Mr. Icyball & Friends

Here is a bit about zeolite absorbant and water.

2 Likes

Cool, lets build a fridge on a charcoal gasifierā€¦

2 Likes

Ok Iā€™m really writing to clarify it in my headā€¦ two tanks one with zeolite one with water connected by a tube (with a valve I like that part of the homemade one). A vacuum pump extract the air until the water starts boiling due to lack of pressure. Tanks are sealed and it becomes a closed system. Zeolite absorbs the vapor causing more water to boil off to keep balance. It takes energy to boil water so it sucks it from the tank and itā€™s surroundings. Reaction proceeds until the zeolite is saturated. Any remaining water is bloody cold. To recharge Apply heat to the zeolite side and the water evaporates from it and the pressure makes it condense as water in the other tank.
Is that close to what we are talking about?

4 Likes

Nearly perfect explainedā€¦ damn, i love scienceā€¦

1 Like

So, why not replace the zeolite with activated charcoal? Maybe charcoal doesnā€™t absorb water but it will absorb methanol.

The reason Iā€™m interested is because my old style charcoal gasifier gas cooler seemed to get cooler at the end than ambient and it has soot or chardust and moisture in it. I showed this to a few people at Argos 2015.

2 Likes

The sole contradiction, which i am working on to understand, is: Making the zeolite regenerate requires heat = stopping the cooling effect of the waterā€¦ ergo, stop applying heat and it will coolā€¦

In contradiction towards the old amonia fridges, running on kerosine, add fire will cool moreā€¦

Butā€¦ i like your idea of activated charcoal and methanol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, I think itā€™s a bit like body sweat and energy balance between the balls and going back and forth.

Letā€™s start with wet zeolite ball. Dang, how to get the water out of the zeolite. Letā€™s add heat and evaporate/boil it out of there. Now that in itā€™s self might have a cooling effect on the fire but we do not notice it. Vapors go into the cool ball where they condense. Now the device is charged. Now the zeolite is dry and starts to absorb moisture so the cool side is evaporating like body sweat and cooling the cool ball.

2 Likes

Some technical dataā€¦

There must be other ways to do this.
that just zeolite silica gel and water.

http://ptp.irb.hr/upload/mape/kuca/26_Siegfried_Kreussler_EXPERIMENTS_ON_SOLAR_ADSORPTION_REFRIG.pdf

Here is another interesting link.

What I do not understand in the second is how that system regenerates.
In a propane fridge you use a carrier fluid to move the ammonia around the ( hydrogen I think ).
So that is a continues process of cooling and regeneration.
How do these fridges work?
Do you have to take them apart and regenerate?
Is this a continuous loop and I just donā€™t see it ? ( see fig 6 )

http://www.bine.info/fileadmin/content/Publikationen/Englische_Infos/projekt_1610_engl_internetx.pdf

Never mind I get it now lol

Interesting subjectā€¦
It would be fun to play with .

2 Likes

Iā€™m still sick but this ainā€™t.

At least I have Sunday offā€¦

8 Likes

Where do I sign up? That is just so peaceful.

6 Likes

My contribution to the charcoal discussion. ( and one of my favorite places to visit ) Before Mr. Wayne headed for Death Valley, I tried to get in touch and recommend he might pick up some charcoal here. This article doesnā€™t say but you can read more; the kilns were about 30 ft high and 25 ft in did. and produced 2,000 bushels of charcoal with each batch.

5 Likes

Just an evaporation cooler but it does use charcoal. I think my area is too humid for it to work.

3 Likes

Very interesting. Here in the south, relatively high humidity, all chicken houses are cooled by water evaporation. A 40 x 400ā€™ house with 20,000 + chickens is very comfortable, but a little bit smelly. :grinning:

3 Likes