.2 liter GM motors.
Back to wifey … Mike

Hello Mike,

You wanted me to be on the lookout for you a truck and mention the dakotas where too low to the ground and snow might knock the bottom out.

Take a look at this truck that Pierre Gelinas put up on “deals on wheels”

Looks like the entire gasafier can be mounted under the bed.

http://localcarsale.net/?forsale=Dodge%20Ram%202500%20V10%204x4%20Monste

Several years back I put new tires on my log skidder for about $8,000 and I think it would cost twice that now . The tires are near the size on this truck.

It also has the viper motor over 500 HP.

If you don’t want it I will buy it.

BBB

Ha Ha … Actually the problem here is they (Dakotas) rot too fast … They are thin skinned … They were also famous for the front ball joints popping out of them. That monster truck looks like it would be fun till it rolls over … ML

Mr. Wayne,
If you buy that and gasify it you will never get to drive it anyway as I think your son will be in it all the time. I think the price listed on that must be wrong. Only 3,000? I think that is suppose to say 30k, maybe?
David S

Just thought I would update my blog here. It is the spring thaw and I am trying to do internet through around 10 miles of copper cable that are under water and in thawing frost. I got my gasoline dribble control on my new truck today. I just have to get the pipe underneath it to hook if fully up. Too muddy and icy yet to do that. I am still coughing up stuff from my recent bout with pneumonia so won’t lay in that slop. I uploaded a few pictures to my site today. The FTP program I use can handle some interruptions and then recovers. Here are the links. I hope Chris will catch up with them and transfer them to this blog as I can not upload pictures on this site. Keep on building !!!

Hey MikeL
Looks like it’s finally getting onto robin time for you.
Take a look at what Jim Winters is trying on his Ford F-150 5.0L to be SEFI dry intake manifolds washing. He added a push button top feed gasoline fuel injector into his mixer tubing. Later Jeep 4.0L’s commonly have these types long thin return-less “pencil” of top feed fuel injectors.

Click onto “Last Post” quickly and scroll back up to save time and see his pictures.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hi Steve, I’ll check it out later … I don’t know if you or Chris uploaded the pictures but thanks to whoever did. The truck has a shell on it now and I have the corresponding back ache … North slopes still have ice and snow on them and a couple of feet of frost but south slopes are thawed and draining … Robins are in full force and mating … I think all the female squirrels are already knocked up … They stopped that ritual last week. I just need to add a few PVC fittings and get the flex pipe off the cavalier and move it over … Then zoom zoom again … The gas will go in where the tin can is right now and go around the fan shroud and then near straight back … I think Jonathan S added an injector on his motor home but I’m not sure. He sold that whole setup. The toyota 22RE has a cold starting injector that could be used ??? One day at a time … Mike L

Howdy Mike,
Good lookin ride!
Lots of miles left on it.
Good to see ya on another build, What engine is that?
You’ll be SWEMing in that one soon :slight_smile:
TerryL

Terry, It’s a 2.2 liter … MY 97 cavalier with a 2.2 ran so good with my trailer I decided to do it again. This engine spins donuts around the cavalier. Guess we’ll see in a few days how it all works … Wish me luck of course. I have about 2 grand invested in the truck. I scratched the heck out of the paint putting the shell on it yesterday … Must have been some sand or small rocks stuck to the shell. Shell is to keep wood dry and hidden from porky and provide a place to sleep … Mike

Excellent.
Gotta like the trailer setup, makes for quick conversion.
Keep them pics coming.
TerryL

Got the pipework underneath today. Just need to add around 3, 2" PVC fittings and a short piece of pipe. I’m not sure what I have in my shed. The ice is still too thick to get the door open. I can’t upload pics here but here are the links. Hopefully Chris will catch up with them and get them on here like last time. Thanks, ML

Looks like you are about ready to roll Mike. That is a good looking S-10. I don’t see any rust.

