Motorcycles with gasifiers

Hi Giorgio, sorry to say i have no dimensions on the Sperco, just by comparing from pic’s i’ll guess around 180mm outside diameter. I really want to find a Sperco gasifier or some drawings of one, anyway there is a car museum not long from where i live, they got a light-weight motorcycle with Sperco gasifier on display, im going to visit this summer and sneak a tape measure with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pic’s from Sperco user manual, from magazine.

Bonus-picture, winner of Gothenburg’s first woodgas race 1940.
Henry Karlsson, Winner of class: charcoal, side-car motorcycles.
Harley Davidson with MB gasifier (Malte Blohm, engineer)

12 Likes

thanks göran for answer and nice historic fotos…we are also lovers of gasifying history, all fotos and history in this thread, please, so all is compact collected and easy to find!!
ciao giorgio

4 Likes

cody, thanks for the film also, i have it seen once, but not could find more…nice you have had it behind…if you have more material here is a good place for it
ciao giorgio

3 Likes

Found some more, Swedish 98cc lightweight motorcycle with homemade gasifier.

12 Likes

7 Likes

http://zhumoristenouveau.eklablog.com/l-album-de-famille-des-francais-1940-1970-4-a118093042
191-1-scaled-e1609697795431-672x372
image022

11 Likes

http://agbib.fr/monteux/page8.html

6 Likes

Very good material! Thank you Giorgio! :smile:
Edit: That very first link is a treasure trove, and many browsers will translate from French to English (or?) your preference.

4 Likes

8 Likes

Found some pictures :slightly_smiling_face:
In 1987 the man on the pic’s wanted to attend a nostalgic motorcycle run on woodgas, he managed to borrow and get help from the old man that originally built the gasifier on the pic’s: master blacksmith Gottfrid S.

Norton, during the war the gasifier was mounted on a Sarolea.

Please notice the blower mounted on a hinge on the air intake, clever solution i think?

Gas/air mixer and carburetor.

This Norton on charcoal was capable of 80-85 km/h.
The Sarolea during war was capable of: “faster than the cop’s” due to the constructors saying.

17 Likes

The person riding on the back seat would sure keep their butt warm. I just had to say that, because I know Tom was going to. Simle.

14 Likes

11 Likes

13 Likes

Ive seen those balloon storage bags like in one of the last pictures posted, were those notoriously a safety hazard?

4 Likes

My dad had a gas filled balloon on one of his old cars , i don’t remember him ever telling stories of Kaboom to us kids but maybe people were a lot more carful throwing the ciggy buts out the windows .
PS we lived in the UK
Dave

14 Likes

Some pic’s

Light-weight motorcycle with Sperco gasifier.

Light-weight motorcycle with calcium-carbide acetylene generator.

Principal drawing of the acetylene gas generator.

12 Likes