My first small engine run

Hi Pepe,
Nice work ! You have that engine purring really nice.
Thanks for the inspiration to get a motor running !

Good morning Pepe,

If you think you are hooked now just wait until you are out on a long trip and the only reason you stop at gas station is your wife made you!

SWEM (smile with every mile)
BBB (burn baby burn)
HWWT (have wood will travel)

Chris, Thanks for the atta boy and you know the trailer thought crossed my mind. However, sometimes crossing oneā€™s mind is a short trip, lol.
Youā€™re also right about the pic size. I thought it was odd that all I saw from my outdoor scene was a very small section of it, maybe a few letters I wrote on the tank. Iā€™m using my wifeā€™s camera and my thumb muscle memory is blindly pushing the old button spot! I must have changed the save size option. Hmmm, now whereā€™s that manual/?

Gary, Thanks, man. Youā€™re feeling exactly what I felt as I previewed others around pop off engine after engine. I was inspired by so many with great ideas on ways to go. My particular way was, 'Iā€™m going to build this (these) things from obtanium(fit right in with my MEN lifestyle) as Iā€™ve heard Mike LaRosa say. Waste can be gold, I see it every day! Try pricing out what your obtanium is going for new. Thatā€™ll inspire you! lol. I will post the design I used, a collection of ideas from others and a ā€œto the imbert numbersā€ hour glass hearth.
I have a bunch of ā€œhow I did itā€ pics I could post if youā€™d find it helpful. My trip to here has been a 1 1/2 yr or more learning curve and I have a unit that works pretty good so far. Are their more refinements on the way? Sure, this has become my Beta. Iā€™ve started a single air inlet manifold and will finish it today. Those were the pics I tried to post yesterday.
I have a small generator I hope to fire up on Our Independence Day.
Pepe

Hello Wayne,
I ran back and forth with that snow blower about 30 times! lol. Great afternoon! Got some really good tips from the members. I love this site.
Thank you, Pepe

Hi Pepe
Good to hear you are soon going to loaded generator running.
A loaded engine will draw more fuel gas.
More fuel gas demanded with get your reactor core heats UP and tarring problems AND some of the bridging problems that are caused by fuel chunks tarring together will decrease from the internal rising heat keeping the normal occurring upper system tars and volatiles, well; hot and volatile and then getting sucked down and flowing down through the oxidization zone as internal fuels for it just as you want them to be. Not being PITA wastes and Not just building up to the cooler outer walls causing problems.
This is why I have said from hard learned experience that blower or ejector flaring is a very poor substitute if the intent is to be engine running.
IT WILL NEVER SIMULATE THE OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS OF A PISTON INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE.
Yeah. Bold statement. But this is the Small Engine USERS section.
Flare staring geeks can go into another corner of the gasifier world and dream their dreams. Room enough here somewhere for all.

In your obtainium/MENS theme now you have a workable hearth go bone out a few self cleaning ovens for their good high temp 1000F capable insulation. Now try externally wrapping your oxidization/pyrolization/lower hopper zones that I can see in your system pictures. Hold in some of the heat now bleeding away and force it to rise up internally and watch your system performance jump up a big step.

Have a Happy 4th.
Woodgasing IS All about expressing your individual Freedom and Independence. It is about freeing yourself from the Energy company monopolists, their paid lobbyist and bought politicians.

Steve Unruh

1 Like

My 2 centsā€¦

I agree wholeheartedly with Steve on that

Hi Everyone, Happy Independence Day,
I finished my single air inlet manifold finally. Man, retrofits are really time consuming.
Plan to do this a part of the build from day 1. Canā€™t wait to fire it up later today!
Pepe

Happy Fourth to you! It is always takes more work once the punch list is complete. Keep it upā€¦your success inspires us!

Thanks Wayne, I also have been inspired by many. I have closed my pepesgasification site and want to thank all of you here for your posts. I will have the time to post my stuff here to a really responsive inspiring group.
The active members of my group, for the most part are already here anyway, now weā€™re all in one place, much more efficient and interesting.
Pepe

happy 4thā€¦ hope everyone has a wonderful day

1 Like

Hi Pepe, I tried to find your phone number today but nothing is for free anymore. Glad I checked in here to see you had shut your group down and it wasnā€™t yahoo that did it. Thanks for dragging ā€œBenā€™sā€ crowd out of the woodwork ā€¦ That had to be done !! ā€¦ If you get a chance and it doesnā€™t cost you, give me a call at 608-623-3000 and leave your number if you donā€™t get me or send me a note at PO Box 383 Linden, WI 53553. Of course that number is busy right now as Iā€™m typing on it. What the heck is Max going to do now ??? Stay well and have a nice 4th ā€¦ All fireworks are canceled here due to drought and burn bans but I will be throwing packs of crackers out on the highway today and plan two trips with the wood car ā€¦ Have to be careful thoughā€¦ Thanks again, Mike LaRosa

Hello All,

I to would like to wish everyone a good independence day.

