Missouri s-80 plans

Totally right about that.

Unfortunate that the designer doesnot reach out. But since it is developped long time ago, I can understand. In my google journey it appears that only the missouri design is somewhat capable of gasifying sawdust.

Like all newbees, i want to start right away and as fast as possible. Sorry for that. First reading for the next few months. Not afraid to get my hands dirty or to do something. But I am not a fighter. If it is a daily fight to get things done, it won t make me happy.

2 Likes

For a real live business it might make more sense to find a market for your waste and take that income to purchase fuel.

I know of a logger that received a contract to produce pulp wood. He had a nice skidder and a log truck. He decided, because of the long skid, to convert his skidder into a forwarder. By the time he finished this project he lost his contract because of not delivering logs. The logger went broke and the bank reposed his nice skidder turned cobbed up forwarder.

2 Likes

Yes, you never know what happens. Some more background info on my situation. We build dust extraction systems for the woodindustry. That is my thing in this life, not looking for another business. Maybe a little hobby that can save some money. Last summer we build a complex hopper/bunker system after one of our filtersystems for a client. Extra bunker on briq press, a bunker in between filter and press to shave of the peaks in sawdustdelivery. This is functioning very nice and hassle free. That, and the wintertime (pv-panels is not delivering anything now), set me on the path of a chp again. Tried vegi oil and things, but that make you depend on other supply. In case of lack of sawdust, we can plant fastgrowing trees on our land. That gives a good feeling.

And for the record. Companies get paid here for their sawdust. 20 years ago they had to pay 250 euro for a 20 ft container. Nowadays they get 250 euro. For one container a month that makes a nice difference. It is burned in the energy plants now. But what the heck, i can do that too! ( not really at the moment)

We will see if it ever comes to a sawdust gasifier. More than nice library DOW. Thanks.

4 Likes

I posted my plans on the other thread

1 Like

Good. Good, JoepK you have the base back ground and are doing the reading.
Just as important the asking-for-more info.
Ray Rislers Missouri series of SAWDUST gasifiers are real. Proven. And are used to fuel real internal combustion engines for usable power.

An Alaskan sawmiller needing engine power did this with specific sized round chamber raw compressed sawdust “fuel-cartridges”. The sawdust was compressed around a removable central core. Like an angle-food cake. A Bunt cake form. Then he gasifed down and out through this central formed “burn” hollow. Works too. I saw hundreds running hours video evidence.
His real gasworks was in his then needed particulate catching system. Gas cooler. Gas final filtering.
Points! He was not after perrr-fect fuel gas. Measured by other standards. He only needed to fuel-for-power with his existing engine/generator.

Larry Dobson’s 1970’s and 1980’s systems were for raw mill sawdust. Heating systems. He has yet to prove the ability to change over to engine fueling capable systems.

The DriZzler system guys use sawdust in a very unique shallow bed system. They claim engine running capability . . . . still, no long term use results under real worked variable conditions.

So man, go with the proven, always for real results.

Proof-points of this approach.
VesaM. in Finland purpose designs his DIY buildable vehicle mobile gasification for use with peat-sod fuel.
This is available commercially in all of those low-lands counties Finland, the Baltics, Shetland Is, parts of Northers Scotland and Ireland. Literally many living rural can on their own go out and peat" harvest.
His peat-fuel problem was fuel-sod chunk actual stone-rocks. The peat itself forming ash fusing clinker chunks. So Me Vesa an actual trained working Engineer had to make his grate system super robust with a breaker-sweeper arm.
His system then when ran with actually wood chunks operated easily. NOT DESIGNED for sawdust fuel.
But Finland like many of these same counties also do have DIN/EU spec (larger that US) heating fuel pellets sold and available.
So, Mr Vesa DID purpose design a different system to vehicle fuel with these.
Has an so-so familiar outer jets ring. With an up from center wasps shaped center jet assembly. These air jets do oppose. This is so he can get his wanted across the dense pellet stack air penetration with enough active area to produce engine gas volume to be fuel engine as well as his peat and woodgas system.
Proven to work.

So anyone napkin noodling, or middle of the night brainacing thinking they can improve the real results of a years-in-refining actual using work-proving designer is . . . .
WHAT!?
You fill in your own loo-loo name.

Say it.
Do it.
Use proof it.

RayR. did.
The Mother earth news developer designers did.
VessaM did.
WayneK. did.
Dutch john did.
Johan Lenlel did.
S-E Werner did.
How many other actually have? Not many.

Prior: Mr Imbert did.
The French Gohein-Polech folks did.

O.K. How many other really have, eh?
Not very many.

Again. Go with the Real.

No apologies.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Thx. More to read then. The Missouri is proven to work very nice I think. Will take a look at the rest you mention. Thanks.
Certainly not smarter then another. Rather buy then build. Lot s of time saved.

