My future project

I have a 94 F350 with a 460 F.I./automatic transmission. This is the truck that I’d like to start putting into the mix. What can I get started with to begin the project until your book with plans comes out? I’d like to start rounding up materials needed. Is there anyone in SE Kansas that has worked on your gassifier projects that I can hook up with to get some hands on experience with your models? Thanks for all your ingenuitiy and resourcefulness. I am looking forward to your book and plans!
Tom…

Hi TomC
DaveO. on another running topic line is doing one of these HD chassis Ford 460’s.
Be sure and follow his work and advice given too.
Regards
Steve Unruh

Tom,

Email sent. For others reading this, the Premium section is full of info to get you started. We have a video tutorial and some written material supporting it. Wayne is documenting this build in depth with video footage, and we are posting it in chronological order. That means you can follow along, and even though there’s no information about the end parts yet, you will have plenty of info in time. Several folks have already started theirs. The good thing is, Wayne can outbuild anybody!

HEY CHRIS, WAYNE TOLD ME LAST FALL TO COME DOWN TO ALABAMA AND LOOK AT HIS SYSTEM, AND TAKE A RIDE WITH HIM. I WISH I HAD TAKEN HIM UP ON THE INVITE, I WOULD PROBABLY BE DRIVING ON WOOD NOW, LOL, I HAVE NEVER STILL SEEN A GASIFIER OTHER THAN MY OWN EXCEPT ON THE INTERNET AND IN BOOKS, I HOPE TO SEE ALL THE GASSERS IN INDIANA IN MAY ?? AND TAKE A LOOK FIRST HAND AT EVERYONES , GASIFIER SYSTEMS,

Hi Tom , Dave, and Chris; this is a nice size truck some thing like I want to do eventually to pull a trailer. Will the 460 use the same size gasifier as the Dodge V 10. or the size that Mr. Wayne is running on his 318 Dakotas?
Both of these trucks should make nice conversions with a lot or power.

Ron,

Both Tom and Dave’s trucks will need the larger size like the V10 runs. It has more reserve capacity and Wayne runs a larger restriction in it.

We are sticking with a gasifier size that will all fit inside a 55 gallon drum. That dictates the diameter of the firetube. So to get more capacity for the V10 Wayne extends the height and “tunes” it differently.

These trucks are big! You fellows should bear in mind that gas engines do lose some power on wood, about 25%. If you’re planning some heavy towing with these flatbed trucks you might have to run gasoline. Woodgas will cover a lot of situations - it’s not a cure-all though.

This used to be my “run around” truck. When gas became over $3.00/gallon, I quit driving it all together and bought a jeep. I loved the truck and would like to be able to drive it again. The most I generally pulled was a 18’ trailer with pecans (our business); I will also be experimenting some with our dry pecan shell along with the wood in the gasifier (we use the shell in smokers and bbq grills and it smolders and burns like nobody’s business!) I had her up for sale for over a year, but with no serious inquiries, so I figure I’ll try to put the old girl back into use! If everything goes well, I’ll have to drop a re-man engine and transmission eventually, but without the cost of fuel it will offset those costs and be well worth it. Along with hopefully get another 200,000 miles out of her!

Looks like a great truck for the conversion. The truck I have now is a dodge deisel dually so I will be looking for a different one before long. But I can start collecting parts for now and start construction on the gassifier. One step at a time and we will all get there with Wayne and Chris’s help.