Motorcycles with gasifiers

By the way this particular gasifier is made for a 500cc engine or smaller.

1 Like

mike, i agree more with göran , the lid of the box seems not to be waterproof, when driving with rain, water can enter a bit, and the warm and dry coal is not more dry than…
because of the swedish law göran told us, i think it is really a box for the cleanout ash…
ciao giorgio

5 Likes

Hi, a little more from 1942 years rules,
Every gasified vehicle should bring its own ash-box.
Ashbox should be made of fireproof material.
Ashbox should have a closing lid.
Opening in ashbox should be as wide, or wider than gasifiers clean-out port.
Ashbox should be minimum 5 inches deep.
Ashbox should be tightly secured at the outside of the vehicle, if possibly.
This is freely translated from old swedish regulations paper. :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

Here is pic from an old (1942) car parts and workshop equipment catalogue.
“Askhink” means ashbucket.

11 Likes

Goran,
You have lots of interesting stuff to share. Please keep it coming.

11 Likes

Thank you Steve, I promise, there are more to come :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The value of the US dollar is one twentieth of what it was in 1940. What would 12.50 Krona be today? I doubt if something like that ash can would have cost more than a dollar here in 1940.

2 Likes

here a topic from one not unknown in this forum…i guess he doesnt let the yamaha unconverted for 25 years in the barn :wink: :wink:…but it is never too late…

10 Likes

Still have that moped! My son wants to become a mechanic and we will be giving it a new life this year :grin: hopefully.

13 Likes

Swedish ad from 1940. Malte Blohm gasifier.

7 Likes

I wish I had the FU money to buy one of these and put a charcoal unit on it. The Janus Halcyon 450. Uses a Honda style single cylinder engine.

They cost a lot for their size but they are made in the USA and have a lot of good engineering in the frame. Leading link forks like the BMW Airhead and Ural motorcycles. 3000 dollar deposit and when the bike is finished you pay the rest. Pretty steep. I’d probably have an easier time finding a junky carbureted cruiser with a single cylinder.

2 Likes

Can’t see it Cory. Looks about like a late 1940’s Matchless.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=1949+matchless+500
Of course they were out my my price range even back in the day. I did own one of these for a a summer in 1968. It was fun and no end to the low end torque but I was a drag racer and enduro was not my thing so I sold it. If I had a time machine I’d go back and keep that thing.
https://youtu.be/HX_fxDnthOk

4 Likes

Another motorcycle project I’ve wanted to do is buy a street legal dirt bike and body mod it to look like an old Scrambler bike. Get rid of all the plastic garbage and replace the seat.

2 Likes

When I was young I maybe spent as much time on a bike as I did in bed. Always four strokes. Couldn’t stand the sound of a 2 stroke. When I got older a friend of mine came over with a Yamaha 360 Enduro. “Ok if I take a ride?” I asked. " You sure you can handle it?" I used to ride an eleven second Sportster on the street. Just about crapped myself when that thing hit it’s power band.

5 Likes

I just don’t like the mess of a 2 stroke. I’ve built a few of the bike engine kits with the 2 stroke engines, but I only kept one. Other I gave to a friend because he’s always wanted one.

But I think a 450cc Enduro would be fun to have. Cruisers are great but I have a Yamaha 1100 V Star if I wanna go cruising. I need something for the rough terrain on my property incase I need a fast response.

4 Likes

Just some BS; Back when I was riding a Honda 750, I worked for Caroll Shelby. He was an “idea man” and at that time he was on a turbo charge kick. VW diesel Rabbits was his main program, but while he was at it he had his crew build a Honda 750 dresser with a turbo. I took it for a ride. I almost had a bowl movement when I shifted from first to second. I looked down and the front wheel was about a foot off the ground. TomC

7 Likes

My dad had a CB750 that he said had kitted out to a 1050, I guess they had bore kits?

He also had a turbocharged Sportster, he had it when I was little, said when he would hit the On Ramp to the interstate and crack the whip coming into the far left lane almost sideways. Eventually sold it because he didn’t want to press his luck and leave mom a Widow. He’s had a lot of close calls on bikes but he also raced flat track so I guess he just knew how to get out of a hairy situation.

6 Likes

hello göran, have you an idea what diameter has the sperco gasifier?
i have seen you work on a motorcycle actually!!!
ciao giorgio

1 Like

hqdefault
83f38e84c55afd22bf34ece0ea316496--moto-guzzi-ercole

6 Likes

Giorgio I believe that motorcycle gasifier from the first video is a Pederick Australian gasifier. Or maybe a copy that used elements from it.

6 Likes