3 Likes

The Simple Fire Charcoalgasifer is one of the easiest to build. No kit needed. Check out what Gary Gilmore has come up with in this type of build. Search out Simple Fire Charcoalgasifer.
Bob

4 Likes

O.K. Wood-pellet fuel gasifiacation for engines?
Here.
M.Sc Vesa Mikkonen’s book “WOOD GAS FOR MOBILE aPPLICATIONS”
Mine is a 2010 version.
Page 163 PRINCIPALS OF PELLET GASIFICATION (for IC engines fuel gas)
This goes for five full format pages of principals, experimental trial systems with features then found to be needed for incorporated into the rear of book detailed out blue-printed plan-set for a complete trailer mounted EU-spec woodpellet vehicle system.
I will quote one picture caption, “The maximum continuous effect of of this (pictured) test gasifier is about 60 kW (thermal) based on fuel power, which means the gasifier could be used to feed about 10 kW (mechanical IC) engine. The Minimum power is about 30 kW to produce clean gas out. When the flow rate is high, some particles (also pictured) then to escape with the gas.” end quote.
The sub-specialized for EU-spec woodfuel pellet hearth build fully dimensioned out plans are on pages 224 & 225. Sized and proofed for 2-4 liter (122-250 DID) displacement modern multi-cylinder engines.
In 2010 Vesa’s personaly bound and signed CONFIDNETIAL NO COPIES book cost me 180 Euro’s.
He updated annually as he use-exprences more. Prints up by confirmed pre-paid order only.

And he; like RayR does not Internet jabber spew with do-nothings either. Read his presentations. Build-use exactly, for results. “Experiment” on your own lifeline hours

Then there is the POWER HEARTH slit-throat systems.
They claim to be able to gasify near anything combustible that can be fuel-block compressed made.
Yeah I have a lot of confidential information on their attempts with that too. Three completely diffnet large scale commercial attempts with three completely sets of input fuels driven problems. Sugar cane baggasie; ground up books and magazines; municipal solid waste.
Ain’t talking about this as what was shown me was C-O-N-F-I-D-N-T-I-A-L.
But especially ain’t talking promoting PowerHearth as that system type is no-way a Do-It-Yourself.

I am all do-it-yourself; for yourself; and for those who you could realistically support.
So was Mike LaRosa.
So had been Max gasman’s inputs helping.

Dependency on commercially made fuel woodpellets made 3 family households go cold, cold, cold by the winter of 2009/10 after the U.S.A. 2007/08 housing market meltdown.
No financing. No need for build-housing wood products. The wood mills mostly all shut down. Easy, cheap sawdust dryed up. The commercial fuel wood pellet supplier were forced then to re-equip for whole log grinding for their make-pellets stocks.
Fuel wood pellets here became sellers jacked up 3X priced. WHEN you could per-advance pay order get them.
Just like the US fall of 74, and later 1980’s gasoline/diesel fuels jacking around.

Dependencies suck.
Your own woodlot, able to wood-made-power frees you from the jack-off’s.
If I had feild of peat sod I go that route.
If I was middle of American SW sun-land I’d go that route.
Nope. Got trees and brush.
Got fueling FREEDOM.

I do not apologize for this well learned now over many-times nose-rubbed decades learned attitude.
Steve unruh

6 Likes

That is great for those in that circumstance. Me I dont have the time, energy, space, or a source. So I happily buy my fuel. been doing wood all my life I hate it. Id rather put my labor somewhere else and purchase the fuel. So for a number of reasons I have gone the pellet way, the tech is simply better for one and fuel standard is a must for a manufacture. With out the users fail and continue to fail. I know this but will keep to myself in respect to those who would be effected.

My ultimate goal would be to create a system where is zero fuel prep other than cut / split fire wood. Will I ever achieve this, we will see, many more baby steps to take before I get there me thinks.

2 Likes

Thanks Mr Steve. It is about time that I send Dutch John an email. Ik believe that is one of the two bibles when it comes to woodgas.

2 Likes

Sorry. I mean the book of Vesa Mikonen. The other one is for download in the library here on dow, i think. Just read the swedish gengas book once. It will take a few times before it stays in my small head.
I am pretty sure DJ has the book of Vega. Mail to Finland didnot help.
Thanks for pointing in the right direction. You are right, it is a journey you have to take/ make by yourself.

4 Likes

How’d you go with your sawdust gasifier @Pelletpower ?

Here’s an S-80 unit on the side of a tractor I stumbled across .

Enjoy

Shrappy :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks, nothing yet. Still in my mind. Reading here in the library, WK design and Ben’s book. I light my boiler for the house with sawdust now. Just small sticks so the sawdust doesnt fall threw the restriction. Man, that is fast! It is only minutes to get it started.

Sawdust is available for free in bulk for me, but first charcoal. I have a retort a la Gary Gilmore. Works great. And if I follow that track and I have made some real kWh, then the sawdust. First walk, then ride

Thanks. I would love to hear more about sawdust gasifiers.
If the Missouriplans and a WK are connected it might work. Details are so important. With no experience you are looking in the wrong direction.

5 Likes

Did I see Wayne’s old Ford in the background with what looks like some new cooling rails?!!

6 Likes

Yes Tom . The old ford handles its age very well :blush:

7 Likes