My little "outback" "farmer" charcoal gasifier

Based on my own experiences and learned on DOW , subsequential learned from the feedback during teaching around here…

This little one is kinda expressing my opinion on how i think a gasifier “should” be…

Not everybody is a genius as Wayne Keith or Garry Gilmore, or has the life experience as Steve U, nor they have the drive of so many builders around here on DOW… Seeking for perfection…

There is no bad or wrong, merely it has to suit YOUR needs, be it having fun or needing the monetary benefits…

Anyway, long story short…

Based on the KIS(F) principle ( F stands for Fire, acknowledging the work of GG, Keep It Simple Fire )

This gasifier will run “flawless” if:
Your charcoal is A ok
Your Filters are clean
Your engine is OK and well maintained

It is not a “Lit and forget gasifier” , gasifiers never are…
This little thing requires daily maintenance, but similar as a woodstove, ash bucket…

I will post some dimensional / drawings / parts / pictures and after that running it on a small genset and waterpump ( my favorit )

15 Likes

also will make a 3D sketchup drawing

But i won’t spent time on making tutorial video’s or such things…

5 Likes

Filters i am using for this:
1: cooky jar style

2: option coarse foam and sticky oil

9 Likes

18 Likes

Wow! That surprises me! Is that the gasifier you are building? You are always using a lot of PVC. Is that tower high enough to cool the gases and not meld the pvc?
Thanks for the pictures, that makes things clear.

5 Likes

Type and size of fuel i use for it, can be any other source as well

sieb

10 Likes

Hi Koen
Pl. send length diameter, height of nozzles, nozzle size and charcoal size, filtration system
Etc information of your farmer gasifier

1 Like

Also send the charcoal making process for your biochar as your biochar making process is sound for here farm residue which is technical non useful for other gasifier due density and thickness

1 Like

Somehow i am getting forgetful…

Diameter pipe 5"
Length 4 to 5 Ft
Nozzle is reduction (weld) small is 1/2" to 1"
Height from bottom to nozzle = 4"
The nozzle protrude about 1" inwards the pipe

The minimum level i use is about 2 Ft above the nozzle
The gasifier is connected to the engine frame for vibration

This gasifier is left to cool , then tipped over for cleanout and refilled with new dry charcoal.
The old charcoal sieved out after drying.
I prefer to start each load with the bottom half new fresh ( works for me )

Size charcoal: biggest pieces pass 1/2"screen. Smallest are larger then 1/8"

The way i make charcoal, retort style: the center pipe stops emitting smoke (smokeless charcoal )

Also: since my nozzle is outside bigger then nozzle tip, it extracts the heat from the tip to the outside, hence protecting the nozzle from overheating.
Also notice the extra welding where it connects with the reactor pipe.

10 Likes

Thanks Koen ,
For sharing your experience
Vinod

2 Likes

Hi Koen,
Just sack of information but have tried other farm residue like stems of cotton plant millet wheat and sorghum stem for making char and used in your farmer gasifier

1 Like

Don’t know how I missed this before. Any further updates? Any added H2O?

1 Like

Hi Koen,
where do you find these beautiful little buzzards. Do you have an online address to refer to us?
Thierry

1 Like

Hi Thierry,

They are called “concentric welding reducers” or “Butt-weld concentric reducers”

I find them local or also can order online, you might find them easy nearby if you use the google search

4 Likes

Maraming Salamat Po for the Lazada link.

1 Like