MY Grid's Gone Down - now what do I do!?

Steve, thanks for all the info.
Andy, from what I’ve seen, you just put a heavy wick like a “tiki torch” wick from a full container of dirty oil in a higher container leading down into a lower container. I did a quick search but didn’t find any pics.
I find a lot of low-hour RV generators for cheap. i’ve got 2 of the Generac 7kw, 2 cyl RV gens. I also have the 15kw propane Wisconsin/Kohler. i’m not too worried about exercising the propane gen. I also have 2 ex arrowboard gens. 1 Lister and 1 Yanmar. They now have 24 vdc alternators.
I’ve never had a suitcase gen.

2 Likes

When IKE came through here, we ran our whole office off of four of those little honda gensets for almost two weeks straight. It was nice to combine them together but they would only last for a couple of hours before refueling. We still have them and have used them plenty with family borrowing them and running one of my pumps. It was a lesson on fuel, in the end, we were paying and collecting employees fuel from their lawn mowers and spare cars; while paying them to hunt for gas to keep us running.

2 Likes

Robert, I ran a Northern Tool 80 cc Powerhorse Portable Inverter Generator — 2000 Surge Watts, 1600 Rated Watts, on a Simple-Fire Charcoal Generator. I used a Kill-a-Watt power meter on a line going to a multiple outlets and added loads until the Inverter overload light lit, and the inverter stopped putting out power. That happened at 830 watts of resistive loading. Therefore, I conclude that the power reduction is 50% on charcoal with exhaust recirculation and water drip. The built-in inverter would power a Harbor Freight $29 pancake aircompressor out in the yard to air up the leaky tires on my cattle trailer. It simply would not run any motors with an inrush surge current, like a miter saw or a power saw. That particular inverter has a carburetor assembly that is very easy to adapt to a woodgas flexible hose. To reset the inverter overload light, the motor has to be slowed to almost a full stop, and then when it reaches running RPM, the inverter is ready for a load. (I got really good at getting it to “almost stop” and then go again. Otherwise, it needs a pull on the rope starter.)
My wife has been reading Ted Koppel’s book, and Amazon flashed her an advertisement for a Wen Inverter Generator (79.7cc) for $389 delivered. She bought it, and is now asking me what kinds of guns we own and said she wants to get herself a new gun! She also bought a new gas jug, even though I have half a dozen. Now I have been informed that the Wen generator is going to be “Her generator”, and she plans to run it on gasoline. After nearly 50 years of marriage, it is o.k. with me…

5 Likes

RayM. what a hoot of a story. " Honey, just what do you think I’ve been doing the last few years?"

Yes when I’m gone and buried my wife will sell off my excellant 11.5 Miller/Onan welder. The Trace inverter, the Mec-Alta 10 kW head, the Jing Dong “Changfa” cutie China-diesel, the Rediline moter/generators will go too.
My BenBuilt Victory hearth gasifier set-up to go to the local museum.
Somebody local bound to snatch up the man portable swing blade saw mill.

She will keep “her” small chainsaw (one of three), the B&S engine’d woodsplitter, “her” rider lawn mower, “her” Honda push mower. My 4X4 Huskavarna walk behind, an all of my set-asides will go too.
My guns most all going out to pre-directed, responsible relatives.
Told her I’d come back haunting if she did not keep the “Joe Biden” special 20ga SxS “chicken hawk” gun.
As a nurse she said she is not into making bloody holes; but patching them up.
Pay-back’s a bitch.
Years now she has used me as an on-call generatorman trainer.
Used me as a vehicle disabler for the not able to safely drive anymore’s as declared by their Doctors and family.
So I Have forced her to learn to unload and make-safe all guns that I have. Good, safe things to know.
Shoot. She even precision air pistols better than me. Women usually do. Lower center of gravity.

I told her the 20 ga SXS Rossi she doesn’t even have to load. Can’t be told from external looking.
Scary, evil looking down those two big black holes to hell. Make a good heavy poke’em, swing’em club. Breaks down into three seconds to three easy packable sections. Reassembles just as fast.

Yes DavidB your advise is excellant. Just what I was thinking.
Thanks for the user reports Jason McB.
Leaving a couple of these for the wife she WIILL use them.

Still collecting long term youtube user portable inverter/gnerator links.

Robert Sorrell the most user-proofed woodgased systems are the 8000 watt single cylinder systems. YOU WANT electric starting!!
I can vouch that the US available Briggs and Stratton slant cylinder 8000 gen-sets are as rock solid dependable as an air cooled can be made. WILL on woodgas run strong and hard at least 2.5 kW output with just an air cleaner conversion. 200+ plus pounds keep the wheel package. This will have great motor starting reserve. Aceptable ferquency/voltage control except on the very most picky sensitves. Ditch out sell those senitives consumers is my policy. They arn’t the boss of me!
Only the Wife.

Later gators
Steve Unruh

4 Likes

Thanks for the real world numbers, @ray_menke. Think I’ll get something bigger for my power down off grid needs.

1 Like

This has been a great thread. You’ve sold me on the honda. My water pump 250’ downhill at the spring is 220 though. I see there is a companion unit available but I guess that doesn’t get you another leg.

1 Like

Thanks for the information @SteveUnruh

Do you have an opinion on the Briggs and Stratton V twin? Thinking about using one on my John Deere 140. It’s got a 14 horsepower Kohler on it now. It works really well on gasoline but I’m maxing it out a lot doing garden work. Was thinking about putting the 18 horse on it because this is a common conversion and I would keep some of my power if I run on charcoal.