Freedom and independence might have a little more meaning to this group compared to the average individuals.

I have been hauling cattle this morning and had to depend on no one for fuel.

Happy 4th to all

ā€œHAVE WOOD, WILL TRAVELā€

Hi Wayne, 10-4 ā€¦ Cavalier is running good ā€¦ Had the sheriff behind me on the way to town and I didnā€™t get caught for speeding (or for driving too slow) ā€¦ I caught up with him before the parade ā€¦ He was showing off his propane system and we got a chuckle out of the whole multifuel scene ā€¦ I was with his sister through the whole parade ā€¦ Didnā€™t know it till the end ā€¦ That was funny ā€¦ Sue survived trombone on the band truck but I havenā€™t seen her yet ā€¦ I need to jump in the pool and cool off ā€¦ Near 100 here ā€¦ Not very common ā€¦ Plan to fire the car up around 6 or so to go to the band concert ā€¦ Neighbor is riding with me ā€¦ Fireworks are canceled due to drought and dry grass ā€¦ BBB / SWEM ā€¦ Mike

Hi Everyone, My single port air inlet manifold retrofit beat the Titanic to the bottom. Leaked all over, so I scrapped it for a little redesign and a few other improvements.
First I will install a single port air inlet of a different design (and easier to weld). This will involve cutting off the existing air inlet elbows to make room for wrapping the flange with light steel leaving a single large air inlet. This inlet will be fed preheated air in the following way. I will insulate the burner shell. Next I will recapture the cooler and cyclone heat with a finned shroud on cyclone and a 4" stove pipe shroud around my S shape cooler.Therefore the air is pulled in at one end of the S cooler, exits and is fed to the inlet of the finned cyclone shroud, exits and is fed to the single port air inlet at a high temperature. The SPAI can also be insulated. This will all be in line and require some imaginative adapters between components. Canā€™t wait to get started. Welding on the fins will be good practice for an eventual go at the WK

UPDATE 1/29/13 I did not use this cyclone plan and posted pics later on of new design. I also will build a vertical tube cooler with condensate trap and drain.
Also I noticed the gas outlet port is missing.

Guys, Lest you think I designed it this way, the stove pipe fitting like this was pure good fortune. I built the cooler almost 2 yrs ago when I didnā€™t have a clue about gasifier preheat importanceā€¦ I might add that heavy galv like this is a bear to snap together over the copper. Iā€™m going to use 4" aluminum. The adjustable elbows need to be turned and tweeked but they will fit! Mind your matching ends. Pepe

UPDATE: 12-11-2014 I never followed through on this for preheat. I did build a more effective cooler. See later here.

My latest icon picture was taken on top of Whiteface Mountain (4897" msl). That is the famous Lake Placid at the base and KLKP is to the left not visible.

I got to looking at the snow blower and realized I had a snow fan. This has a bearing on the right in the housing(which also has a cut out for a tangential snow chute) and a drilled shaft adapter with 4 set screws connecting it to the auger drive. Itā€™s a 12" d. Iā€™m planning on removing the blower and use the pulley system adapted to run several alternators. Then Iā€™m going to make a blower fan out of the snow fan. Well, not right away, of course.

Shovel it, why? lol.

Hi Pepe
Good to see you thinkinā€™ and doing. BEST way to improve hearth performance is to conserve itā€™s own heats.
Your old snow blower is now your lemon tree of resources. Exhaust heat off of this is your 2nd most important heat to put back into the overall process on a small stationary system IMO. EG: GEK Hotottie and Mr Waynes and others engine exhaust to primary air heat exchangers. This heat is so intense it is difficult to use for fuel drying unless diluted down with blended in cooler air. Why waste it? Lower temp engine cooler air/coolant heats and fuel gas cooler heats are already just right for wood fuel drying.

Picture of my ā€œLemonaidā€ made up woodgas small engine starter made up from an old push mower and a common ~1000 watt PM DC motor like in the cheapest Superwinch. That gen setā€™s gone now and time to retrieve the motor to put back together my DC electric chain saw for behind the PU seat winter storm road clearing. Hmm. On second thought, This motor if repulleyed could really spin up a large blower impeller on 12VDC. And the hand made counter bored internally threaded shaft nut made up from the lawnmower axle nut was tricky to make. Hate just now to throw it away. Lemons = lemonaid = $ health.

Regards
Steve Unruh