Carl, There is a pile of rust. One of the past owners took time and money to putty it and paint it. I scraped a bunch of paint off the bed sides just putting the shell on so it is a poor Earl Scheib job as we used to say. I smell a little coolant under the hood so it may have the traditional 2.2 liter head gasket leak. Might be the water pump ?? I think I will just play the radio loud and add fluids as needed … Some of the brake lines and a fuel line have been replaced. The front ones were pretty rusty so I washed them off and after they dried I put 3 coats of paint on them. The gasoline fill tube has a lot of electrical tape on it. I keep a diagnostic tool in it to reset the codes. It will be interesting to see what it does after an hour or so with the fuel pump turned off … Hopefully that will be in the next few days but I have a pile of work lined up and it is thawing. I hope to put a few hundred wood miles on it before Argos. It is pulling the trailer about the same as the cavalier did but I know I have a truck frame to work with this time … Thanks to whoever uploaded the pictures for me … ML

Hi Mike
I’m starting to build a gassifier looks like using a trailer might be the way to go then you can just plug and play anyone of your vehicles
You want to drive that day lol
You have a very nice looking S-10 how fast can you drive with the 2.2 motor?
Hope you are feeling better sounds like you have kicked that phenomenon thing

Hey Mike,
Lookin good on that build. Your fortunate you can see dirt, still too much snoooow up here. Talked to your bud Dave last Saturday, checking up on his build. If all goes well I might go to Milwaukee to get truck on Saturday. If it’s still there.

Wes

Loyd, I haven’t driven this truck on wood yet. My 97 cavalier with a 2.2 had no trouble doing 65 or 70 on the flat with the trailer. I only had to pull one fuse and wire in my switch to convert it along with the mixing valve of course. I will report when I finally get to break it in. This truck has a completely different computer and injection system. I may have to track down more wires and add more switches but I won’t know until I get it swapped over and see how it runs. That’s part of the fun … ML

Hi, New truck is ready to rock and roll. I hope Chris will catch this and upload the pictures as I can’t. Here’s the current links on my site as long as it lasts.

I was actually able to sneak a sling trap in on this one but didn’t on the cavalier.
At any rate, as this is my blog, The Chinese had one of the world’s largest navies around 5000 years ago. Unfortunately an asteroid hit north of Australia and wiped out their navy. They have gone out of their way to destroy records of all of this. Sure some folks came across the Bering Straight but many remnant tribes here are part Chinese just as the Iroquois were part Viking … At any rate, if we default or whatever it will be periscopes up soon. Go to your local store and try to buy some 22 rim fire ammo … The (our) gummit has bought it all and before you will be able to buy any more you will have to prove you are a saint and be in the registry to get any if it ever comes back. Can’t reload that stuff. Got set up decades ago … Conserve what you have and burn wood !!!
KISS, Mike L

Hi MikeL.
Your intergate pictures load up with fine resolution.
Good to see you still have a nice accessible fuel rail test port on this one that could be used for “other” purposes.
Hey man. You the one with a chemical education. Think some real wood charcoal. Piss and such. And a “new” cap and ball reproduction. Just one more step back from a rimfire. Five in hand and then reloadable too.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Hi Steve U, I have ball and cap as well as stuff to reload the other stuff but I think the gummit KNOWS that if the average person with a 22 can’t buy ammo that they have put the kabosh to it. The 22 was usually a shoot for fun gun. I have eaten many rabbits and squirrels over the years shot by one but I also have had several for personal and family protection. I don’t even know if 25 cal are rim or center fire. The wall was full of center fire stuff and shotgun shells. Yes, piss and a leaf pile, sulfur, and charcoal … I have enough sulfur here for anybody that wants some. I’ll trade for 2" wood chunks … :o) … I hope Chris KY will upload the latest 3 pics … I’ll be running tests and doing repairs the next few weeks and get caught up in Argos … It’s one of the few FUN things I get to do … I’m glad I have been well enough to work on it this much. Last year was Argos, IN and the year before was south of Pittsburgh Kansas west of Joplin, MO right after the tornado and the year before that was Akron Michigan and the year before that was Calumet Michigan. Before that it was just Wayne at my house in 2007. I think we had the first woodgas gathering in the USA … :o) … Mike L

Hi MikeL
Gotta say, I’m liking the trailer idea.
Interested in how the truck works out for you.
I’m not having much luck acquiring a Dakota.
Keep on SWEMing!
TerryL