2 Likes

Carrier Transicold makes a very high quality 240 VAC generator head that is 5 Kw. They cost about $ 4500 new. They are available used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390823633793?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2 Likes

Hey RobertS. if you can afford it I’d go with a Kawasaki V-twin 18 horsepower; or a Kohler 20-25hp V-twin.
Why? I know these both well. I do not have on hands on the B&S V-twins.
S.U.
Oh. Postscript add. Pass on the Honda V-twins for your tractor. They are smaller displacement and do not have the grunt torque. Ha! See proves I am not Honda pixilated.
S.U.

2 Likes

This thread has really got me thinking. Was talking on the chat with Chris, and he set me straight on the point you were trying to make with the suitcase generators. ( you weren’t saying that this would be a great grid down wood/charcoal gas back up, but just a backup in general.)
Is anyone else capable of going without grid power for 90 days? I know I am NOT. Thanks again Steve for the thread.

2 Likes

Boy do I feel like a dunce in a college class. I have 3 generators ready to use but don’t even know how many KW they put out let lone what an inverter is in connection with a generator.
I did want to post for Ray M that recently I bought my wife a 410 pump shot gun. The point I want to make it was a little smaller than normal ---- a junior size. She loves it because it fits herTomC

3 Likes

Hi Tom,
You gotta love a woman with a gun.
Pepe

Tom, a regular A.C generator must run at a constant rpm that is a multiple of 60 to get 60 cycle power. An inverter-generator does not need to run at a multiple of 60 rpm, usually 1800 or 3600. That means it can idle down and still give 60 cycle power.
http://www.yamahaef2000is.com/conventional_generator_vs_inverter_generator.html
It revs up when more power is demanded.
For myself, I’d rather just run everything on D.C. and skip 10 sq. ft of circuit boards. I have a few inverters for A.C. loads where needed. My Dakota has a 120 amp alternator. I also have a 3,000 watt inverter for the truck. I can carry along a chop saw to cut wood if needed. The truck is 12VDC. Everything else is set up for 24 VDC.

5 Likes

I am still learning a lot from all of you, for the last 3 or 4 years, but I can share an insight that came to me a few years after we set up the solar array and got off the grid a few years back. I dropped out of college back in 1970 after realizing that the only lifestyle that was worth living /and sustainable was homesteading. A few years later I found myself homesteading, and part time jobbing and lived the next 13 years without electricity. But here’s the insight part:
BUT I always had to buy gasoline to get to work. I didn’t have a generator, although I eventually did get a chain saw that used a bit of gas.

This is why Wayne’s re-design of wood gasification is so amazing and important for me: it finally holds forth the promise of cutting the last shackle the System has on us from using our IC engines without their gasoline.
Thanks to Gary G. I know have a way to run my generator that is our battery charger for those days (often in November and December here in ME), just need to find the time to hook it up to the charcoal gasifier (thanks Gary!!!)
I don’t worry that much about no electricity. Lived without it long enough to know it’s not a killer. Just makes life easier. What I don’t know is how to live with umpteen neighbors who don’t raise their own food when the lights go out. I’m counting on the Lord to deal with them. Since I don’t have a plan for that small issue myself…

7 Likes

Yes Pepe. If you don’t show her love— she can shoot you. No problem. I’ve always been a lover not a fighterTomC

3 Likes

Steve you hit a note that made my ears pick up. Do you have a “swing blade” saw mill? Did you build it?? Any pictures?TomC

http://endtimesreport.com/cleaning_engine_oil.html

There aren’t any pics with this, but the explanation is very good. As a bonus, the battery reconditioning info seems pretty valuable in a pinch too.

Regards,

Garry Tait, MB

1 Like

This fellow is replacing the elecrolyte with alum water to restore a bad battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Supe1a3LW2U others have used epsom salts and water

Andy my understanding is it will bond with the sulphate on the plates and sink to the bottom. You end up with cleaner plates but weak acid. I have never ventured down That road myself though. The stumbling block for me is the next step to give you back capacity should be replacing the acid and I just don’t know what the safe disposal of a lead acid solution is…
David Baillie

2 Likes

I remember when I was I youngster being taught to use two asprin per cell and distilled water to revive a lead acid battery. Not common practice anymore? Apparently the acetylsalicylic acid is supposed to clean the plates?
Now to share my experiences with suitcase generators, Ryobi anyway. I bought two last summer thinking that if one goes out during the winter I’ll have a backup. Well, both of them were brought back to Home Depot 3 weeks ago and one is on its way back. I purchased a third one 3 weeks ago so I could have power because we’ve only seen a glimpse of the sun since I installed solar. The third Ryobi gave out last night. I brought it back to Home Depot to exchange it. As far as size, these units are perfect for my needs. Durability, not so much. Having 3 bad is not just bad luck, either I’m doing something wrong or these machines are the inferior. The reviews I found last night point to both possibilities. Apparently the oil is supposed to be changed every 20 hours of use? Wow, that would be every3-4 days. I am using the oil they are supplying me which is 10w-30 do you think if I use a different grade oil it would increase the longevity of the little engines? Fortunately there is a two year warranty and it will carry me well through the winter. I have a few other options to explore when the snow disappears. Wood gas. :slight_smile:

4 Likes