Also luckily with the wide range this gasifier seems to run as far as engine size, it gives me room for engine upgrades. Might find a bigger 500cc Briggs engine down the road, never know.
Finally getting some more traction. I have the car rim welded on, I’ll add a condensate gutter there and then the 20 gallon drum. I’ll probably use Joni’s venturi ejection system with this.
I think if I mount this on the mini truck I will weld on some angle iron to the body of the reactor and either bolt or weld this down sidesaddle to the bed, and have the filter on the opposite side doing the same for counterbalance. I’d like to have two rows of buggy seats but I might just have my drivers seat up front and put in a spot for wood storage. Think 1911 REO Model H but with the WW2 truck gasifiers mounting.
This is just a pleasure build at this point.
Since I’ll be using mower/tractor style tensioner clutch I’ll just go full tractor controls with a throttle lever. Odds are with that Peerless Tecumseh 3 speed I won’t be able to shift on the move so the final test will be making sure I can pull away in 3rd gear.
I might keep myself on the lookout for a more modern mower transaxle and then slave sprockets to the rear wheels. Would let me have solid mounted engine and transmission and have differential to the wheels. I’m also alternatively looking out for a rear axle from a small car. Would be hard to find a 4 lug rear axle in just the right length so I’m not holding my breath for that.
Thinking of placing my gutter right there. Nothing fancy just some cut to size barrel material or whatever I might already have that’ll fit and weld it into place. I’ll use a 3/8" pipe as my water outlet since it’ll be ejected out. I think the ejection will really help with any fuels I put in. Hopefully I can do the gutter tomorrow morning, go to the hardware store and weld in the outlet and maybe add the hopper and check for leaks.
It is a good thing I am not in a race with the building of gasifers with Marcus, JO, Kristijan and you Cody, I would lose. But hey it is a win, win, win, win, anyways for all of us in the end when finished building. We will all have the SWEM on our faces that only lemons can remove. JO has probably gone though a bag of lemons by now driving his Volvo.
Made sure the car rim was sealed up. It only had a few beads so I just closed the gaps with weld to be extra sure.
Cody, you might like this link.
I love horseless carriages and quadricycles. I might build a Ford Quadricycle facsimile in the future.
After giving it careful thought in regards to money and timeframe I think I will just go hard-tail with this Trucktor. Front end has springs and I’ll have a buggy seat so that will also be sprung. Will let the gasifier keep good and vibrated on the turf and tarmac.
Hopper is welded on. I’ll be making a gutter later, something I can tap into place and tack weld. Maybe an upper gutter or line the whole hopper area with a narrow gutter with smoke holes for circulation.
Here she is rightside up. That aluminum pot is just my stand for it right now since it lacks legs.
Also excuse the mess of my shop but here’s the rolling frame of the Trucktor. I’ll probably mount the gasifier on the Drinker’s side and my filter on the Captain’s side. Steve Bowman gave me what used to be the tub for a transformer and it has locking tabs, I think with a gasket made it’ll make a decent filter.
That Diesel will be saved for something else.
For my cooler I’ll just make one big headache board behind my wood storage. I forgot to sign up for Chipdrop but I’m hoping someone will be more than happy to deliver some to me. Sun Dry that and I should have the ideal fuel.
Leak tested, only 4 small leaks! I’ll take that as a victory. Used a pusher blower and drizzled soapy water around. Welded over anywhere I found bubbles.
I did as Kristijan advised and layered the grate with big pieces of char, then I filled the propane tank level with engine grade sized char. I put more big charcoal up over that layer and some small brands that didn’t char all the way.
I’m going to add one gallon worth of wood pellets on top of that and see how it does. Don’t want any more than that. This stuff claims it has a low ash content so we will see.
Doing a test, it’s about 10 minutes in. Using an 8 foot length of conduit with my bilge blower at the end. It flares blue but it foops back into the pipe. Does that mean I’m pulling too hard?
Used a mattress blower to push air and it flared well. Orange flame with a bluish purple base. Shut it down for the day. I’m hoping the engine can pull hard enough to move that brass flapper valve. Bilge blower hardly nudged it.
Here’s a Youtube Shorts link to the pusher blower flare. I’m making a new youtube channel just for my projects on the insistence of my friends.
I have the carburetor adapter put on. This was made by a company that makes performance parts for Hondas and Honda clones. The bolt distance is just close enough to a Predator 212 that it fits. I’ll use a rubber coupler to attach my ball valve throttle.
I hope that with the governor being bypassed I won’t tear anything up. I need to keep the governor in for oil slinging purposes.
Cut the motor plate from the DOA Snapper mower. I’ll weld that to the frame for the Briggs engine.
Got the plate welded in and engine mounted. What luck the oil drain also has easy access too!
The guy that had this Snapper before me didn’t use the right bolts for mounting. Instead of coarse 3/8" bolts they used whatever 5/16" bolts they had laying around. Thank God the aluminum threads on the block weren’t goobered up.